New movies streaming now due to COVID-19

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

New movies streaming now due to COVID-19

Post by Superbone »

I really wanted to see the new Invisible Man. I went on Apple TV last night and see it is available along with other new movies for 20 bucks! Sure, I could afford it but as a single viewer, that's just too much. I refuse to pay that much. I can see how it makes sense for a family or even two people at 10 bucks each but I'm not going to pay that to watch it by myself. I'm just going to wait for a price drop on principle.

I was also interested in The Hunt, also at $20. However, I read last night that it wasn't very good. Anybody see it?

What do you think about these new movies streaming at $20?
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Re: New movies streaming now due to COVID-19

Post by ShelC »

Do you at least get to keep it or watch it a certain amount of times?

I don't think I've ever paid to stream/download anything ever and I hardly go to the movies, tho I watch a lot of movies. I guess $20 is reasonable if a normal movie ticket is $12-$16 and you're sitting comfortably in your own home. And you probably save on snacks too. That might be the way things are headed anyways which is why theaters are in trouble.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

To answer your questions:
When you rent a movie, you have 30 days to start watching it. As soon as you play your rental, your rental is available for 48 hours. Your rental automatically deletes from your library 30 days after you rent it or 48 hours after you start watching it, whichever is sooner.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 pm
Do you at least get to keep it or watch it a certain amount of times?

I don't think I've ever paid to stream/download anything ever and I hardly go to the movies, tho I watch a lot of movies. I guess $20 is reasonable if a normal movie ticket is $12-$16 and you're sitting comfortably in your own home. And you probably save on snacks too. That might be the way things are headed anyways which is why theaters are in trouble.
I think it might be reasonable for two or more. Also, I don't have any popcorn at the moment. Hmm, might need to order some on Amazon.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wouldn't you pay 12-15 for a single ticket at a theatre? That seems reasonable to me, depending on if you have a nice tv and surround system set up.

Indy

Post by Indy »

This honestly is likely a trial balloon to see if this could be a new model. I am curious what it costs a studio to "release" their movie to a theatre as a percentage of revenue.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:24 am
This honestly is likely a trial balloon to see if this could be a new model. I am curious what it costs a studio to "release" their movie to a theatre as a percentage of revenue.
Don't they get nearly 100% of revenue the first couple weeks at the theater? Idk what it is, but it's really high iirc.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 am
Indy wrote:
Don't they get nearly 100% of revenue the first couple weeks at the theater? Idk what it is, but it's really high iirc.
I mean adding up all of the stuff they do like printing posters and those huge cardboard displays and other 3D marketing materials, distribution of films for those theatres that still use it (not sure how they share the digital versions though), and any other marketing work they do that is local instead of just trailers/billboards/online promotions. Like what does it cost to get it into each theatre, vs just releasing through their own website.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 am
Indy wrote:
I mean adding up all of the stuff they do like printing posters and those huge cardboard displays and other 3D marketing materials, distribution of films for those theatres that still use it (not sure how they share the digital versions though), and any other marketing work they do that is local instead of just trailers/billboards/online promotions. Like what does it cost to get it into each theatre, vs just releasing through their own website.
Good point
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:23 am
Wouldn't you pay 12-15 for a single ticket at a theatre? That seems reasonable to me, depending on if you have a nice tv and surround system set up.
I'm paying for the big screen movie theater experience in that case. Like you said, it's probably a trial balloon. I can afford it but I won't pay $20 out of principle. I'd pay half of that or maybe $12 at most for a brand new movie. I'll just wait it out.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Yeah. That's a steep asking price for a rental. I buy lots of digital movies for my library for less than that on Google Play Movies that I get to keep (well, as long as Google Play Movies exists I'd imagine). I rent movies as well for $5 from time to time. A $20 rental is a bit much. There's already enough older and newer content that I can overcome waiting a couple months for that $15 to $20 to amount to a purchase I own. I'm not hurting for content.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

$20 is way too much and you don’t get to keep it? I wouldn’t buy a movie to keep anyway. It’s not like I am going to sit down and watch it over and over again. Once is enough most of the time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:14 am
$20 is way too much and you don’t get to keep it? I wouldn’t buy a movie to keep anyway. It’s not like I am going to sit down and watch it over and over again. Once is enough most of the time.
I guess I am the only one that thinks paying $20 for my wife and I to watch a new movie in our home is too much. Even when we go to a matinee it costs more than 20 to see it in a theatre that I have no control over the volume, what time is starts, and how loud the person next to me is while chewing their popcorn and opening their candy wrappers and slurping their soda.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:30 am
Nodack wrote:
I guess I am the only one that thinks paying $20 for my wife and I to watch a new movie in our home is too much. Even when we go to a matinee it costs more than 20 to see it in a theatre that I have no control over the volume, what time is starts, and how loud the person next to me is while chewing their popcorn and opening their candy wrappers and slurping their soda.
If I could sit down with my wife and calmly enjoy the rental, I think I would sometimes go for a $20. But I have an almost 4-year old and a 3-month old and sitting down to watch a movie is a tall order! I usually buy them because I have to watch them in 15-20 minute increments over the course of a week :lol: .

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 am
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
If I could sit down with my wife and calmly enjoy the rental, I think I would sometimes go for a $20. But I have an almost 4-year old and a 3-month old and sitting down to watch a movie is a tall order! I usually buy them because I have to watch them in 15-20 minute increments over the course of a week :lol: .
Yeah, I am speaking as someone that got through that stage of my life. I don't think my wife and I saw a movie in the theatre between 2007 and 2014. Maybe 1 or 2 a year when the grandparents were there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Like I said, two or more might be worth it for a brand new movie rental but I'm not paying that as a solo viewer.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:45 pm
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Like I said, two or more might be worth it for a brand new movie rental but I'm not paying that as a solo viewer.
I agree. $20 may be a little much for just me, but if my whole family wants to see something it might be worth it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The price was definitely set knowing most viewings would have multiple people present. 2 people and it’s pretty close to the regular price of a movie. Any more than 2 people and you’re getting a good deal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My wife and I just watched the movie Yesterday. It's about a struggling musician who one day discovers that everyone else on Earth but him has forgotten all about The Beatles. So he starts playing Beatles songs and everybody thinks he's a musical genius. It's great! Highly recommended. Funny, good music, cute story, better than it has any right to be.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:23 am
My wife and I just watched the movie Yesterday.
What movie did you watch yesterday? ;) Yeah, saw it in the theaters. I enjoyed it.
"Be Legendary."