Suns News: Week 13 1/7-1/13

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: Week 13 1/7-1/13

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think Oubre brings enough to the team to warrant investing in another small forward when there are such glaring issues at other spots on the roster.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:32 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am
Blazers supposedly have interest in Lin. That's a guy I would make a play for.
There are probably eight free agent point guards I would take over Lin.
Quick. Name em.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TJ McConnell, Tyus Jones, Terry Rozier, Cory Joseph, Darren Collison, Delon Wright, Trey Burke, Tomas Satoransky.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That is just off the top of my head. Collison is team option (non-guaranteed to be accurate) and has a domestic violence incident in his background, so he is iffy. Satoransky is more of a wing-point than a traditional point guard, but I would still take him over Lin.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 am
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm
Ugh. Strike one, Jimmy. Strike one.
Would you care to elaborate?
Yeah, I'm curious to learn why you think this is strike one.
I don't want to resign Oubre.
I'm not sure that I want Oubre back either, but that doesn't make it strike one. The only way that this hurts anything is if he is negotiating with against himself and inflates his value. With the matching rights, you could still address pg and pf before addressing Oubre.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 am
I just talked to James Jones back stage. “We need point guard and a power forward.” They are planning on getting a PG in free agency next year which was what they also said before the season.
And a PF...never?

(Unless they get the number one pick in the draft? Lol.)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He didn’t say how they intended to get a PF. I just struck up a conversation with him and asked him how much pressure he felt as a GM? He said he didn’t feel any pressure. He said the pressure is on the players. He must have seen where I was going and said they needed a PG and a PF without me even asking the question. It’s obvious to us and obvious to him too it seems.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:27 pm
He didn’t say how they intended to get a PF. I just struck up a conversation with him and asked him how much pressure he felt as a GM? He said he didn’t feel any pressure. He said the pressure is on the players. He must have seen where I was going and said they needed a PG and a PF without me even asking the question. It’s obvious to us and obvious to him too it seems.
He must get that a lot and wanted to beat you to the punch is my guess.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:40 pm
TJ McConnell, Tyus Jones, Terry Rozier, Cory Joseph, Darren Collison, Delon Wright, Trey Burke, Tomas Satoransky.
Sure, why?, why?, sure, maybe, sure, ew-why?, maybe.

Why are Tyus Jones stats so poor this year? Nearly identical to Melton with slightly better assists and half a turnover less per game. Defensively Melton is much stronger though his offensive limitations are a net negative on dbpm and vorp.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't know if it is strike one, but I don't want to spend on Oubre either. Poor resources management with Warren, Bridges and Jackson. Only way I would entertain it is if Jackson is traded, and would still have to be a bargain contract (those 10-13M Riley specials is not that, btw).

Jones needs to be having Oubre and Jackson on the block anyway.

Would love to have Satoransky. Would also try to force MIL's hand for Brogdon in free agency at 00:01.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

if we get a legit 4, where does TJ fit in? Is he the starting SF? Does he become the scorer off the bench? He's expanded his scoring but even at SF he's unlikely to be a better rebounder, passer or defender. He is what he is. If we bring him off the bench and are choosing between Oubre, Bridges, and Jackson to start at SF? It's actually very tough for me to decide right now.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:42 pm
INFORMER wrote:

Why are Tyus Jones stats so poor this year? Nearly identical to Melton with slightly better assists and half a turnover less per game. Defensively Melton is much stronger though his offensive limitations are a net negative on dbpm and vorp.
Jones assist to turnover ratio is 6.5:1; that is much more significant than than "slightly better assists and half a turnover less per game." Jones is also superior in opponent field goal percentage, and it isn't even close, so I am not sure why you are saying Melton is much stronger defensive. The red flag on Jones is his poor shooting numbers. I have no idea why they're so poor this season.

And don't forget, that list wasn't about comparing what we currently have; it was about who I would prefer over Jeremy Lin.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm
if we get a legit 4, where does TJ fit in? Is he the starting SF? Does he become the scorer off the bench?
Scorer off the bench. Super sixth man.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:27 pm
Oh okay, I was thinking the quote was yourself saying “We need a point guard and a power forward” with him responding to that, haha!

I’m glad he acknowledges both needs. We have to have someone who can rebound at the 4, no matter how good of a rebounder Ayton may turn into.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: Week 13 1/7-1/13

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:42 pm
INFORMER wrote:

Jones assist to turnover ratio is 6.5:1; that is much more significant than than "slightly better assists and half a turnover less per game." Jones is also superior in opponent field goal percentage, and it isn't even close, so I am not sure why you are saying Melton is much stronger defensive. The red flag on Jones is his poor shooting numbers. I have no idea why they're so poor this season.

And don't forget, that list wasn't about comparing what we currently have; it was about who I would prefer over Jeremy Lin.
I'll have to look into that. I saw Melton's d-rating per 100 was better. Jones is also in his 4th year instead of first but I'm not sure Melton's 'ision & handle will ever be tight enough to have a great assist to turnover ratio.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Melton’s defensive value is about the disruption he causes. He gets a lot of steals and blocks. He’s also more capable of switching onto 2 guards.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think there is a future in having Okobo and Melton on the floor together.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It's an interesting exercise to compare Mikal's rookie season as a 22-year old to Dragan Bender's 2nd season as a 21 year old. Pretty statistically similar.

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:13 am
It's an interesting exercise to compare Mikal's rookie season as a 22-year old to Dragan Bender's 2nd season as a 21 year old. Pretty statistically similar.
I still think it's a shame we've shelved Bender completely. I thought with Igor being a euro coach he could have brought something out of him. I guess he's not a fan. And Bender was only 20 all of last season. He just turned 21 in November.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:13 am
Then you watch them both and realize one is an NBA player and the other isn’t.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.