Acts of domestic terrorism

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by Mori Chu »

A psycho Trump supporter sends bombs to many of the top Democrats. (Arrested and in custody.)

Now another alt-right nutball shoots up a synagogue in Pittsburgh, killing around 10-11 and injuring 3 armed cops. (Also arrested.)

The President ... gives questionable reactions to both incidents, let's say.

Thoughts?

In2ition

Re: Acts of domestic terrorism

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:30 am
A psycho Trump supporter sends bombs to many of the top Democrats. (Arrested and in custody.)

Now another alt-right nutball shoots up a synagogue in Pittsburgh, killing around 10-11 and injuring 3 armed cops. (Also arrested.)

Thoughts?
Both are complete pyschos. The second wasn't a Trump supporter, but why are you painting him as one?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I called the second guy, the synagogue shooter, an alt-right nutball; he was known to visit alt-right web sites and forums. But I went out of my way to call the first guy a Trump supporter and not the second guy. I did criticize the President's reaction to both incidents, and I stand by that.

I definitely believe that President Trump bears partial blame for both incidents. He consistently uses rhetoric and behavior that amplify tensions, otherize groups of people, encourages violence against enemies, and reduces tolerance. He praised the very fine people on both sides in Charlottesville, he calls illegal immigrants animals, he calls the media the enemy of the people. He says Second Amendment people should do something about Hillary Clinton. He constantly criticizes "globalists" and calls himself a "nationalist," two terms with onerous meaning to Jews. He also, rather than expressing much sympathy or unity after the shooting, instead says the synagogue should have stopped the shooter if they had more guns and armament inside (which is preposterous and offensive). Trump has also consistently fought gun laws that could have restricted access to the weaponry used by the shooter.

On the day of the bombing attempts, which by the way was the largest mass assassination attempt in US history, he made jokes about having a bad hair day and complained about the effect it would have on the news cycle and the polls. He also attacked George Soros, one of the people who was sent a bomb. His pet channel, Fox News, continued to run lots of insulting coverage claiming that Soros is secretly funding an invasion connected to a migrant caravan in Mexico.

Trump didn't pull the trigger. But he's been fanning flames for over two years, and he doesn't seem very upset that some fires have broken out. He actively encourages and incites acts of violence.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:30 am
Status quo.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I agree that Trumps rhetoric hasn't been good, but to insinuate that he is the only one is disingenuous. It seems that you are blaming him for every act of violence by a nut job. I think there is a level of incivility in politics right now higher than it's been that I can remember and it's not just Trump.

And why are we even coming to George Soros' defense? Why does he always seem to be interfering in US Politics? As far as I know, he's not even a US citizen. This seems odd to me to be defending his interference.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The first guy was definitely a huge Trump supporter. The second guy wasn’t a Trump fan from what I read. I am not sure if he was Left or Right. I don’t really care which ‘side’ he was on at this point. This whole thing will get worse before it gets better. I mostly blame Trump but, there is plenty of blame to go around.

The left and right always butt heads. It’s expected. They are in competition for the soul and control of America. Trump is very charismatic and people follow strong leaders with conviction. Trump likes to win. His opponent now is anyone who stands in his way, which is the media, FBI and Democrats and foriegn countries right now. His go to strategy is to belittle and demonize his apponents, which is kind of standard but Trump has taken ot to a whole new level. He is basically telling his followers that half of America is their enemy and as good Americans they should do something about it.

A guy like the Magabomber was seduced into trying to kill Trumps enemies by Trumps rhetoric. I don’t know if that was Trumps intentions or not but, I believe Trump in some me ways probably actually feels empowered by the whole thing. The Magabomber probably felt like he was doing something patriotic.

Trumps ire has been fueled by the liberal media. Of course the liberal media is going to be critical of Trump just like FOX News was with Obama. Trump attacked them, called them fake, the enemy of the people and Trump and the CNN boss don’t like each other anyway. The media like CNN and MSNBC have become enraged and devoted almost their entire coverage to anti Trump coverage. For the most part I believe what they are reporting is true but, always in a negative Trump tone and that infuriates Trump.

The bottom line is that it has become a war between the two sides that is becoming violent. A real President represents ALL Americans and not just their base. Trump telling his base that half the country is their enemy is very dangerous and we have seen the results now. I don’t think Trump is capable of turning his rhetoric down. It is who he is. The media isn’t just going to give him a free pass either and start praising him. We are just going to have to ride the Trump crazy train until he is gone from whatever it is that gets him out of office. I just hope America can withstand Trumps Presidency before we see another Civil War.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This article sums up my thoughts on this subject pretty well. Trump rails against the evil caravan of migrant refugees, suggesting Soros/Dem funding of these people as some sort of invasion to America. The synagogue killer specifically sought out a synagogue affiliated with providing aid to refugees through the HIAS organization. He posted on social media repeatedly about these exact talking points that the President has been making and spreading. Some of this blood is on Trump's hands.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ws/574213/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As for Soros, I am no champion of his, but he currently operates within the bounds of US political law. He didn't fund any migrant caravan invasion, but he does donate millions to many Democratic candidates and causes, and he is powerful and influential in the party. I think Soros is one good example of why our campaign finance laws are bad and should be changed.

