Gay marriage

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Gay marriage

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree that "stubborn" is too soft a word. I was just trying to choose less aggressive wording. But I agree that such behavior can only be described as discriminatory and (now) in conflict with the law of the country.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In her mind she is doing what is right and has God on her side.

If you ask an ISIS member what they are doing they will give you the same answer.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Nodack wrote:In her mind she is doing what is right and has God on her side.

If you ask an ISIS member what they are doing they will give you the same answer.
Comparing the two isn't really helpful. She's a bigot, not ISIS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 to annoy Superbone using Tapatalk

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I'm not here to help, just talk. It their minds their religions are dictating that they take action against gays. They both share the same view of gays. One just wants to strip their rights from them and the other wants to kill them all. I don't see it being that different at all other than the level of harm done.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I see what you are saying, but the level of harm is something I can't write off.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is one thing to think you are morally superior to another person because of their sexuality, and want to strip them of their rights, versus wanting to kill them. Both mean you are an awful person, but there are degrees of awfulness.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ghost wrote:I see what you are saying, but the level of harm is something I can't write off.

I am not asking you to. I am just pointing out that people believe their religion compels them to go on the offense against gays. The level of offense is different, but the message is the same.

IMO they want to stamp out the cancer before it spreads any more and they accidentally catch it. Their Bible/Koran tells them that being gay is bad and gives them permission to go after gays.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/31/politics/ ... index.html
The Supreme Court on Monday night denied an emergency application from a Kentucky clerk who has been refusing to issue marriage licenses because of her religious objections to same-sex marriage.

The clerk, Kim Davis, sought to put a lower court ruling on hold pending appeal, and in a one-page order the Supreme Court refused.

Not a shocker of a decision.

In Court papers, lawyers for Davis said that her "conscience forbids her from approving a (same-sex marriage) license -- because the prescribed form mandates that she authorize the proposed union and issue a license bearing her own name and imprimatur."

"In her belief," the lawyers wrote, "(same-sex marriage) is not, in fact, marriage."

They said issuing a same-sex license would amount to a "searing act of validation" that would "forever echo in her conscience."

Then you are in the wrong job.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:Then you are in the wrong job.
Exactly what I was thinking. Time to step down if you can't do the job properly.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy

Post by Indy »

This is just ridiculous. I am dumbfounded. There are so many people supporting her decision. I swear this has to feel the same way it did in the 60s during the segregation times.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Huckabee: ‘Kim Davis In Federal Custody Removes All Doubts About The Criminalization Of Christianity In This Country’
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/09/ ... kim-davis/

I agree. I was speeding the the day and was pulled over. I told the cop that God told me to drive fast and he still gave me a ticket proving the criminalization of Christianity in this country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think that a lot of churchgoers are, or are becoming, okay with gay people. Maybe some silly things like this incident need to happen to help the organized religions figure out a way to modernize their beliefs. Even the Pope is saying that maybe gay marriage is not so bad.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

But when talking about the bible, what does modernization mean? Does that mean we believe less and less of what it says as time goes by or are we just saying it's ok to only follow the parts that fit our modern society? And what does that mean? How do you pick and choose which parts to believe in or follow? I thought it was an all or nothing thing, not a menu.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not religious, but I think the way you rationalize it is to say that the Bible (even though it is the word of God) was written down and translated by fallible humans, and that maybe they misunderstood or mistranslated some of the parts that we now consider evil. Like the stuff on slavery, or women being inferior / submissive to their men, or gays being the devil, etc.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:But when talking about the bible, what does modernization mean? Does that mean we believe less and less of what it says as time goes by or are we just saying it's ok to only follow the parts that fit our modern society? And what does that mean? How do you pick and choose which parts to believe in or follow? I thought it was an all or nothing thing, not a menu.
We already do that Nodack. There are almost no followers that follow everything in the Bible as if it were truly the word of god. Those that do probably don't even live much in our society. There is a great graphic on this around gay marriage specifically. I will try to find it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thats funny stuff Indy. I am so going to hell. I might as well enjoy my time left then and go out with style since I am destined for eternal damnation as soon as I die.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Mori Chu wrote:I think that a lot of churchgoers are, or are becoming, okay with gay people. Maybe some silly things like this incident need to happen to help the organized religions figure out a way to modernize their beliefs. Even the Pope is saying that maybe gay marriage is not so bad.
They are, and that's great. Organized religion is on a downward spiral. They will figure it out or fail.

I like Pope Happypants, but despite talking a good talk, he's done exactly nothing to actually improve the stance of the church. On anything. He's great PR, though.
Mori Chu wrote:I think that a lot of churchgoers are, or are becoming, okay with gay people. Maybe some silly things like this incident need to happen to help the organized religions figure out a way to modernize their beliefs. Even the Pope is saying that maybe gay marriage is not so bad.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee to Visit Jailed Kentucky Clerk

This is crazy. If this were the 50s, these guys would go visit a principle in the south that refused to integrate his school in a show of support. It is disgusting.