2019 NBA Playoffs First Round

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs First Round

Post by Mori Chu »

Interesting games last night. Spurs got up by 19 or so on Denver, but then the Nuggets roared back to win and even the series (and, really, save their playoff hopes). Blazers had a big win over OKC and are now up 2-0; they're proving a lot of people wrong who picked OKC to upset them. Kanter is filling in pretty nicely for the absent Nurkic. Good story there. And Toronto had a big win over Orlando; I think that Game 1 victory by the Magic was a fluke.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I loved this clip from OKC/POR. Westbrick chucks up a shot that clangs out, then Lillard comes back, drains a -long- 3 in his face.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 am
I loved this clip from OKC/POR. Westbrick chucks up a shot that clangs out, then Lillard comes back, drains a -long- 3 in his face.

Shooting from that distance that early in the shot clock always makes me scratch my head, but you can’t complain when it goes in.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 am
Interesting games last night. Spurs got up by 19 or so on Denver, but then the Nuggets roared back to win and even the series (and, really, save their playoff hopes). Blazers had a big win over OKC and are now up 2-0; they're proving a lot of people wrong who picked OKC to upset them. Kanter is filling in pretty nicely for the absent Nurkic. Good story there. And Toronto had a big win over Orlando; I think that Game 1 victory by the Magic was a fluke.
I am not too sure about the "fluke" comment. I know they have KL now, but keep in mind that Toronto has won a total of 8 games past the 1st round of the playoffs in their entire history. I expect them to beat the Magic, but I don't expect them make it out of Round 2.

Also, not sure if Portland is proving anything yet. All they did was not lose at home. They looked good yesterday, though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 am

Shooting from that distance that early in the shot clock always makes me scratch my head, but you can’t complain when it goes in.
Curry, Lillard, and maybe Booker have a green light to shoot from that far out. Curry's percentage out there is ridiculous.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Lillard's one of my favorite players.

The fact that McD thought he could get him in a trade is still embarrassing to me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Lillard's one of my favorite players.

The fact that McD thought he could get him in a trade is still embarrassing to me.
When did he think that?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ehh, so we called about Lillard. I’m glad we did. Doesn’t hurt to be told no

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 pm
Doesn’t hurt to be told no
In my experience, it does.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm here for all the Donovan Mitchell slander and Utah Jazz are trash talk. Couldn't happen to a better fan base.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Houston making them look awful...

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

I couldn't be happier that CJ and Dame are destroying the Thunder.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Looking at this playoff lineup in 2019, who falls out in 2020?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In the west I could see the Thunder, Jazz and Rockets taking a step back next year. Rockets will be a year older and don't have great depth as it is. Not sure how much more the Thunder and Jazz can really improve barring some major trades/acquisitions. I think the Clips could get better thru free agency. Warriors could look mortal if they lose KD and/or Klay/Draymond. Iguodala and Shaun Livingston aren't getting younger either.

Portland is in that space where they can look to make major changes or keep pushing thru and hope a healthy Nurkic can make a difference. They need a legit PF though.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 am
Looking at this playoff lineup in 2019, who falls out in 2020?
I think the East will largely stay the same, barring any major injuries, though maybe the Hornets or Hawks edge out the Magic or Pistons next year.

The West is way more up for debate. I think the only 4 that I would say are locks, again, barring any injuries, for next year are the Warriors, Thunder, Rockets, and Nuggets.

I think the Jazz and Trailblazers (depending on when Nurkic comes back) will stay in. So maybe the Spurs and Clippers fall out? I think the Kings will make the playoffs next year and maybe the Wolves? I think if we get Zion or Morant, we'll be in the hunt too.

I think after free agency, it will get a little clearer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s not any obvious candidate right now to drop out. Clips could if they strike out in free agency. Spurs could also falter. Lakers are the obvious candidate to jump in, but depends on what they put around Lebron this summer. Kings could take the next step. I don’t really see anyone else being a playoff team without major changes. If pels can convince AD to stay, then they could fight for a spot.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I enjoy watching the Harden show but they're taking chances keeping him in late to stat chase for that last assist of the triple double.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Pacers are the biggest wild card this summer. They've got tons of cap space, but they will have to re-sign or replace most of their role players. They could go either way.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 pm
Doesn’t hurt to be told no
In my experience, it does.
:lol: