Sports and Politics/Social Change

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
ShelC

Sports and Politics/Social Change

Post by ShelC »

Thought maybe we needed a thread for this in the politics folder to keep it off the main board. A lot going on in the sports world that's crossing over into politics and athletes taking political action. There's this from Silver today, with 100 NBA employees striking today and spending the day calling elected officials

ShelC

Re: Sports and Politics/Social Change

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The NBA teams announce that they are going to use their arenas for voting locations in November.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:26 am
The NBA teams announce that they are going to use their arenas for voting locations in November.

Conveniently, the arenas tend to be in Democratic areas.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Dem or Republican, people should have a chance to vote. And in states like Georgia, where voter suppression is a real thing, this can actually help everyone. And it will help in terms of spacing with social distance guidelines from Covid.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Athletic has a paywall but the Bucks actually helped push for something to be done in Wisconsin. Sucks it took a phone call from a billionaire owner to make any progress but that's how it goes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:28 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:26 am

I don't know if it is convenient or not. Almost all metropolitan areas in the US have a more DEM voters than GOP. Rural is the opposite. And it would be dumb to build an arena in a rural area, because you kind of need a lot of people around to fill it up for games.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:28 pm
If by "Democratic areas" you mean "cities in the United States," then yes. The "Republican areas" of the country are absolutely more than welcome to set up tons of polling places. I personally want everyone to vote and for it to be easy for them to do so. I think Election Day should be a national holiday. I would even endorse stronger measures to reward people for voting, such as giving them a small tax credit for doing so, or whatever would get people motivated to do it. I don't think that is a partisan statement; I want everybody to feel like they should participate. And if you're a politician or candidate and you know everybody's going to vote, you are going to work hard to try to earn their votes and their support, rather than trying to depress turnout or appeal to a small base.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think it’s a nice gesture for the NBA to turn their arena’s into voting places. There are only 30 teams in the country, so overall it’s just a nice gesture. Trump will say it’s part of an election fraud scam aimed at him.

I would be into an election day holiday. Take away Columbus Day. He was an ass anyway. I still say we should be able to vote on the internet. I buy all my stuff on the internet. I pay my bills on the internet. I pay my state car registration on the internet. I do all my Covid unemployment from the internet. I order pizza on the internet. I buy and sell stock on the internet. All that is safe enough and voting isn’t? We mail all kinds of important things through the mail and it’s not safe enough for voting? It’s plenty safe and way too convenient for a certain party who might not want heavy voter turnout.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:07 pm
There are only 30 teams in the country
29 teams in the country. 28 arenas.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
I think it’s a nice gesture for the NBA to turn their arena’s into voting places. There are only 30 teams in the country, so overall it’s just a nice gesture. Trump will say it’s part of an election fraud scam aimed at him.

I would be into an election day holiday. Take away Columbus Day. He was an ass anyway. I still say we should be able to vote on the internet. I buy all my stuff on the internet. I pay my bills on the internet. I pay my state car registration on the internet. I do all my Covid unemployment from the internet. I order pizza on the internet. I buy and sell stock on the internet. All that is safe enough and voting isn’t? We mail all kinds of important things through the mail and it’s not safe enough for voting? It’s plenty safe and way too convenient for a certain party who might not want heavy voter turnout.
How many credit cards or online identities are stolen every day? And those are individual attacks. The US does not have the infrastructure to enable voting online AND do it securely. At least with in-person voting, or paper ballots (mailed or in person), you would have to find a way to hack thousands of times, in key districts, in several states. Online, you could have a single point of breach that changes votes anywhere.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Based on every polling place I have been to in my voting life, a typical NBA arena could probably handle 100x as many people efficiently. Maybe more. If you can easily get 15-20k people in and out of an arena for a game, imagine if each person only had to be there for 15 minutes and it was open for 12 hours. Parking is usually abundant near arenas, plenty of space to spread out voting machines/stalls to keep people 6 feet apart, and plenty of infrastructure already there.

Now all of that might be moot here in Phoenix, with AWA/TSRA under construction...

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:34 pm
Nodack wrote:
Based on every polling place I have been to in my voting life, a typical NBA arena could probably handle 100x as many people efficiently. Maybe more. If you can easily get 15-20k people in and out of an arena for a game, imagine if each person only had to be there for 15 minutes and it was open for 12 hours. Parking is usually abundant near arenas, plenty of space to spread out voting machines/stalls to keep people 6 feet apart, and plenty of infrastructure already there.

Now all of that might be moot here in Phoenix, with AWA/TSRA under construction...
Can the arena serve more than the precinct in which it is located?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was one of the Lincoln Projects most powerful videos yet thanks to Doc Rivers powerful speech.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:34 pm
Nodack wrote:

Can the arena serve more than the precinct in which it is located?
I think that is the key question. I do not know any of the various state laws on that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was a great video. Makes me almost want to forgive Doc for punching KJ.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am
I think the punch was warranted. The foul wasn't called, but KJ clearly through a hard elbow in Doc's neck.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am
I think the punch was warranted. The foul wasn't called, but KJ clearly through a hard elbow in Doc's neck.
Gentlemen, this is not the place! Take it to the main board! :D
"Be Legendary."