Midwest living

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Indy

Re: Midwest living

Post by Indy »

It is going to get all the way up to 43 on Saturday. That is like a heat wave in February. Like 60 degrees warmer than it was a couple weeks ago.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:49 am
It is going to get all the way up to 43 on Saturday. That is like a heat wave in February. Like 60 degrees warmer than it was a couple weeks ago.
This conversation is not leaving me feeling exciting about moving. :D

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:49 am
This conversation is not leaving me feeling exciting about moving. :D
Everything is an experience, and life experiences help you grow. And you can pretty much adjust to anything--the winters suck a lot more thinking about it than actually living in it. It is like the 117 days in Phoenix, or even the 100 degree, 99% humidity days in your part of the world. I have lived in all of those climates and they aren't all that different of extremes. You and your family will adjust quicker than you think.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

How's the Midwest these days? Been a few months since this topic was discussed. jonh, you adjusting?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

It stopped snowing here a couple weeks ago, so there is that.

jonh

Post by jonh »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 pm
How's the Midwest these days? Been a few months since this topic was discussed. jonh, you adjusting?
Yeah, we moved over at the end of May, but had several trips that have kept us out of Nebraska over the last few months.

We have actually loved being here much more than we were thinking! Nice community, with lots of family-friendly and cultural activities (we are going to see Hamilton in Omaha next month). It helps that we are about a block away from one of the largest lakes and parks in the city. The bike paths have also been really nice, and I have actually been riding the 6 miles into work whenever I have been home--prepping for a triathlon sprint next month.

Of course, I feel like this is the equivalent of asking how a relationship is going after only being together a few months. Ill probably have a much more accurate answer to how we like it after our first February.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:24 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 pm
Yeah, we moved over at the end of May, but had several trips that have kept us out of Nebraska over the last few months.

We have actually loved being here much more than we were thinking! Nice community, with lots of family-friendly and cultural activities (we are going to see Hamilton in Omaha next month). It helps that we are about a block away from one of the largest lakes and parks in the city. The bike paths have also been really nice, and I have actually been riding the 6 miles into work whenever I have been home--prepping for a triathlon sprint next month.

Of course, I feel like this is the equivalent of asking how a relationship is going after only being together a few months. Ill probably have a much more accurate answer to how we like it after our first February.
Might want to wait until the end of April to make that judgement. ;)

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Congrats on the academic job! Assistant Professor? Just keep in mind that the number of AMJs you have is not a measure of your self worth and keep yourself connected to the outside world!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I just had an ASQ 3rd round R&R rejected and I am so glad that I don't really give a shit about publications anymore. I am in one of the jobs people consider really stressful (entrepreneur) and even fundraising was less stressful than the constant grind that is publication pressure IMHO. The most successful folks I know in Research 1 academia treat it as a 9 to 5 job six days a week.

jonh

Post by jonh »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:39 am
Congrats on the academic job! Assistant Professor? Just keep in mind that the number of AMJs you have is not a measure of your self worth and keep yourself connected to the outside world!
Yeah, assistant professor. We feel really grateful that the tenure expectations are not as intense here as they are at other places we interviewed. I’m sorry to hear about your ASQ! Where are you sending it next?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

jonh wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:49 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Yeah, assistant professor. We feel really grateful that the tenure expectations are not as intense here as they are at other places we interviewed. I’m sorry to hear about your ASQ! Where are you sending it next?
AMJ. I was at HKUST (and still there teaching MBAs on the side) and tenure expectations were 5 ASQ/AMJ/SMJs.

Congrats and glad you are facing something more reasonable and hope you can do the research you want instead of what some AMJ associate editor is looking for.

jonh

Post by jonh »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm
jonh wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
AMJ. I was at HKUST (and still there teaching MBAs on the side) and tenure expectations were 5 ASQ/AMJ/SMJs.

Congrats and glad you are facing something more reasonable and hope you can do the research you want instead of what some AMJ associate editor is looking for.
Oh yeah! at UNL, it is 3 A's (with the usual list, but on the micro side they also include JOM/JAP), along with 1-2 quality publication (OBHDP, PPsych, Academy of Management Annals). Ask me again in a few years how we feel about it, but I've already got one of the A's and am hoping to finish up one of the quality publications later on this year, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can make it work here.

It would be fun to read some of your stuff sometime, or meet up at academy for a drink.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

ABCDEFG.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

jonh

Post by jonh »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:44 pm
ABCDEFG.
You are also invited for drinks!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

jonh wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:21 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 pm
jonh wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

Oh yeah! at UNL, it is 3 A's (with the usual list, but on the micro side they also include JOM/JAP), along with 1-2 quality publication (OBHDP, PPsych, Academy of Management Annals). Ask me again in a few years how we feel about it, but I've already got one of the A's and am hoping to finish up one of the quality publications later on this year, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can make it work here.

It would be fun to read some of your stuff sometime, or meet up at academy for a drink.
3 A's is not unreasonable, especially if you're from the kind of program where you're put onto your advisor's JAPs. Congrats on getting the first one done and good luck on the other two -- getting two more over five years shouldn't be a back breaker.

I'm kind of done submitting to the major journals but I do have books from Stanford Univ Press and Routledge that I'm quite proud of. I don't go to Academy anymore but it's a small world -- ping me if you're ever in HK.