Biden 2024

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Biden 2024

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:06 am
That’s unfortunate…I’m not even sure I want to vote. I’d obviously prefer Biden but I’m not excited about an 85 year old president
Not many are. I think Gavin Newsom will be the next democrat to step up but you're probably right, not until the next election. But I'm definitely voting against Trump. I don't care who it is. He's not only the worst president ever but one of the worst humans ever.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m with you there…just hard to be motivated to vote when I have to choose someone I don’t want on either side. They should let you use your vote to take away a vote from someone…then I could not vote for Biden but still take a vote away from Trump haha.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Biden has been mediocre, not great; and I think his age is an issue. But I just don't see the argument for not voting, or voting 3rd party, etc. The alternative to a mediocre old Biden 2nd term is a literal fascist dictator who is going to destroy our democracy. That is absolutely catastrophic and worth plugging one's nose and voting for the so-so old guy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:14 pm
I think Biden has been mediocre, not great; and I think his age is an issue. But I just don't see the argument for not voting, or voting 3rd party, etc. The alternative to a mediocre old Biden 2nd term is a literal fascist dictator who is going to destroy our democracy. That is absolutely catastrophic and worth plugging one's nose and voting for the so-so old guy.
Sure but I’m in a state that is voting for Trump…if I was in Arizona I’d probably vote

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden is old and I would prefer someone younger for sure. Republicans hate him of course and half the Dems either don’t like/hate him or just think he’s too old.

He gets bad marks on the economy in most scorecards. He gets normal marks on the economy from me. Covid= Planet goes into hibernation. Covid ends= Demand skyrockets. Supply neutered by Covid can’t keep up yet. Months long delays in shipping. Inflation happens. Fed raises interest rates to slow demand. Inflation has slowed. Supply chains returning to normal. Eggs are back and cheaper. Gas is cheapest in awhile. Unemployment low. Stocks high. Wages have gone up. The recession everyone keeps talking about that’s coming any moment for a year and a half has never materialized. People talk all doom and gloom on the economy. I just don’t see it. I think this has all been handled the way it’s always been handled. I give him at least a B grade.

Biden has united Europe behind Ukraine. He and the US have been the undisputed leader in this. After Trump I wasn’t sure how long it would take Europe to welcome us back to the club. Russia sped that up for Biden. He should send him a thank you note. With our new Republican speaker it looks like aid to Ukraine could stop. He said sure, we will give more aid to Ukraine but first, you have to do this for us. That reminds me of the time Trump said to Ukraine, sure, we will give you more aid but first, you have to do this for us. Trump was impeached for that. In Congress it’s just another day.

Biden on Israel? I’ll take a pass.

His son Hunter? He’s definitely the problem child of the family. He is probably guilty of the things he is accused of. Lying , tax evasion, hookers, drugs. Maybe he should run for President. He’d probably poll well. Republicans are trying to tie Hunter’s legal problems to Joe and have started impeachment talks. Sounds like Benghazi investigation #10 to me but, we will see. What is Joe being accused of? Helping get Hunter a job he didn’t deserve? Hunter selling access to Joe for money? There was evidence access to Trump was being sold at Maro Lago. Trumps son in law became a senior advisor for Trump while Trump was President and spent a lot of time in Saudi Arabia. Right after Trump leaves office the Saudi’s invest 2 billion in Jared’s new company? Ok

Biden is old. He has fallen. He stumbles over words sometimes. For me all his moves have been standard American President moves. No Twitter rants attacking everyone. No trying to dismantle the government for his own benefit. Standing with allies. Economy not perfect but it never is perfect. He’s too old but, he is doing fine by me.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:13 pm
He gets bad marks on the economy in most scorecards. He gets normal marks on the economy from me.
Eh.
Mike Johnson wrote:Roe v. Wade gave constitutional cover to the elective killing of unborn children in America… As a result, the lives of more than 63 million American children have been lost… You think about the implications of that on the economy. We’re all struggling here to cover the bases of Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid and all the rest. If we had all those able-bodied workers in the economy, we wouldn’t be going upside down and toppling over like this.
Eh. For the first time in my life, the GOP talking point, which has always been, “Jobs, jobs, jobs! Jobs, jobs, jobs!” has been flipped to “Too many jobs, not enough workers.” That’s an impressive achievement.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

For world leaders that sounds like a common theme. “We need more people! Have more babies!”

Vladimir Putin has urged Russian women to have eight or more children and make large families “the norm” amid soaring numbers of casualties in his war against Ukraine.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 55957.html#

Japan is investing around 3.5 trillion yen in a push to increase the number of children. The country's acute population problem is getting worse quicker than expected. The Japanese government on Thursday announced specific measures to curb falling birth rates by boosting financial support for households with children.
https://www.dw.com/en/japan-to-channel- ... 20children.

Desperate for More Children, China Urges Soldiers to Procreate
https://www.voanews.com/a/desperate-for ... 89319.html#

Australians want more children than they have, so are we in the midst of a demographic crisis?
https://theconversation.com/australians ... isis-81547

In the US’s case, more younger people to pay into the system to help pay for the old people that already paid into the system and want their return on their investment.

