Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/e ... ecks-more/
This $900 billion portion of the package, which is focused on government stimulus and coronavirus-related aid, is tied to a much larger bill to fund government operations through 2021.

Details
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/20/politics ... index.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Tucked into Congress' massive stimulus bill: tens of billions in special interest tax giveaways
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/busine ... 822216.php

Bret Baier Baffled By Trump Budget Complaints: ‘Foreign Aid is in There Because His State Department Requested It’
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/bret-baier- ... 1608747642
“He is also downplaying and saying that this foreign aid should not be in the omnibus part,” Baier noted, “There are two parts. There is the Covid relief stimulus and then the funding of the government,” suggesting that President Trump may not have been fully informed of the government spending procedures at the root of his complaints.

“But the reason a lot of the foreign aid is in there is because his State Department requested that in a budget request in 2021,” Baier flatly proclaimed, swallowing any surprise that Trump would have the temerity to publicly criticize something that came from his own administration.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That part about streaming movies illegally, makes it a felony. Do we want to empty the prisons of violent felons, due to Covid, but then fill them up with people that watched movies illegally? That's insane.

The foreign aid needs to be in a different and separate bill. That's ridiculous.
Asia = $1,400,000,000
Egypt = $1,300,000,000
Sudan = $700,000,000
Israel = $500,000,000
Ukraine = $453,000,000
Burma = $135,000,000
Nepal = $130,000,000
Cambodia = $85,500,000
Pakistan = $25,000,000
Caribbean = $74,800,000
Colombia = $461,375,000
Domocratic Republic of the Congo = $325,000,000
Central African Republic = $3,000,000
Tunisia = $241,400,000
Malawi = $60,000,000
Jordan = $1,650,000,000
Cambodia = $85,505,000
Tibetian Communities = $17,000,000
Ukraine = $453,000,000
Georgia = $132,025,000
Laos = $80,930,000
Central America 505,920,000
and there are more...
$4,000,000,000 for navy weapons
$2,000,000,000 for air force missiles
Didn't they just have a Defense Bill that was signed?
tax breaks if you own a race horse?
$10 mil to Pakistan for gender programs?
$40 mil to the f'n Kennedy Center after it got $25 mil last time? It's not even open.
$193 mil to federal HIV/AIDS workers abroad to buy cars?
$4.4 mil to former Presidents?
$8 mil to the transition team? Didn't they just get money released to them by the GSA on Nov. 23rd?

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That part about streaming movies illegally, makes it a felony. Do we want to empty the prisons of violent felons, due to Covid, but then fill them up with people that watched movies illegally? That's insane.
I was reading more about that. They said they would be going after the people making a profit off of streaming movies, not the guy in his apartment streaming the movie.

New York (CNN Business)Tucked away in the more than 5,000-page long Covid-19 stimulus bill is a new law that severely punishes streamers that pirate large amounts of copyrighted content.

You probably have nothing to worry about: The "Protecting Lawful Streaming Act," which was introduced earlier this month by Senator Thom Tillis, a Republican from North Carolina, doesn't target casual internet users. The law specifies that it doesn't apply to people who use illegal streaming services or "individuals who access pirated streams or unwittingly stream unauthorized copies of copyrighted works."
Rather, it's focused on "commercial, for-profit streaming piracy services" that make money from illegally streaming copyrighted material.
Tillis said that this practice costs the US economy nearly $30 billion yearly.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:56 am
I was reading more about that. They said they would be going after the people making a profit off of streaming movies, not the guy in his apartment streaming the movie.

New York (CNN Business)Tucked away in the more than 5,000-page long Covid-19 stimulus bill is a new law that severely punishes streamers that pirate large amounts of copyrighted content.

