Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 pm
Any takers?

Memphis gets: Solomon Hill, E'twaun Moore, #4
LAL gets: Anthony Davis
Phoenix gets: Lonzo Ball
New Orleans gets: Mike Conley, Brandon Ingram, TJ Warren, Milwaukee 1st rounder
That's pretty good. I'd like it for the Suns, but I'm not sure NO would be into taking on that much salary. Don't Warren and Zion kinda play the same position?

I imagine it would be a nightmare to get three GM's to agree, let alone four.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:36 pm
I don’t get Lonzo...he’s literally the worst shooter we’ve seen in a long time.
Who cares? Ben Simmons can’t shoot. Jason Kidd couldn’t shoot until he got older. Rondo’s been a horrible shooter and he was a championship PG.

Lonzo’s a great distributor and defender. The two things we need most. He would make the players on our team better, especially Ayton.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:27 pm
Split T wrote:
Who cares? Ben Simmons can’t shoot. Jason Kidd couldn’t shoot until he got older. Rondo’s been a horrible shooter and he was a championship PG.

Lonzo’s a great distributor and defender. The two things we need most. He would make the players on our team better, especially Ayton.
Kidd and Rondo player in different era’s...plus they were better than Lonzo at everything else. Simmons doesn’t shoot jumpers, but he still shoots at 55% from the field. Lonzo can’t make any shots...plus Simmons is also better at everything else. Lonzo is Rubio. He can be fine, but I’m not giving up 6 for him, no chance.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Any takers?

That's all New Orleans gets for Anthony Davis? I'd be pissed as a NO fan.

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:03 am
INFORMER wrote:
Any takers?

The Spurs only got DeRozan, Poeltl, and a top 20 protected pick for both Kawhi and Danny Green.

One year rentals for superstars are tough.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Any takers?

I would do it for the Suns, but I think NO would rather have one more year of AD than that take. They would probably need a higher pick.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 am
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Any takers?

The Spurs only got DeRozan, Poeltl, and a top 20 protected pick for both Kawhi and Danny Green.

Kwahi was injured and had a rep as a system player who wasn't ready to be an alpha. Plus, there were rumors that he chose to sit out when he could have played. I think AD has more value.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:11 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 am
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Any takers?

Kwahi was injured and had a rep as a system player who wasn't ready to be an alpha. Plus, there were rumors that he chose to sit out when he could have played. I think AD has more value.
That is all true. But we are also talking about the Spurs vs the Pelicans. I highly doubt there were any better offers to be had if that is what the Spurs got. I get the impression a new GM (even one with experience) won't get as much as he could for AD.

Split T

Post by Split T »

AD isn’t a rental if he’s going to LA...and Memphis getting #4 for Conley is too much. Agree that NO would need more there.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:57 am
AD isn’t a rental if he’s going to LA...and Memphis getting #4 for Conley is too much. Agree that NO would need more there.
He is in the fact that he will become an unrestricted free agent no matter where he goes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sure, but he’d just resign. LA is where he wants to be

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:49 am
So they don't need to trade for him. All this does it get him there 1 year to 6 months sooner. So it is a matter of how much do you have to give the NOP to rent him for those 6-12 months.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:56 am
Split T wrote:
So they don't need to trade for him. All this does it get him there 1 year to 6 months sooner. So it is a matter of how much do you have to give the NOP to rent him for those 6-12 months.
That’s a good point, but then you also have to wait another year to build via free agency. I’m not super familiar with their cap situation, but I think they can sign a max free agent along with trading for AD this summer. If they wait to sign AD in 2021, I’m not sure they can also add another max free agent this year and still have the cap space. So getting him this year is pretty important for them.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It would be hilarious if AD was traded somewhere and just pulled a McDyess and went back to NOP next year. Only took him one year to build his championship core.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:53 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

Kidd and Rondo player in different era’s...plus they were better than Lonzo at everything else. Simmons doesn’t shoot jumpers, but he still shoots at 55% from the field. Lonzo can’t make any shots...plus Simmons is also better at everything else. Lonzo is Rubio. He can be fine, but I’m not giving up 6 for him, no chance.
Lonzo for Josh Jackson and 32. That’s all id give up. He can’t shoot and while he’d be an upgrade he’s probably a career backup on a good team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I've never understood this impatience by big-market teams to trade for a guy who's going to be a free agent anyway and wants to come there. The Knicks famously traded for Melo with Denver half a season before he would have been an FA anyway, and they gave up all their youth and assets to get him and lowered the ceiling of the team. Why can't LA just wait for the guy to come as a free agent, and then they'll have Davis plus a trove of young assets?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:01 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
That’s a good point, but then you also have to wait another year to build via free agency. I’m not super familiar with their cap situation, but I think they can sign a max free agent along with trading for AD this summer. If they wait to sign AD in 2021, I’m not sure they can also add another max free agent this year and still have the cap space. So getting him this year is pretty important for them.
Good point from you too. I forgot about how that works. I heard today Boston couldn't trade for AD now anyway, because of the cap rules they have to wait for Kyrie to become a FA first.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Why can't LA just wait for the guy to come as a free agent, and then they'll have Davis plus a trove of young assets?
They don't want to throw away another year of LBJ's prime which he is clearly on the tail end of if not already passed it. He's 34 and has a lot of mileage on him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:01 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Good point from you too. I forgot about how that works. I heard today Boston couldn't trade for AD now anyway, because of the cap rules they have to wait for Kyrie to become a FA first.
Ya, they can agree on a trade, but can’t actually pull it off until July 1st

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:53 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

I would give up #6 for Rubio. Heck, I wouldn’t be mad if Sarver wanted to just sell #6 (a la 2004-2006), in order to have more cap space. Chances are we aren’t going to get a good player at #6 in this draft, and we don’t need any more rookies.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.