In Russia’s case more children to replace the 300-500k soldiers killed in Ukraine.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, our country is doing well under Biden. No real complaints. But he is too old and should have given the reins to somebody younger. This is Ruth Bader Ginsberg all over again. I don't think there should be an age limit on the president but there should be an acuity test. Just like a driver's license. Biden has definitely slowed down. And his lifelong stuttering issue sure doesn't help his cause.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Records released by House Republicans show that Joe Biden repeatedly emailed Hunter Biden’s business associate in 2014
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/records-re ... rcna130682

I guess word has gotten out to the Dem controlled corporate press to start going after Biden.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This doesn't fair well, but if interest rates drop and the economy booms, things will change, imo.

Joe Biden Campaign Volunteers Are Quitting in 'Droves'
Jan 03, 2024 at 6:47 PM EST
https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-camp ... es-1857610
A group of staffers working on President Joe Biden's reelection campaign warned the president that his volunteers are quitting "in droves" over his handling of Israel's military response in the Gaza Strip.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:44 am
Records released by House Republicans show that Joe Biden repeatedly emailed Hunter Biden’s business associate in 2014
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/records-re ... rcna130682

I guess word has gotten out to the Dem controlled corporate press to start going after Biden.
“Biden’s business associate, Eric Schwerin, worked as Joe Biden’s financial adviser from 2009 to 2017 and helped him file his tax returns.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:37 pm
This doesn't fair well, but if interest rates drop and the economy booms, things will change, imo.

A group of staffers working on President Joe Biden's reelection campaign warned the president that his volunteers are quitting "in droves" over his handling of Israel's military response in the Gaza Strip.
They quit because Joe supported Israel. Interest rates might drop because inflation has gone down. Republicans were going to run on Joe’s bad economy but the economy is doing too well for that so now they are forced to say the only reason the economy is doing well is because Joe is somehow manipulating the numbers.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Kind of reminds me of the border. Republicans are big on spending on the border and say Dems refuse to do anything. Joe and Dems just offered billions for help at the border and now their new Speaker of the house says the Border Patrol doesn’t want any more money or help so he is against spending that money beefing up the Border Patrol.

Texas Democrat blasts Speaker Johnson for scoffing at $14 billion in border funds
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4389 ... der-funds/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:37 pm
In2ition wrote:

They quit because Joe supported Israel. Interest rates might drop because inflation has gone down. Republicans were going to run on Joe’s bad economy but the economy is doing too well for that so now they are forced to say the only reason the economy is doing well is because Joe is somehow manipulating the numbers.
I understand why they quit, and that's why I put my own comment in about the economy and how it will effect Biden's campaign.

I know you broke $40K this past year. What kind of increase was that for you from the previous year?

I don't feel this great economy, as you do, but my situation is different than yours. I'm happy for you that you believe from your own anecdotal evidence that it's going great.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:40 pm
Kind of reminds me of the border. Republicans are big on spending on the border and say Dems refuse to do anything. Joe and Dems just offered billions for help at the border and now their new Speaker of the house says the Border Patrol doesn’t want any more money or help so he is against spending that money beefing up the Border Patrol.

Texas Democrat blasts Speaker Johnson for scoffing at $14 billion in border funds
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4389 ... der-funds/
Was border money the only thing in the bill? If not, it's just political posturing when you put a poison pill in the bill. If they don't go for it, you can claim that they don't want to fund the border. If they do go for it, you can paint them to their own constituents that they did what they promised they wouldn't do. Politics is dirty business.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:47 pm
Nodack wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I understand why they quit, and that's why I put my own comment in about the economy and how it will effect Biden's campaign.

I know you broke $40K this past year. What kind of increase was that for you from the previous year?

I don't feel this great economy, as you do, but my situation is different than yours. I'm happy for you that you believe from your own anecdotal evidence that it's going great.
Is the economy ever great? I don’t know if the economy is great. It’s great compared to what people have been saying about it. Almost every economic stat there is says it’s doing well. There are always people struggling in every economy since there have been people. Politics dictate that the side not in power must complain about the economy. It’s a given.

I don’t remember the numbers from the previous year. We were just coming out of Covid. The Covid year was basically not working at all.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Biden has made some liberals mad with his handling of Israel/Gaza, but I bet it isn't the most salient issue by election day in November. These frustrated liberal voters aren't voting for Trump. My guess is they'll come home.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:51 pm
Biden has made some liberals mad with his handling of Israel/Gaza, but I bet it isn't the most salient issue by election day in November. These frustrated liberal voters aren't voting for Trump. My guess is they'll come home.
That would also be my best guess.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
In2ition wrote:

The facts tell us the economy is doing great. Not anecdotal evidence as that differs from person to person.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:02 pm
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:
In2ition wrote:

The facts tell us the economy is doing great. Not anecdotal evidence as that differs from person to person.
I don't believe all indicators say it's great, but I understand that there are a few that can be pointed to to say that it is.