Trump pulls out of Iran deal

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Trump pulls out of Iran deal

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump announcing today that the US will withdraw from the Iran denuclearization deal. IMO very sad news. Canceling a peace treaty because your hated predecessor made it. Petty and vindictive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/worl ... -deal.html

Indy

Re: Trump pulls out of Iran deal

Post by Indy »

I don't think that is why he wants to pull out. There are plenty of people on TV and in Washington that think giving any concessions to any "bad people" is wrong. And they usually define "bad people" as those not like me (religion, language, ethnicity, sex, whatever).

So I think he wants to pull out because Fox News tells him to pull out. And he already told the world he would, so it is something he can celebrate (fulfilling a campaign promise), and DEFLECT from the rest of the mess surrounding him.

Either way, it is a stupid choice and only makes the world less safe.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The selfish, evil assholes who try to ruin the world are losing a chess piece with North Korea, so they're trying to put another one back on the table with Iran.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think Trump just wants to destroy as many of Obama’s achievements as he can out of spite. I think if Trump was President and signed the exact same deal with Iran Obama did, Trump would claim it a historical achievement of biblical proportions.

I know his people around him hate Iran and want to start something with them which makes Trumps decision even easier.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's become obvious that Trump's main objective is to undo everything Obama's done.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It was obvious a long time ago.

Trump pulling out of the JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) has created a serious issue. Iran, US, Russia, China, France, Germany, UK and the EU signed the agreement and as far as they are concerned the deal is still on, minus the US. The US pulled out of the deal and now are planning on new sanctions and penalties against anybody doing business with Iran. All those other countries are faced with a decision. Cave into the US or stand up to the US and ignore the new US sanctions.

Trump’s Iran deal exit forces EU to confront US ‘economic policeman of the world’
http://www.france24.com/en/20180509-ira ... pean-firms
Caroline Galacteros, a geopolitics and strategic intelligence expert, believes the US pullout could present the EU with “a big opportunity” to come up with a unified response to a system that has long rankled European powers.

“It’s up to us to decide in the end if we really want to accept this extraterritoriality of US law. That’s the big issue in my opinion. It can be a real shift in the balance of power,” said Galacteros on the FRANCE 24’s Debate show Tuesday. “If Europe sticks to the deal, and the Iranians are cautious and won’t hit back – because that’s what Washington is probably expecting from them – then we have Europe and Iran sticking to the deal, as well as Russia and then China… It all transforms the balance of power.”

Now we have all the main powers in the world joining together against the US. How great is that?

Iran warns Trump: 'You've made a mistake' over nuclear deal
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44057306
Mr Khamenei said: "I said from the first day: don't trust America."

French President Emmanuel Macron has also called the US decision "a mistake". The UK's Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said Britain had "no intention of walking away", and Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel said her country would "do everything in our power for Iran to adhere to its obligations in the future".

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani, who is regarded as a moderate reformist and under whom the 2015 deal was signed, has indicated he will try to salvage it.
He said his country was preparing to restart uranium enrichment in case the deal collapsed, but also said: "If we achieve the deal's goals in co-operation with other members of the deal, it will remain in place."

But Mr Khamenei, the highest power in the land, was sceptical, saying in a televised speech that he did not trust Britain, France or Germany, and would need "guarantees" before continuing the nuclear deal.
Addressing the government, he said: "We hear that you want to continue the nuclear deal with the three European countries. I don't have confidence in these three countries."
"If you want to conclude an agreement, obtain real guarantees, otherwise tomorrow they will do the same as the United States."
"Their words have no value," he said of foreign leaders.
"Today they say one thing and tomorrow another. They have no shame."

In earlier comments, France's Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said: "The deal is not dead. There's an American withdrawal from the deal but the deal is still there".
He said there would be a meeting between France, Britain, Germany and Iran on Monday.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not an expert by any means. But from what I have read, the deal was basically two parts. Part 1 was releasing Iran's frozen assets and removing sanctions (give them their money and economy back), and Part 2 was they promise to not develop nukes and give appropriate access to inspectors from our countries to inspect to ensure they are compliant. Well, Part 1 already happened. It is like telling your kids they can have a bowl of ice cream if they promise to clean their room afterwards. Then they eat the ice cream, and you yell "DEAL'S OFF! HA, HA, YOU DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN YOUR ROOM NOW! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT?"

So stupid. Sure we can start up new sanctions, but that clearly wasn't effective (ever, anywhere).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

But if we start new sanctions what does that mean to China, Russia, Farance, Germany, UK or the EU? They didn’t pull out of the deal but now we expect them to abide by our new sanctions? What happens if they all ignore our sanctions?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:But if we start new sanctions what does that mean to China, Russia, Farance, Germany, UK or the EU? They didn’t pull out of the deal but now we expect them to abide by our new sanctions? What happens if they all ignore our sanctions?
The US becomes even more marginalized. By the way, where is Farance?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Iran agreed to restrictions in exchange for relief from sanctions. If, despite Iran’s compliance with the deal, the US reimposes some of those sanctions, and Iran is to continue to comply, then I think they are in a very reasonable position to demand from the remaining pact members:

1) Some sort of economic compensation, so that they are not hurt by the new sanctions, or

2) If (1) isn’t practical, then retaliatory sanctions against the US.

Otherwise, why should Iran continue to fully comply if they’re not getting everything they were promised?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Farance is right between Boogerslavia and Maldinadio.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:Farance is right between Boogerslavia and Maldinadio.
Thank you so much for this. I needed a laugh today

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’m always typing on an iPhone or iPad and I don’t seem to be very accurate.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pulling out of the deal is so stupid. It gains us essentially nothing and doesn't hurt Iran very much. There is also no real solid evidence that Iran was cheating on the deal; there was a single dumb presentation by Netenyahu of Israel that was heavily criticized for its inaccuracy, but that's it. What a flimsy pretext for canceling a successful diplomatic deal.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If they could take Obama’s name off the old agreement and replace it with Trumps name I am pretty sure Trump would agree to it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:If they could take Obama’s name off the old agreement and replace it with Trumps name I am pretty sure Trump would agree to it.
Dunno. Trump and his followers are big believers in zero-sum games. Remember, Trump’s justification for pulling out of the Paris climate accord was that the rest of the world loved it, and if it’s good for the rest of the world that means it’s bad for America.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think he'll either go to war with Iran (thanks, John Bolton), or he'll agree to exactly the same deal as the Obama Iran deal but with the tiniest of changes, and he'll call it the Trump Deal, and he'll LOVE it. Even though it'll have almost no difference from the Obama deal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This isn't directly about Iran, but I didn't want to make a new thread for it. Trump speaking yesterday at the UN general assembly. He says that he has accomplished more than maybe any administration in US history, and the whole room erupts laughing at him. Laughing at him. Stunning. This is what the world thinks of the United States right now, condensed into a 1-minute clip.

[youtube][/youtube]

I should note that the world similarly hated George W Bush, with good reason. The last two Republican Presidents have been absolutely monstrous, IMO two of the bottom 3 Presidents of all time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He's such little kid. "I meant to do that."
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He bragged about how great he was as usual. They laughed. He then said he didn’t expect that reaction from them and they laughed harder. Now he says they weren’t laughing at him. They were laughing with him and he intentionally tried to make them laugh.

Sure, we believe you.