Biden 2024

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Biden 2024

Post by Mori Chu »

One thing I find annoying when talking about the economy is that a lot of people just choose to decide that the economy is "doing well" or "doing badly" and it's clearly mostly just based on whether their party is in power or not. It's like these surveys where a lot of GOP voters thought the economy was in crisis right before Trump got elected, but it was doing great the moment he got elected, even before he had enacted any new economic policy. A lot of Dem voters are the same way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Has nothing to do with what party is in charge for me. I did well during the Trump years as well.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The law firm representing Burisma, the Ukraine gas giant paying Hunter Biden millions, just registered as a Foreign Agent for its work in 2016.

This proves once and for all Hunter Biden violated FARA.

The firm was trying to prevent an investigation from the Obama admin and got meetings with high-level appointees including key anti-Trump impeachment witness Marie Yovanovitch.

Hunter Biden was engaged in the same exact work. Will he get raided like Rudy Giuliani?

Speaking of getting raided, didn't he also defy a subpoena? Will he get raided and arrested for Contempt of Congress like Steve Bannon and Peter Navarro? Joe said that you should be prosecuted Contempt of Congress if you defy a Congressional subpoena.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t know what you are trying to prove. Hunter did work for Burisma. Marie Yovanovitch was the ambassador to Ukraine until Trump got her out of there for refusing to go along with his extortion plans. She was a key witness in Trumps first impeachment because she was the ambassador to Ukraine at the time of his extortion attempts. Of course she would be involved in any US dealings with Ukraine under Obama because she was the ambassador to Ukraine.

The whole Ukraine corruption thing is complicated. I have tried to understand and it comes down to Russia and the West fighting for Ukraine.

Hunter Biden was named a paid board member of Burisma Holdings in April 2014. The company’s founder was a political ally of Viktor Yanukovych, Ukraine’s Russia-friendly president, who was driven out in February 2014 by mass protests. Yanukovych’s ouster prompted the Obama administration to move quickly to deepen ties with Ukraine’s new government. Joe Biden played a leading role, traveling to Ukraine and speaking frequently with its new Western-friendly president.

Defying subpoenas seems like the in thing in Washington these days. Kevin McCarthy, Scott Perry, Jim Jordan, Andy Biggs and Mo Brooks are all members of Congress who defied their subpoenas. They should all be in contempt too.

You think you have a gotcha moment. I don’t see it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:09 am
I don’t know what you are trying to prove. Hunter did work for Burisma. Marie Yovanovitch was the ambassador to Ukraine until Trump got her out of there for refusing to go along with his extortion plans. She was a key witness in Trumps first impeachment because she was the ambassador to Ukraine at the time of his extortion attempts. Of course she would be involved in any US dealings with Ukraine under Obama because she was the ambassador to Ukraine.

The whole Ukraine corruption thing is complicated. I have tried to understand and it comes down to Russia and the West fighting for Ukraine.

Hunter Biden was named a paid board member of Burisma Holdings in April 2014. The company’s founder was a political ally of Viktor Yanukovych, Ukraine’s Russia-friendly president, who was driven out in February 2014 by mass protests. Yanukovych’s ouster prompted the Obama administration to move quickly to deepen ties with Ukraine’s new government. Joe Biden played a leading role, traveling to Ukraine and speaking frequently with its new Western-friendly president.

Defying subpoenas seems like the in thing in Washington these days. Kevin McCarthy, Scott Perry, Jim Jordan, Andy Biggs and Mo Brooks are all members of Congress who defied their subpoenas. They should all be in contempt too.

You think you have a gotcha moment. I don’t see it.
Seems that Congressional members don't get prosecuted. Hunter isn't a Congressional member. Do you see the difference? Should Congressional members be arrested for defying a Congressional subpoena? Perhaps. Hunter defied it quite publically and disrespectfully with a thumb to the nose and his tongue out.

The Ukraine company is retroactively applying as a Foreign Agent in the US 7-8 yrs later? This just shows that Hunter needs to be charged for violating FARA, like others have.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t see a difference. If you get subpoenaed then you are required by law to show up no matter who you are. Hunter is required to show up the same as them. They should have been charged with contempt as he should be.

