No Labels

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: 2024 Presidential race

Post by Mori Chu »

This "No Labels" 3rd party worries me. They might siphon off just enough votes to help Trump win in '24.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is there a reason they’d siphon more Democrat votes than Republican votes?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:54 am
Yes; the theory is that Biden beat Trump in '20 because most independent and moderate voters went for him. And, a decent subset of Republican voters found Trump distasteful and reluctantly voted for Biden. If there is a 3rd party candidate who seems "moderate" and isn't a Democrat, a lot of the aforementioned folks might vote for them. But that ends up being a lot of folks who voted for Biden in '20, so it hurts him more.

Of course that might turn out to be false, but I think there has been some polling to indicate this kind of thinking.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's an article from a month or two ago about No Labels.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/pl ... t-00085809

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:54 am
Yes; the theory is that Biden beat Trump in '20 because most independent and moderate voters went for him. And, a decent subset of Republican voters found Trump distasteful and reluctantly voted for Biden. If there is a 3rd party candidate who seems "moderate" and isn't a Democrat, a lot of the aforementioned folks might vote for them. But that ends up being a lot of folks who voted for Biden in '20, so it hurts him more.

Of course that might turn out to be false, but I think there has been some polling to indicate this kind of thinking.
Gotcha, that makes sense, thanks

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Manchin President?

Pfft…

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Nodack »

I think we had a conversation about this awhile back. I thought a non partisan group working together would be a good thing. Turns out it is the opposite of non partisan. It’s partisan posing as non partisan to benefit Trumps election.

No Labels Duped me. I won’t let them dupe America
https://thehill.com/opinion/congress-bl ... e-america/
When I first came to Congress, I was enamored with the alleged ideal behind No Labels and their mission to take partisanship out of politics. A world where people can work together on ideas that help the American people despite ideological differences.
Boy was I wrong.

Their non-partisan agenda is and always has been dishonest. My first disagreement with No Labels came when I realized they were only looking out for megadonor special interests, advocating for lowering taxes on the rich and powerful, and weakening regulations for big business, making it easier for them to exploit workers or the environment.
After a short while, I became concerned about who was funding them. One day, I called them to ask, and they told me they would “quietly remove me from their membership rolls.” I told them, “I don’t do anything quietly.”

Instead of staying out of the current presidential race, No Labels is setting up this scheme to be a spoiler in the 2024 presidential election to prevent Biden from being reelected. They are working behind the scenes to get Trump, an existential threat to our democracy, back into the White House.
They know what they’re doing. No Labels doesn’t want a president in the White House who stands up to corporate interests like Joe Biden. They want someone like Donald Trump who turns a blind eye to rules, regulations and laws.
No Labels isn’t even hiding it anymore. They just announced they are on the ballot in 10 states, including Arizona and Nevada where President Biden won by a very narrow margin in 2020.

No Labels is doubling down on this anti-democratic approach. One of their billionaire donors is Harlan Crow — the same Harlan Crow who has been acting as Justice Clarence Thomas’s benefactor, taking him and his extreme MAGA wife, Virginia Thomas, on trips all over the country.

Now why would major Republican donor Harlan Crow give money to No Labels for a third-party candidate? Because he understands it’s all just a ruse to get Donald Trump back into the White House. To cut taxes on the wealthiest Americans. To eliminate regulations for polluters. And to push for an extreme agenda.

Mori Chu

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Mori Chu »

No Labels is basically just a bunch of folks who are threatening a third-party Presidential campaign for two reasons: (1) to soak up a bunch of donations, and (2) to extract concessions out of the two major parties, especially Biden and the Democrats. They primarily pull votes away from Joe Biden, so they're seen as a potential spoiler that could tip the 2024 race to Trump. They claim not to want that, and maybe they're sincere in that claim. But a lot of their donors are wealthy Republicans, so basically the people pumping money into No Labels -do- want Trump to win, and they know that funding No Labels would help make that more likely. So I think of the actual No Labels candidates as pawns, rubes being taken advantage of by rich GOP donors for their own ends.

Mori Chu

No Labels

Post by Mori Chu »

Thought I'd make a thread about this party, since we have had some discussions about them. They may run a 3rd party candidate in the 2024 election.

Here's an article criticizing them from The Hill.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: No Labels

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The real life Conheads.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.