Ferguson, Missouri shooting of Michael Brown

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Ferguson, Missouri shooting of Michael Brown

Post by Indy »

I really hope this goes to trial.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It can be the OJ / Zimmerman trial of 2014. Complete with media circus.

Cap

Post by Cap »

I think Oscar Pistorius wins the "OJ / Zimmerman trial of 2014" award.

The Grand Jury is expected to be meeting on this one until mid-October. If there is a trial, it won't start until 2015.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/fury ... 0339f.html

Lastly came the foreshadowing of further violence if Wilson is not charged and convicted.

“If Darren Wilson gets off, you all better bring every army you all have got. ‘Cause it’s going down,” said one speaker.

Yup, that's bound to make things go smoothly. Sigh.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I haven't heard any updates on Ferguson for a while. Are there still protests? Is it still bad? Has it died down? I can't find anything on a few sites I just checked.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I follow most of it via Twitter. It's still crazy. But more so about the connections to high power people in the state and the lies about the case.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Indy

Post by Indy »

This is only getting worse.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Seriously, read this book, Indy . . .

Lays out a lot of the reasons why and how we've gone from community policing to the cluster we have now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

That summary seems to only address part of it--although that is quite a bit of judgment for someone that hasn't read it!

I have plenty of LE people in my family. It isn't just the way we have been militarizing our police forces. It is about the type of people that are attracted to low paying, dangerous jobs, that let you carry weapons, boss people around, and ignore the law you enforce (in many instances). It is flawed from the start.

The way we currently allow our local police forces to run reminds me of the Franklin quote about freedom. ["You've killed the act, GOB"]

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229525

Still kind of up in the air - from the article:

"So all I get from this report is that there is in fact forensic evidence of a struggle in the SUV and the discharge of the officer's weapon, which left forensic evidence in the vehicle and on the deceased. That looks solid.

However, that still does not result in the remaining shots being justified unless the officer was being charged by Brown at the time he fired, and the forensics fail to document that as having happened."

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote: I have plenty of LE people in my family. It isn't just the way we have been militarizing our police forces. It is about the type of people that are attracted to low paying, dangerous jobs, that let you carry weapons, boss people around, and ignore the law you enforce (in many instances). It is flawed from the start.
Exactly this. Exactly. Our greatest minds do not become police officers. My cousin is a bleedin' idiot and he's a police officer. I never understood how he got through the academy.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Ferguson, Missouri shooting of Michael Brown

Post by Indy »

The academy doesn't teach you to be smart or to solve crimes. It teaches you how to not die and how to deal with common interactions (like domestic violence and traffic stops) while coming away with admitted guilt from someone.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

carey

Post by carey »

Dan H wrote: So all I get from this report is that there is in fact forensic evidence of a struggle in the SUV and the discharge of the officer's weapon, which left forensic evidence in the vehicle and on the deceased. That looks solid.

However, that still does not result in the remaining shots being justified unless the officer was being charged by Brown at the time he fired, and the forensics fail to document that as having happened."
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch kind of fubar'd stuff with their article. This Daily Kos article points out all the ways that the Dispatch made assumptions and outright misquoted the forensic expert they interviewed: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/2 ... l=facebook
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H wrote:However, that still does not result in the remaining shots being justified unless the officer was being charged by Brown at the time he fired, and the forensics fail to document that as having happened."
Exactly. Brown wasn't a good guy, but there still hasn't been any evidence that after he was shot several times, and running away from him, or even after he put his arms up and turned around and said "OK, OK, OK," that there was ever an imminent threat.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

There's also no evidence that he ever put his hands up and said "OK, OK". In fact, there is evidence that shows his arms *weren't* up, and that he was charging the cop. He wasn't running away, there were no bullets in his back. The initial report that caused all of this was a lie from his friend that he had just robbed that store with.... if i shot someone that size and they still kept coming at me, i would keep on firing...

Indy

Post by Indy »

watch the video earlier in the thread of the construction workers that was recorded immediately after he was killed.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

I'd like to see some raw video of the contractors as opposed to newscasts - less susceptible to editing.

Like this - posted just days after the shooting. Listen to the voices behind (?) the cameraman :

[youtube][/youtube]