I don’t know about you FARA thing. Let me know when that happens.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Maybe we should look at who was arrested for Contempt of Congress and work backwards on who wasn't. I suspect that if you start arresting everyone who defies it from Congress, you are definitely using it as a weapon on your opponents. It feels like the rules of Congress are set to not attack other Congress members. Didn't Eric Holder also defy the subpoena and wasn't held accountable?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It seems like everyone is defying subpoenas. Sort of like the car pool lane. Everyone knows the rules but only half the people in the car pool lanes are there legally because they know the odds of being busted is minimal.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

But, only certain people have been raided by SWAT teams, hauled out in handcuffs in front of the press, and then sentenced and/or spent time in jail for it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Only certain people get pulled over for driving in the car pool lane.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:17 am
Only certain people get pulled over for driving in the car pool lane.
Sorry, I think your analogy falls quite short.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Everyone knows the FBI only goes after Republicans under the direction of Joe Biden.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shocker!!!!

Democratic Donors Bought Hunter Biden’s Artwork, Gallery Owner Tells House Investigators
Sources with direct knowledge of the interview of a New York art dealer said Hunter Biden's artwork was sold to two or three Democratic donors
Published 01/09/24 03:01 PM ET
https://themessenger.com/politics/democ ... estigators

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So you think he should go to prison for selling artwork? Maybe they did just want to give him money and gave him money for art they didn’t even like? Is that a crime? Trump makes millions in donations selling nothing but empty promises.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't care if Hunter goes to prison or not. Everyone knew at the time that his artwork was going to be bought for big money and going to donors, but the mainstream media still said that was a conspiracy theory and claimed he's the next coming of Picasso. I guess it wasn't a conspiracy theory after all. I'm shocked.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This has been a weird story, because it keeps changing ever so slightly. I thought it wasn't a big deal at first, but it's just weird that he didn't inform them of his absense prior.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That story about SecDef is quite odd. He got ill and didn't notify anybody that he was out of commission for several days. Just a mistake on his part? Why wouldn't he let anybody know he was going to be out? Not sure. He serves such a crucial role in the government, hopefully he got a real dressing down and will never do such a thing again. If there's anything more to it, I might even support further punitive measures, but I don't know what the precedent is.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:23 pm
I don't care if Hunter goes to prison or not. Everyone knew at the time that his artwork was going to be bought for big money and going to donors, but the mainstream media still said that was a conspiracy theory and claimed he's the next coming of Picasso. I guess it wasn't a conspiracy theory after all. I'm shocked.
I don't keep track of everything "the mainstream media" says, but I haven't heard anybody saying he was a Picasso. I myself think his selling of art for big money is super sketchy. Even if he doesn't have any ill intent, clearly some of the people who bought his art did so because he had a famous name, because they hoped it would endear them to his family and/or to the US government. I don't know if there is any real legal recourse for such a thing; banning family members of politicians from being an artist or selling products or creations seems like a violation of their Constitutional rights. But it's sketchy, for sure. I don't really know what you can do about it. And, of course, if any sketchy money went to Hunter Biden that then somehow influenced Joe Biden or got into the finances of Joe Biden, that would be a big scandal and should be reported and lead to consequences. My understanding is that there's currently no hard evidence of that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't think there is anything that ties this to criminal behavior, but it's also a bit sketchy that the buyers were so secretive for so long. Might be a big nothing burger, but starving artists probably wish they were born with the privilege of being a Biden.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:04 pm
That story about SecDef is quite odd. He got ill and didn't notify anybody that he was out of commission for several days. Just a mistake on his part? Why wouldn't he let anybody know he was going to be out? Not sure. He serves such a crucial role in the government, hopefully he got a real dressing down and will never do such a thing again. If there's anything more to it, I might even support further punitive measures, but I don't know what the precedent is.
He had Prostate cancer surgery. Everyone is talking like this is huge scandal because he didn’t tell anybody. I see he should have told someone but a huge scandal I’m not seeing. Slow news day?