Suns News: Week 11 1/6-1/12

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Suns News: Week 11 1/6-1/12

Post by AmareIsGod »

A little behind we are, I've noticed.

I've only got one to contribute but I'm sure it will make plenty of us around here happy.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2216845 ... ng-lineup/
After a blown 21-point lead on Tuesday in a loss to the Sacramento Kings, Williams said Wednesday that he wants to think hard about that starting unit heading into a Friday game against the Orlando Magic.

“(The sample size is) small but I also have to do what’s best for the team and that’s something I’m going to give deep thought to tonight and tomorrow,” he said. “(GM) James (Jones) and I knew this would be a year of learning. You want to win games when you are learning but this is something we had to try and see if guys could get comfortable with it.

“To be honest, I’m not sure I’m going to stick with it just because of the lack of success or comfortability with that particular move.”

Specifically, Williams acknowledged that moving Ayton to play more as a power forward has gotten the second-year pro and No. 1 pick out of rhythm.

Ayton, who has not made himself available to the media since the loss, went for a season-high 21 points with nine rebounds on 10-of-14 shooting Tuesday in the 114-103 defeat.

He got off to a fast start and was heavily involved in pick-and-rolls, but the game also had several valleys.

“He shows flashes of athleticism and strength and force, and there are times you can tell the timing is off. The awareness of playing a different position is maybe hurting him right now,” Williams said. “We’ll reevaluate that as we get ready for the next game.”
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 11 1/6-1/12

Post by Split T »

Now I just hope Bridges is who joins the starting lineup, but I’m sure it will be Saric.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm
Now I just hope Bridges is who joins the starting lineup, but I’m sure it will be Saric.
Bridges is a very good defensive player UNTIL he has to be physical. He just doesn't have the mass to root out the players he's forced to guard.

Anyone know of the next Rodman coming thru the draft? That's the type of player we need on this team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Like Buck said, he just doesn't have the strength/weight to guard many of the 4s around the league. Also, if he is in the starting line up with Kelly, who is our bench for 3-5? Baynes, Dario and ... ? Cam?

For offense, we need either Book or Rubio on the floor at all times. Preferably with either Ayton or Kelly.

For defense, we need two of Bridges, Baynes, Kelly, Ayton and Rubio on the floor at all times.

I don't really care who starts, it is about having the right lineups all game to maintain our intensity.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bridges ain't it in the starting lineup.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:26 am
Split T wrote:
Bridges is a very good defensive player UNTIL he has to be physical. He just doesn't have the mass to root out the players he's forced to guard.

Anyone know of the next Rodman coming thru the draft? That's the type of player we need on this team.
I think the last Rodman was Rodman. These guys are few and far between.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:39 am
Split T wrote:
Like Buck said, he just doesn't have the strength/weight to guard many of the 4s around the league. Also, if he is in the starting line up with Kelly, who is our bench for 3-5? Baynes, Dario and ... ? Cam?

For offense, we need either Book or Rubio on the floor at all times. Preferably with either Ayton or Kelly.

For defense, we need two of Bridges, Baynes, Kelly, Ayton and Rubio on the floor at all times.

I don't really care who starts, it is about having the right lineups all game to maintain our intensity.
Sure, but our best lineups have included Bridges and Oubre at the 3/4. Perhaps that’s because we’ve played those lineups against bench units, I haven’t paid enough attention to notice, but could be worth a look. I’m not really worried about post up 4’s...if teams want to switch their game plans up to try and attack Bridges or Oubre in the post, I’m ok with it.

But if you look at where we’ve struggled this year, it’s not on the glass. We’ve been a fairly good rebounding team. Ayton gobbles up a lot and Bridges/Oubre have both increased their rebounding this year.

Defensively, we actually do an ok job limiting shots near the rim. It’s on perimeter shots that we give up way higher percentages than average. Getting another wing into the lineup that is known for defense and can switch and close out on the perimeter could be very beneficial.

The other idea would be to just forget about defense and throw Cam out there to give us the shooter. This is where it’d be real nice if Bridges or Saric were shooting better.

As for rotations, a Baynes/Saric/Cam at 3-5 seems just fine to me.

If you start Rubio/Booker/Oubre/Bridges/Ayton...first subs can be Okobo/Saric/Baynes for Rubio/Bridges/Ayton. That keeps Booker/Kelly on the floor offensively and Kelly/Baynes defensively. Then bring Rubio/Cam/Ayton in for Booker/Kelly/Baynes. That keeps Rubio/Ayton on the floor offensively with Cam. That unit could struggle defensively, but just bring Bridges in for Saric or run with Baynes/Ayton for a minute.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we need more 3s and more D. So I vote that we play Cam lots more minutes, followed by Bridges (when his shot is on). Okobo's hitting his 3s very well, so give him more bench guard minutes. I like Baynes a lot for situational 3s and D, but not next to Ayton; prefer that as the bench center.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am
But if you look at where we’ve struggled this year, it’s not on the glass. We’ve been a fairly good rebounding team.
We rank 22nd out of 30 in rebounding differential. I guess that’s “fairly good” by Suns standards.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Split T wrote:
But if you look at where we’ve struggled this year, it’s not on the glass. We’ve been a fairly good rebounding team.
We rank 22nd out of 30 in rebounding differential. I guess that’s “fairly good” by Suns standards.
Maybe I should have said defensive rebounding. We are a bad offensive rebounding team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Split T wrote:
And that's without Ayton for 30 games. It's certainly improved this year and is another measure of many things that have improved greatly this year. It really feels like they are close, but these close games and heartbreaking losses are diminishing that feeling.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

We are 6th in Defensive rebound%

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Alex Caruso has increased his lead over Devin Booker in All-Star voting:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:44 pm
Alex Caruso has increased his lead over Devin Booker in All-Star voting:
Well deserved!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wait, how can Doncic have 3.3 million votes and yet Ayton who was picked number one overall isn't even on the board?
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I listen to a handful of podcasts so I can't remember who said it, but the All-Star stuff is ridiculous because people love to be outraged so much about who plays in a game that they don't actually watch or care about.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:37 pm
I listen to a handful of podcasts so I can't remember who said it, but the All-Star stuff is ridiculous because people love to be outraged so much about who plays in a game that they don't actually watch or care about.
so true. I watch almost every minute of every suns game, and many other games around the league. I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched the all-star game. I am much more likely to catch a few minutes of the rookie/sophomore game, maybe the 3 point shoot out.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It isn’t the game as much as it is the honor of being picked for the game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:13 am
It isn’t the game as much as it is the honor of being picked for the game.
But even that is a joke. Would Alex Caruso really feel honored? I'm sure he's self aware enough to realize that he's not an All-Star level player.

The only reason it really matters is for the players when they're negotiating a new contract. And if we're being 100% honest, it's always better for the organization for players to take less money as long as the GM is competent.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Being 8th instead of 9th means absolutely nothing. Caruso is never going to get enough fan votes to start, and even if he did, the media and players have half the vote as well and won’t vote him in.

I don’t pay any attention to the fan vote.