Another one.

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
carey

Another one.

Post by carey »

The police in Berkely, MO shot and killed another unarmed black man, Antonio Martin. Only 18 years old. It just happened tonight and there's not a lot of information yet, but apparently they never called the paramedics and let him bleed out for over 30 minutes according to witnesses.

I'm not sure that community can take another death. This is incredibly sad. Why does it keep happening?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Another one.

Post by carey »

If anyone is awake this is a live stream, it's about to get real ugly.

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't watch that tonight. I just can't fathom being black and being there. I don't think I could contain my outrage, especially if I had kids there.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:I can't watch that tonight. I just can't fathom being black and being there. I don't think I could contain my outrage, especially if I had kids there.
It's bad. Stuff being thrown at police, police setting off flash grenades *next to a gas pump.* The girl filming was maced 3 times, luckily not in the face. Police have tasers out and are lighting them up to threaten people. Police have no visible name tags.... they've learned absolutely nothing.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:I can't watch that tonight. I just can't fathom being black and being there. I don't think I could contain my outrage, especially if I had kids there.
It's bad. Stuff being thrown at police, police setting off flash grenades *next to a gas pump.* The girl filming was maced 3 times, luckily not in the face. Police have tasers out and are lighting them up to threaten people. Police have no visible name tags.... they've learned absolutely nothing.
Well, to be fair they have learned something. That they can violate the law without punishment, especially on that particular issue. Well, that and killing poor people of color.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

:-(

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

http://rt.com/news/217243-black-man-ferguson-police/

You mean an ARMED man who pulled a handgun and pointed it at cops?

And the distortion of facts already begins.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:http://rt.com/news/217243-black-man-ferguson-police/

You mean an ARMED man who pulled a handgun and pointed it at cops?

And the distortion of facts already begins.
The Cops said he was armed, there were like 50 people at the scene including the person with him saying otherwise. It seems like it's impossible to get the truth anymore.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

CNN says they have surveillance video of the guy pulling a gun on the cop. So I think this may not be a case to get outraged about.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu wrote:CNN says they have surveillance video of the guy pulling a gun on the cop. So I think this may not be a case to get outraged about.
Yup.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /20849045/

carey

Post by carey »

That throws a wrench into things. How will people react to this now? Will we still be quick to react after the next one? Because all initial reports were that he was unarmed and they left him to die there w/ out calling the EMTs.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The real question is what to do about the inciteful, misleading headlines using words like "murder" and flat out lies being spread virally through facebook, doing nothing but spreading disinformation and yet riling up race issues....

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

carey wrote:That throws a wrench into things. How will people react to this now? Will we still be quick to react after the next one? Because all initial reports were that he was unarmed and they left him to die there w/ out calling the EMTs.
EMT's couldn't get to him because the street was blocked by protesters.

More videos:

[youtube][/youtube]

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have to go to a teaching conference in Kansas City, MO, in March. I hope that state isn't some crazy race battleground at that time...

carey

Post by carey »

Dan H wrote:
carey wrote:That throws a wrench into things. How will people react to this now? Will we still be quick to react after the next one? Because all initial reports were that he was unarmed and they left him to die there w/ out calling the EMTs.
EMT's couldn't get to him because the street was blocked by protesters.

More videos:

[youtube][/youtube]
Um, no. I watched the protest live stream for 3 hours. That's 100% bullshit. The cops themselves had the streets blocked. There was plenty of room for EMTs to maneuver.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I saw it on Twitter, I'll try and find what the source was on it. The cops would have moved their cars for an ambulance, though, that's just silly. There are also people saying he lived for 30 minutes, which I seriously doubt. Three 9mm hollowpoints center mass will pretty much ruin your day.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/24/justice/m ... ?hpt=hp_t2

They say the kid had a gun pointed at the cop and that there are three different videos of it.