Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 am
https://www.sbnation.com/2019/5/17/1862 ... mind-blown

My initial thoughts are...idk...maybe...could happen...would he sign and extension?...could they pull out another move?...
Wouldn’t give up a 2021 unprotected...that leaves us very vulnerable if AD leaves after 1 year. Honestly, I don’t think we need to add another pick, unless it’s the Milwaukee pick. Ayton, Warren, #6 and the Mil Pick is very in line with the offers NY, LA, or Boston could offer.

I’d probably do it, even without a full commitment from AD. As long as he was willing to give it a chance, I’d roll the dice on Monty and Booker convincing him this could be a contender.

How you fill out the roster could be tricky. It would be easier if NO wanted Tyler Johnson’s contract instead of Warren. Then we could either trade warren into someone’s cap space or for non guaranteed contracts plus a late pick. Inf mentioned to Utah for korver/Neto and #23.

Now you’ve got Booker/Bridges/Davis in addition to bench guys Jackson/Melton/Okobo. You retain rights to Holmes and Oubre , you have the 23rd pick and have 30 million in cap space.

That’s a lot to work with. You’d need a pg and another big to pair with AD, then probably 2 more bench guys. Use #23 for a bench guy, the room exception for bench guy #2 and then split the 30 million between a pg and pf.
Heck, I think I would do it to, if I knew for sure that Kyrie actually did want to come to Phx to play alongside Booker and AD. Then you see how you could make it work in a sign and trade with Boston. I'd be willing to give up the 2021 pick if AD was open to signing long term, and use the #6 on Clarke to have the defensive front court consisting of AD, Clarke, Oubre, Bridges, Holmes and possibly Bender. With a 2nd yr Melton and whoever they pick at 32, it could be just the type of team that would create excitement and win.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Do you think Kyrie knows yet that he can't be a #1 on a championship team?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:51 am
Do you think Kyrie knows yet that he can't be a #1 on a championship team?
I think all 3 guys(Booker, Kyrie, AD) have been told that by the "experts". Heck, we all have been lectured many times about this so called "fact".
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:14 pm
Best news of the offseason so far.
I'm hopeful this organization is starting to turn the corner.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:59 am
https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/05/16/ ... enix-suns/

Who wrote this? Who is Andrew Clark?
The first two sentences told me all I need to know.
The Phoenix Suns have potentially lined (sic) to point guard yrie (sic) Irving. Such a signing would be a huge mistake.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shaq talking about Ayton in the ROY race:
“Deandre Ayton had a OK season but you know he was out a lot with injuries.”

A lot? He played one game less than Doncic.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Plus he played better than OK:
Ayton, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, was the only rookie to average a double-double. Ayton’s 10.3 rebounds per game was the top mark among rookies and his 16.3 points per game ranked fourth behind Luka Doncic, Trae Young and Collin Sexton.

The 20-year-old’s rookie season was the most efficient historically given his production levels. Ayton is one of 35 rookies to average at least 16 points and 10 rebounds a game and his 60.8 TS% is the best of them all. Ayton is the the third rookie this decade to average a double-double, joining Blake Griffin and Karl-Anthony Towns.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Players who create offense will always be considered better, even if advanced stats disagree. I think that’s fair though. You can make an argument that Ayton’s stats are better, as he leads in efficiency, win shares, etc. But he’s not asked to do as much as Doncic and Trae. Ball handlers and shot creators are more important and they will go 1-2 in ROY.

If we feature Ayton more next season and he shows some more playmaking from the post or on the roll, his value will go up across the nba.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 am
Wouldn’t give up a 2021 unprotected...that leaves us very vulnerable if AD leaves after 1 year. Honestly, I don’t think we need to add another pick, unless it’s the Milwaukee pick. Ayton, Warren, #6 and the Mil Pick is very in line with the offers NY, LA, or Boston could offer.

I’d probably do it, even without a full commitment from AD. As long as he was willing to give it a chance, I’d roll the dice on Monty and Booker convincing him this could be a contender.

How you fill out the roster could be tricky. It would be easier if NO wanted Tyler Johnson’s contract instead of Warren. Then we could either trade warren into someone’s cap space or for non guaranteed contracts plus a late pick. Inf mentioned to Utah for korver/Neto and #23.

