Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by In2ition »

Feels like the Suns lucked into a decent FA signing. If MJ hadn't saved them, and Bojan didn't sign with Utah, who would have been left? Maybe they would have pivoted to Corey Joseph or even bit the bullet to go after D'Angelo hard?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's so weird to think that the same front office would think that Terry Rozier and Ricky Rubio were good candidates for the same roster spot and role on the same team. I mean, regardless of whether you like Rozier or Rubio better, they are so different as players.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:59 pm
It's so weird to think that the same front office would think that Terry Rozier and Ricky Rubio were good candidates for the same roster spot and role on the same team. I mean, regardless of whether you like Rozier or Rubio better, they are so different as players.
I think they were just going through available point guards alphabetically..Rozier, no. Rubio yes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Gladiator wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I think they were just going through available point guards alphabetically..Rozier, no. Rubio yes.
Ha!
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think Rubio was initially an option for us. He was going to Indiana, everyone had been assuming that for awhile. Indy switched course at the last minute when Bogdonavic signed with Utah. They had more money to spend and went after Brogdon instead.

Not sure if the suns were going after Rozier and switched to Rubio when he became available or if they wanted Rozier and settled for Rubio when Rozier switched course. Or we got lucky and ended up with the guy we wanted(Rubio) when Rozier and Indy both switched course at the same time.

Curious what we would have done if Indy stuck with Rubio and Rozier still went to Charlotte. I’d guess one of the restricted guys(Wright, Jones, Satoransky) or Joseph.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 pm
I don’t think Rubio was initially an option for us. He was going to Indiana, everyone had been assuming that for awhile. Indy switched course at the last minute when Bogdonavic signed with Utah. They had more money to spend and went after Brogdon instead.

Not sure if the suns were going after Rozier and switched to Rubio when he became available or if they wanted Rozier and settled for Rubio when Rozier switched course. Or we got lucky and ended up with the guy we wanted(Rubio) when Rozier and Indy both switched course at the same time.

Curious what we would have done if Indy stuck with Rubio and Rozier still went to Charlotte. I’d guess one of the restricted guys(Wright, Jones, Satoransky) or Joseph.
I'm pretty sure that you have the timeline messed up a little. Indiana switched course after Rubio decided against going there because Bogdonavic decided to go to Utah. They were set to sign Rubio, but then had to switch to Brogdon.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I don't know...I could see them ranking these guys 1 and 2 and just figuring they're both low percentage shooting PGs who can run offense, play defense and have some good experience in the league. Their styles are different, so maybe Monty would look to play slower with Rozier and we'd see Booker handling and running offense some more. With Rubio, he'll be the primary ballhandler but can play faster and set up the shooters.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Split T wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you have the timeline messed up a little. Indiana switched course after Rubio decided against going there because Bogdonavic decided to go to Utah. They were set to sign Rubio, but then had to switch to Brogdon.
Where did you get that? I'm pretty sure the Brogdon news was reported before the Rubio news. I think Split's account is closer to what actually happened.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Split T wrote:

Where did you get that? I'm pretty sure the Brogdon news was reported before the Rubio news. I think Split's account is closer to what actually happened.
From Rubio's account of the situation.
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019 ... ana-pacers

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

My wildcard is Ty...I've got some hope we're all going to be going WOW by part way into the season...

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nba/ ... 342604001/

Vladimir_Taltos

Vladimir_Taltos

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I really like Jerome, but am staying cautious. We didn't get to see him in summer league...so he's way way way under the radar right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Just remember, it’s not always Rozier on the other side.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

That's 3 blocks from my place. I would have tried to sneak in there had I known.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 pm
That's 3 blocks from my place. I would have tried to sneak in there had I known.
Dude!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He pulled the Dr. J move.

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:I really like Jerome, but am staying cautious. We didn't get to see him in summer league...so he's way way way under the radar right now.
The Greivis comparison is not too bad. I do worry about his athleticism, honestly. He's going to struggle defensively. That's a given. We just have to pair him with the right guys to cover his flaws. You probably don't want him out there with Booker too much at first. Maybe you want him with Oubre, Bridges, Baynes, and Bumpy? That's a solid defensive unit if not spectacular. 3 players with a good steal rate.

If he shoots the ball well and passes guys open there will be minutes to be had. It's just really unfortunate how short his arms are and how slow he is. Then again we likely wouldn't have been able to draft him otherwise.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."