Another Recession?

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Another Recession?

Post by Nodack »

I just talked to my online trading firm and set up a call with the guy who is assigned to my account tomorrow. I asked the guy on the phone about Vangaurd and he isn't sure whether they carry those particular funds you use Superbone. He thinks they are only available to institutional accounts and not to the general public. That didn't sound right since you aren't a institution Superbone. It was a guy that answered the phone and he may not be that up on it. I will grill the other guy tomorrow. They think they can move everything without a penalty except the life insurance and I want to dump that anyway.

My other brokerage guy is going to be bummed when I tell him. My siblings have the exact same thing going on and they might follow my lead and that would really bum that guy out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'd like to think of myself as an institution but you're right. I'm not. ;)

The funds I mentioned are Admiral shares which means you have to invest a minimum of $10,000 in each of them. I can assure you that they're available to the public. They also have other versions of the same funds that require $3000 minimum but the expense ratios are a little higher. And then there are ETFs which I don't believe have minimums. Of course the easiest way to purchase them is to open an account directly with Vanguard.

I meant to tell you it's not going to be easy getting away from your current brokers. They're going to hold on kicking and screaming as they like that they are paid whether you make money or not.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

They're going to hold on kicking and screaming as they like that they are paid whether you make money or not.
Especially now. Don't trust them. They make money from your money, so they will never tell you to invest it somewhere else.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Nodack wrote:Thanks for all the help Superbone. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the encouragement Ghost. :roll:
That's what I'm here for! Well, mostly to annoy. But it's only because I like you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 to annoy Superbone using Tapatalk

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thanks guys. I'll just watch Wolf Of Wall Street one more time before I make the call. That should do it. The Wolf was in NY, my guy is from ND. I will call him the Weasle of Williston.

Cap

Post by Cap »

A few other recent market downturns, for perspective.

On 4/26/2010, the Dow closed at 11205.03. On 5/26/2010, it closed at 9974.45, a drop of more than 1200 points in a month.

On 7/21/2011, it closed at 12724.41. On 8/10/2011, it closed at 10719.94, a drop of more than 2000 points in three weeks.

On 12/31/2013, it closed at 16576.66. On 2/13/2014, it closed at 15372.80, a drop of more than 1200 points in just over a month.

In each case, it rebounded quickly.

Maybe this one will too. Maybe it won't.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:In each case, it rebounded quickly.

Maybe this one will too. Maybe it won't.
What we do know is that it WILL rebound.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have been researching Ameritrade and Vanguard deciding who go with. I did find the four Vangaurd funds you use Superbone on Ameritrade, but they charge a fee and Vanguard doesn't, so I decided to open a Vanguard account. I was going to start today, but it's a holiday.

We bought a used refrigerator today from a friend to replace our really old backup fridge and just brought it home. We were cleaning it up in our driveway when my neighbor across the street came out and started putting stuff in his car. I decided to ask if he wanted a free extra fridge, but he already had one he needed to get rid of. As we were chatting I decided to ask him what he does for a living. He said he works at Vanguard. What luck.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:I have been researching Ameritrade and Vanguard deciding who go with. I did find the four Vangaurd funds you use Superbone on Ameritrade, but they charge a fee and Vanguard doesn't, so I decided to open a Vanguard account. I was going to start today, but it's a holiday.

We bought a used refrigerator today from a friend to replace our really old backup fridge and just brought it home. We were cleaning it up in our driveway when my neighbor across the street came out and started putting stuff in his car. I decided to ask if he wanted a free extra fridge, but he already had one he needed to get rid of. As we were chatting I decided to ask him what he does for a living. He said he works at Vanguard. What luck.
Ha! Congrats, Nodack. :D
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:I use Vanguard for some of my investments too. Unfortunately my company 401k is very limited to which vanguard funds you can choose. They are all very low cost, but not the best performers in their portfolio.

Since August 1st I have lost 50k. That's not cool.
No you haven't. Not unless you sold at the bottom which I don't think you did. Sure, it's been volatile, but you haven't made or lost anything until you sell.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:I use Vanguard for some of my investments too. Unfortunately my company 401k is very limited to which vanguard funds you can choose. They are all very low cost, but not the best performers in their portfolio.

No you haven't. Not unless you sold at the bottom which I don't think you did. Sure, it's been volatile, but you haven't made or lost anything until you sell.
If on 8/1/2015 I had X in my retirement accounts, and on 9/1/2015 I had X-50k, I did lose 50k in value. Yes, I didn't sell, so I didn't realize the losses, but the reduction in value is still real.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

If on 8/1/2015 I had X in my retirement accounts, and on 9/1/2015 I had X-50k, I did lose 50k in value. Yes, I didn't sell, so I didn't realize the losses, but the reduction in value is still real.
Yes, there is a reduction in value if you were to sell on 9/1. But you still have the same number of shares and the value fluctuates every day. I still maintain you haven't lost anything.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Besides 50k in value!

Actually, it is back up another 20k or so.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:Besides 50k in value!

:) Yes! I much prefer the upside of volatility. I'm weird that way. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:Besides 50k in value!

:) Yes! I much prefer the upside of volatility. I'm weird that way. ;)
:o