Now you’ve got Booker/Bridges/Davis in addition to bench guys Jackson/Melton/Okobo. You retain rights to Holmes and Oubre , you have the 23rd pick and have 30 million in cap space.

That’s a lot to work with. You’d need a pg and another big to pair with AD, then probably 2 more bench guys. Use #23 for a bench guy, the room exception for bench guy #2 and then split the 30 million between a pg and pf.
If I am trading for AD, I need to keep Ayton (and obviously Booker), otherwise there is not enough room to build a bonafide playoff team in the West and Davis would be gone. Would fight like crazy for Bridges too.

Problem is, slipping to #6 essentially took us out of the race, in my opinion. But in the event NOP would even listen to a move without Ayton, I'd put #6 plus #2021 and an extra pick (both unprotected) on the table. Still, probably too little compared to a total package from NYK/BOS, unless AD forced his way here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s how I figure our cap space for this offseason:

Assuming we keep all current guaranteed contracts, don’t trade #6, and retain cap holds for Oubre and Holmes, we will have 10.1 million in cap space.

10.1 million is baseline
10.8 million if we renounce Holmes
18.9 million if we renounce Oubre
19.6 million if we renounce both Holmes and Oubre
20.1 million if we dump Warren for no guaranteed money
22.1 million if we stretch Tyler Johnson
31.6 million if we renounce all FA’s and stretch Tyler Johnson
32.1 million if we stretch Tyler Johnson and dump Warren
36.6 million if we renounce all FA’s, stretch Tyler Johnson and trade #6 for no incoming salary.

I figure the 36.6 is the most space we can create without relying on cooperation from other teams.

I like the 20.1 million option of dumping Warren for future assets and non guaranteed contracts. It takes finding the right team, but could be possible. That gives us enough space to potentially attract a difference maker and puts us as an option for RFA’s like Brogdon. I’d stretch Tyler to get that number to 32 million if we had any indicator that we could land a big name target or two.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danny Leroux who is a CBA expert has an excellent article on The Athletic breaking down the Suns off-season options. I'll just post the conclusion here:

https://theathletic.com/982973/2019/05/ ... enix-suns/
State of the Franchise: Building, Speed TBD. It will be absolutely fascinating to see how management approaches this offseason. There are reasons to believe they could take it slowly, from hiring a new coach on a five-year contract to solidifying the front office structure around a triumvirate of Jones, Jeff Bower and Trevor Bukstein. However, Jones’ public comments signal a more aggressive approach involving their draft pick, cap space or both. There are clearly scenarios where that plan succeeds, from acquiring a guard who puts Booker and Ayton in better positions to thrive to adding someone who establishes a defensive foundation that sparks their development on that end of the floor. This Suns roster unequivocally needs a talent infusion before taking the next step so the question is the best way to get there with a broader view of their timetable.

The next steps are even more important for the Suns because of their significant long-term commitments. Booker will make about $30 million per season through 2024 while Warren and Ayton are under contract for another three seasons at significant salaries. In all likelihood, those combined obligations give the front office one chance to add a difference-maker at a significant salary whether that comes in 2019, 2020 or 2021. That structure means Jones does not need to commit to a final big piece this summer but has the ability to, making it a crucial offseason for the franchise.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If we get CP3, I’ll be done cheering for the team until that ERA is over. Absolutely can’t stand him and won’t root for a Paul led team

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t worry about Chris Paul...I don’t think Houston is trading him and I can’t fathom us having any interest if they do. He’s like 35 years old.

They’d have to take both TJ’s, Josh Jackson and then also include 4 future firsts to make it worthwhile to me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We don't want Mike Conley because he's 31 and makes 65 mil over the next two year so let's trade for Chris Paul who's 34 and makes 120 mil over the next 3 years.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

3 years, $124 million.

Chris Paul isn't going anywhere.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like Conley, but the assets required to get him and the remaining salary on his deal are just too much to concede for the Suns.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 pm
But Gambo, there's not much else to talk about!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:47 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 pm
But Gambo, there's not much else to talk about!
He's just getting us ready for the Kyrie signing with the Suns, lol.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Anyone here like Seth Curry as a possible signing?