RIP John Havlicek

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

RIP John Havlicek

Post by LazarusLong »

Celtic Legend John Havlicek died as the result of complications from Parkinson's Disease April 25.

With the likely exceptions of Bill Russell and Larry Bird, no other Celtic player was more venerated by Boston fans, and NBA fans in general.

Only Celtic teammates Russell and Sam Jones won more championships during their playing careers. Havlicek is one of three NBA players with an unsurpassed 8–0 record in NBA Finals series outcomes.

Havlicek is the Celtics' all-time leader in points and games played, scoring 26,395 points (20.8 points per game, 16th all-time in points scored in the NBA), and playing in 1,270 games (30th all-time). He became the first player to score 1,000 points in 16 consecutive seasons.

Havlicek was the type of guy who give you a couple of hard fouls during the game, then buy you a pitcher of beer afterwards.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Re: RIP John Havlicek

Post by Superbone »

He broke my heart in the 1976 NBA Finals. RIP. My dad also had Parkinson’s. Not a great way to go.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I was shocked to hear the news, I hadn't read anywhere about his failing health.

I would say Havlicek was probably the third most beloved Celtic behind Bird and Cousy (Russell always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the fans).

13 All-Star Games, 8 NBA championships, 11 times All-NBA 1st or 2nd Team, 8 times NBA All-Defensive Team.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And of course -

"Havlicek stole the ball!"
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hondo was before my time, but he's clearly an all-time great. Sad to see him go. RIP

If anybody is unfamiliar with "Havlicek stole the ball!", here's a video about it. Classic moment in NBA history:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You know what I learned from that video? I (and everybody else) have been saying his last name wrong all these years. Even Johnny Most says it wrong. Listen to the man himself say it in the intro. It's like the 'l' and 'i' should be reversed.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:29 am
You know what I learned from that video? I (and everybody else) have been saying his last name wrong all these years. Even Johnny Most says it wrong. Listen to the man himself say it in the intro. It's like the 'l' and 'i' should be reversed.
I never knew that.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 pm

I would say Havlicek was probably the third most beloved Celtic behind Bird and Cousy (Russell always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the fans).
At one time, Cousy could have been elected mayor of Boston.

He did tarnish his reputation by coaching the Royals and then becoming player-coach for them (and not looking good doing it).

The Milwaukee Bucks will be forever in his debt for trading Oscar Robertson to them.
Oscar helped lead the Bucks and their new young center, some kid from UCLA, to the franchise's only championship.
Cousy saw the trade as a punishment to Robertson (by sending him to a fledgling franchise)...

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 pm
He broke my heart in the 1976 NBA Finals. RIP. My dad also had Parkinson’s. Not a great way to go.
Sorry about your dad, 'Bone.
A very good friend of mine died from it recently.
I thought he had it managed, but then he deteriorated rapidly. Ugh.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:23 am
The Bobster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 pm

At one time, Cousy could have been elected mayor of Boston.

He did tarnish his reputation by coaching the Royals and then becoming player-coach for them (and not looking good doing it).

The Milwaukee Bucks will be forever in his debt for trading Oscar Robertson to them.
Oscar helped lead the Bucks and their new young center, some kid from UCLA, to the franchise's only championship.
Cousy saw the trade as a punishment to Robertson (by sending him to a fledgling franchise)...
He was just doing what his coach Arnold would have done (Silas to Denver after his holdout, Chaney to the ABA and Westphal to Phoenix when they wanted to be paid, Cowens to Milwaukee after the Silas fiasco).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 pm
Sorry about your dad, 'Bone.
A very good friend of mine died from it recently.
I thought he had it managed, but then he deteriorated rapidly. Ugh.
Thanks, Laz, and sorry about your friend too. It sucks.
"Be Legendary."