NCAA clears way for athletes to profit from names, images and likenesses

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
AmareIsGod

NCAA clears way for athletes to profit from names, images and likenesses

Post by AmareIsGod »

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... likenesses
The NCAA's top decision-makers voted unanimously Tuesday to start the process of modifying its rule to allow college athletes to profit from their names, images and likenesses "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."

The board directed the three separate divisions of the organization to immediately begin figuring out how to update their rules in a way that maintains a distinction between college and professional sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain the priorities of education and the collegiate experience, and ensure that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each division to implement new rules by January 2021.

"We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes," board chair Michel Drake said. "Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships."
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Re: NCAA clears way for athletes to profit from names, images and likenesses

Post by Superbone »

Nice!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The NCAA's top decision-makers voted unanimously Tuesday to start the process of modifying its rule to allow college athletes to profit from their names, images and likenesses "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."
That quote is important. I don't for a second think the millionaires who've profited off of student athletes for decades are just going to open the door to a free market of opportunities. They're still going to get their over-sized slice of the pie. At least this is a step in the right direction.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

They haven't agreed to anything substantial they just want to get Congress and states governments off their backs.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695