2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:

Read the thread.
Interesting take and not exactly wrong. They all have flaws that are apparent. I am surprised he is so high on PJ Washington. We've not discussed him here to any extent.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:02 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Read the thread.
Interesting take and not exactly wrong. They all have flaws that are apparent. I am surprised he is so high on PJ Washington. We've not discussed him here to any extent.
I think Split likes him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 pm
carey wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:02 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Read the thread.
I think Split likes him.
I haven’t watched him a lot...but on paper I don’t see why he’s not gotten more hype. Good size...7’2 wingspan..he’s known for his defense and he figured out how to shoot. Shot over 40% from 3 this year. Feels like a solid 3-D guy who can defend all front court positions and stretch the floor on offense.

Per 40: 21/10 with 2.5 assists, 1.7 blocks, 1.1 steals and shot .52/.42/.66 on 3 3pt attempts per 40
Last edited by Split T on Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Read the thread.
2 of the last 3 #4 picks have been worse than whoever goes this year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Read the thread.
:roll:

Why is every other year the worst draft ever?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm
carey wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm
Split T wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:10 am
I think with as shallow as this draft is perceived, Garland isn't going to be there at #6. I think it's possible the Knicks take him at #3 (especially if they're picking him for some other team), but there's no way he's falling past Cleveland at #5. I think he just kind of fits in perfect with Sexton.
Hmm, I don’t see it with Cleveland. They are kinda the same player. Both scoring guards with questionable playmaking. Both undersized for the 2. Defensively they’d be a mess. And if Garland goes top 5, that probably means Culver fell to 6. Or you just take Hunter/Clarke.
Or Reddish, who does kind of fit our roster. I think workouts will keep Cam from dropping to 6. They're saying he works out extremely well. He's been compared very favorably to Paul George. I think there may have been a little alpha dog problem with he and Zion.
I'm not sure about this. Zion, even though he is an alpha dog, didn't mind just fitting in and filling in the holes. He was happy to be the 3rd option if needed to be. Look at all the times he just acquiesced to RJ. Truth is Cam had every opportunity to step up and take the mantle, but shrunk most of the time. He's not as tall as George, but he's extremely skilled and it was surprising that he didn't shoot better, which was concerning since most of those were wide open assisted shots.
People are going to talk themselves into Cam Reddish, but In2 nailed it here.

Rudy Gay was disappointing in college, but has had a solid career, although it took him a long time to figure out how to contribute to a winning situation. Maybe Reddish follows the same path. But I know I have no desire to gamble on him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am
Could be true, but it's just kinda lazy speculation that the team who needs a PG would promise a PG.

I think it's more likely that Klutch seeds this rumor to stir interest in their guy.
Honestly, if the Suns go point guard in this draft, I'd prefer for it to be in the late first round/early second with Tremont Waters.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote: Honestly, if the Suns go point guard in this draft, I'd prefer for it to be in the late first round/early second with Tremont Waters.
Really? I'd not have pegged you as a TW fan. Or is it just the talent for the range you could get him in? I'm thinking he's there at 32 and you'd have to pick between him and Carsen Edwards. How does he compare to Coby White to you? White is bigger but both seem shifty and willing to distribute even if they aren't exactly Steve Nash.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote: Honestly, if the Suns go point guard in this draft, I'd prefer for it to be in the late first round/early second with Tremont Waters.
Really? I'd not have pegged you as a TW fan. Or is it just the talent for the range you could get him in? I'm thinking he's there at 32 and you'd have to pick between him and Carsen Edwards. How does he compare to Coby White to you? White is bigger but both seem shifty and willing to distribute even if they aren't exactly Steve Nash.
I just read that Waters measured just 5' 10 & 3/4" I haven't seen Edwards measurements yet but probably it will be similar.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:44 pm
carey wrote:
I just read that Waters measured just 5' 10 & 3/4" I haven't seen Edwards measurements yet but probably it will be similar.
Edwards measured at 6'0 in shoes.

I think Waters has better point guard and defensive skills than White. White is the superior scorer.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:49 pm
Edwards measured at 6'0 in shoes.

I think Waters has better point guard and defensive skills than White. White is the superior scorer.
That Waters measurement was w/ out so probably pretty close.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't take a guy seriously that names a website after himself and the slogan is "uniquely good analysis"--is that all tongue in cheek?

carey

Post by carey »

carey wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 am

That Waters measurement must have been with shoes. This has him as 5' 9.5".

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

carey wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:11 am
carey wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 am

That Waters measurement must have been with shoes. This has him as 5' 9.5".

Maybe with the money we save we can buy him a little step ladder to carry as he runs up and down the court...maybe we can even get Sarver to spring for a little fire engine to drive back and forth?