I think we should restructure our campaign finance laws to harshly limit the amount of money that any one person or corporation can give in total to any/all US political endeavors. That would limit the influence of rich people like Soros, the Koch brothers, etc. who essentially wield incredible political power with our two parties. The Supreme Court hurt this cause with their Citizens United decision, which struck down many limits on donations and has made it possible for corporations and other entities to give millions to candidates and causes. This SCOTUS decision was championed by conservatives and the right. Let's undo it and go further and fix these shady campaign contributions on all sides.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump picked two more Conservative judges. It won’t be changed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I always find it funny when people bring up Soros. Yeah, he is rich, and gives money to Dems. But he doesn't give anywhere near the money that others give. Sheldon Anderson has given 87M to GOP/Republicans this year alone. And the owner of Uline has given 35M this year alone. Soros is at 15.

Either way, we need to stop allowing people to buy votes. Why do we have campaign contributions at all?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You think it's about the money he gives particular Dem candidates?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I thought we were talking about that, yeah. But reading back through it, I think you said people were coming to his defense and defending his interference. I didn't see anyone doing that. So maybe it is just better to ask what you meant, and we can go from there.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Now I hear the Synagogue shooter was pissed at Jewish people because they financed the caravan. I wonder where he would get such an idea...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... iracy.html

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/synag ... index.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 789239002/

https://www.newsweek.com/eric-trump-say ... ht-1190640

Trump said if the synagogue had an armed guard nobody would have been killed. Four armed cops who went to the synagogue to confront the shooter were shot.

George Soros in a Jewish billionaire who likes to give money to Democrats sort of like the Koch brothers like to give money to Republicans. Soros was the very first person to recieve a pipe bomb in the mail. He is also one of the guys the synagogue shooter blames for financing the Caravan. As far as I know nobody is financing the caravan. As far as I know FOX and Trump just say that to make their followers angry. It worked.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The constant stream of bigoted rhetoric about the migrant caravan in Mexico that has been airing on Fox and displayed on conservative media, and then echoed by the President, is what directly inspired this killer. It is just a fact, plain as day.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:29 am
The constant stream of bigoted rhetoric about the migrant caravan in Mexico that has been airing on Fox and displayed on conservative media, and then echoed by the President, is what directly inspired this killer. It is just a fact, plain as day.
You are not allowed to point out facts, Marty. It is unAmerican.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

FBI investigating Washington state rep. for manifesto urging ‘all males will be killed’
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... -all-males

The FBI says it's investigating a Washington state Republican who distributed a manifesto calling for "war" against enemies of the Christian religion.

The document, a four-page explanation of how to establish Christian law through armed struggle, calls for the end of same-sex marriage, abortion, and the death of all non-Christian males in the U.S. if religious law is not upheld.

“If they do not yield – kill all males," the document reads.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:48 am
FBI investigating Washington state rep. for manifesto urging ‘all males will be killed’

The FBI says it's investigating a Washington state Republican who distributed a manifesto calling for "war" against enemies of the Christian religion.

The document, a four-page explanation of how to establish Christian law through armed struggle, calls for the end of same-sex marriage, abortion, and the death of all non-Christian males in the U.S. if religious law is not upheld.

Geez...Come on guy, this is so dumb. He should be locked up. Where do we find these people?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:12 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:48 am

Geez...Come on guy, this is so dumb. He should be locked up. Where do we find these people?
We elect them president.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"We did have two maniacs stop a momentum that was incredible, because for seven days nobody talked about the elections," he said during his closing remarks at a Missouri rally. "It stopped a tremendous momentum."
This is how the President of the United States thinks about the worst act of anti-Semitic domestic terrorism in our nation's history. He is upset that it distracted from his party's "momentum" in the polls toward the midterm election.

He is a monster.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm
"We did have two maniacs stop a momentum that was incredible, because for seven days nobody talked about the elections," he said during his closing remarks at a Missouri rally. "It stopped a tremendous momentum."
This is how the President of the United States thinks about the worst act of anti-Semitic domestic terrorism in our nation's history. He is upset that it distracted from his party's "momentum" in the polls toward the midterm election.

He is a monster.
I am not sure of the definition of monster, but he clearly is a sociopath.