😁

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:06 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm
carey wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm
Split T wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:10 am
I think with as shallow as this draft is perceived, Garland isn't going to be there at #6. I think it's possible the Knicks take him at #3 (especially if they're picking him for some other team), but there's no way he's falling past Cleveland at #5. I think he just kind of fits in perfect with Sexton.
Hmm, I don’t see it with Cleveland. They are kinda the same player. Both scoring guards with questionable playmaking. Both undersized for the 2. Defensively they’d be a mess. And if Garland goes top 5, that probably means Culver fell to 6. Or you just take Hunter/Clarke.
Or Reddish, who does kind of fit our roster. I think workouts will keep Cam from dropping to 6. They're saying he works out extremely well. He's been compared very favorably to Paul George. I think there may have been a little alpha dog problem with he and Zion.
I'm not sure about this. Zion, even though he is an alpha dog, didn't mind just fitting in and filling in the holes. He was happy to be the 3rd option if needed to be. Look at all the times he just acquiesced to RJ. Truth is Cam had every opportunity to step up and take the mantle, but shrunk most of the time. He's not as tall as George, but he's extremely skilled and it was surprising that he didn't shoot better, which was concerning since most of those were wide open assisted shots.
People are going to talk themselves into Cam Reddish, but In2 nailed it here.

Rudy Gay was disappointing in college, but has had a solid career, although it took him a long time to figure out how to contribute to a winning situation. Maybe Reddish follows the same path. But I know I have no desire to gamble on him.
I agree, this is definitely a gamble. It's always possible that it could pay off, but seems really shortsighted for a team like the Suns to take that gamble. They really can't afford that and risking it fail, after doing it over and over the past 10 yrs.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Could be true, but it's just kinda lazy speculation that the team who needs a PG would promise a PG.

I think it's more likely that Klutch seeds this rumor to stir interest in their guy.
Honestly, if the Suns go point guard in this draft, I'd prefer for it to be in the late first round/early second with Tremont Waters.
I really agree with the part of late first round/early second. I think the pgs in this range could end up better than Garland and I think there will be a large number of options there. I just don't understand using the 6th pick on a pg this year, when honestly they've already decided that they want to bring in a vet to start ahead of them, and next year's draft for pgs is going to be super talented and super deep. This sounds more like McD's strategy to double down on a bad drafts and pass on deep drafts because...you think you are the smartest guy in the room.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am
INFORMER wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

I really agree with the part of late first round/early second. I think the pgs in this range could end up better than Garland and I think there will be a large number of options there. I just don't understand using the 6th pick on a pg this year, when honestly they've already decided that they want to bring in a vet to start ahead of them, and next year's draft for pgs is going to be super talented and super deep. This sounds more like McD's strategy to double down on a bad drafts and pass on deep drafts because...you think you are the smartest guy in the room.
Let's hope that if it is true, it is part of a bigger plan?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:19 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am
INFORMER wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

Let's hope that if it is true, it is part of a bigger plan?
It's hard to tell what the "bigger plan" is with this new front office, but they've seemed to be doing the right things so far. So I feel the need to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point, but idk.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think I’ve decided that shooting needs to be our #1 priority. We’ve got Booker and Ayton as our foundational pieces. We need to surround them with as much shooting as possible. So we should look at any additions as a shooter first. Can they shoot? Then ask what else they can do. Ball handling, play making, defense are secondary priorities.

Garland and Hunter seem to be the best shooters in our draft range and will vault to the top of my board. Garland gets the edge because he fills another need as a ball handler. Hunter fills a need as a defensive minded 4, but I think ball handler trumps that. I’ll put Culver 3 because he’s got potential as a ball handler and a shooter as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:53 pm
I think I’ve decided that shooting needs to be our #1 priority. We’ve got Booker and Ayton as our foundational pieces. We need to surround them with as much shooting as possible. So we should look at any additions as a shooter first. Can they shoot? Then ask what else they can do. Ball handling, play making, defense are secondary priorities.

Garland and Hunter seem to be the best shooters in our draft range and will vault to the top of my board. Garland gets the edge because he fills another need as a ball handler. Hunter fills a need as a defensive minded 4, but I think ball handler trumps that. I’ll put Culver 3 because he’s got potential as a ball handler and a shooter as well.
I think I agree with you that shooting is #1. But we are so bad and need so many things. Our ball-handling and passing are bad, which stagnates our offense as most guys just stand around knowing they won't get a pass. Our defense is porous and allows way too many easy baskets, and our two best players, Booker and Ayton, are both below-average defenders. We don't have many good rebounders on the team.

We're basically bad at almost everything an NBA team needs to be good at. I don't know that even the savviest offseason could fix most of the holes we have in our team.

I think what I want us to do is to put our #1 priority on finding a veteran PG who can run our offense. I'd love Conley, would also be happy with guys like Rubio or Collison. After that, I agree with you that shooting is a high priority; I'd tend to want 3-and-D guys who will be ready to hit open shots but can also guard their man and help contribute to a better defensive identity. Then after that I want to see us shore up the PF rotation, maybe going after a veteran like Millsap or Love or somebody like that.

This is such a tough offseason for us. So much hangs in the balance. I hope we can make enough positive changes that Booker will be content with the state and direction / future outlook of this team and will therefore want to stay long-term.