You probably have nothing to worry about: The "Protecting Lawful Streaming Act," which was introduced earlier this month by Senator Thom Tillis, a Republican from North Carolina, doesn't target casual internet users. The law specifies that it doesn't apply to people who use illegal streaming services or "individuals who access pirated streams or unwittingly stream unauthorized copies of copyrighted works."
Rather, it's focused on "commercial, for-profit streaming piracy services" that make money from illegally streaming copyrighted material.
Tillis said that this practice costs the US economy nearly $30 billion yearly.
That is much better.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This is odd, but it has something to do with the Covid bill.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It sounds like there was a Covid bill attached to a spending bill. I think the spending bill is getting confused with being part of the Covid deal. There is a lot of money going to other countries. I am not sure I have a position on that yet.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:04 pm
I guess that could be considered a bribe. All those things they are asking him to do should probably just be done by him without having to be bribed. What are they getting in return for their money?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:21 pm
In2ition wrote:
I guess that could be considered a bribe. All those things they are asking him to do should probably just be done by him without having to be bribed. What are they getting in return for their money?
It sounds like they are getting him to lock down his own country and tank their own economy? To what end?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:09 pm
It sounds like there was a Covid bill attached to a spending bill. I think the spending bill is getting confused with being part of the Covid deal. There is a lot of money going to other countries. I am not sure I have a position on that yet.
There is a lot of BS in that bill and I have no idea why we would even have it in a Spending Bill. To me that's a lot of wasteful spending, imo. If Pakistan wants to have a gender program, why don't they use their own $10 million?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm one of the first here to harp on Donald Trump for many reasons. However, I have to give him kudos for pushing back on the latest Covid Stimulus Bill. $600 per person is a joke when we're ponying out millions to giant business and lobbyists with this latest round of "relief". I saw he's pushing for $2,000 per person, the same as many prominent Democrats. If we can get McConnell and other Republicans on board, this would be a much better round of Covid relief for Americans. I saw Bernie Sanders, Pelosi and others were praising Donald Trump for his push back for this current Covid Stimulus Bill.

I know my family with our now 1 year old daughter could definitely use as much as they are willing to give us these days. Things are definitely tight, especially being the sole source of income for us.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It seems that everyone that finally read that 5,600 page monstrosity realized that there was a lot of ridiculousness to it. Why did they only give them 2 hrs to read it before voting? Just trying to push a bunch of pork through? Get rid of the pork, get rid of special interests and do something that they said they would do for the American people that need it. It can't be that hard, can it?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The COVID relief bill is an example of American governmental dysfunction. They have a few power brokers in a smoke-filled room who iron out details, then they dump a bunch of pork into the bill and plop it on the desks of their caucuses without giving them any time to read the bill. Everyone is expected to fall in line. The bill is full of things that have no relation to its original purpose because the Congressmen know you can stuff things into a "COVID relief" bill and people will still vote for it.

I don't want to dive too far into the particulars of what pork is stuffed into this particular bill. But lots of spending bills have all kinds of crap like this stuffed into them because it's very hard to pass actual new spending legislation. So any bill like this that actually allocates financial resources contains a huge buildup of whatever unpopular crap has been waiting to be passed.

If we had a properly functional government we would not create or pass bills like this one.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think they needed a hand truck to carry this Bill. It's pretty outrageous. How can anyone really just sign off on it, without knowing what's in the Bill? Regardless of what side of the isle you are on, this has to change. It seems easily prone to money laundering and fraud with the American tax payers money.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:24 pm
Nodack wrote:
In2ition wrote:
It sounds like they are getting him to lock down his own country and tank their own economy? To what end?
I understand your position on this being a Republican. From my perspective they aren’t asking anything crazy that a great portion of the planet is already doing. I don’t believe they asked them to tank their economy. You guys just added that part. They did give them a pretty big sum of money for a smaller country. That should help some. From my and I believe their perspective this is about saving lives not them trying to be mean to people because it makes them feel powerful or bribing them for financial gain.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:27 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:24 pm
Nodack wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I understand your position on this being a Republican. From my perspective they aren’t asking anything crazy that a great portion of the planet is already doing. I don’t believe they asked them to tank their economy. You guys just added that part. They did give them a pretty big sum of money for a smaller country. That should help some. From my and I believe their perspective this is about saving lives not them trying to be mean to people because it makes them feel powerful or bribing them for financial gain.
I got that from the article attached to the tweet. Apparently, he said it and it can be tracked down. I don't speak the language it's in, so I certainly can't verify it. "• impose a police state • crash the economy" seem a little extreme.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Some front line workers are refusing to take the COVID vaccine due to concerns about its safety. Oof.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:01 am
Some front line workers are refusing to take the COVID vaccine due to concerns about its safety. Oof.

I'll take it!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve got a lot of coworkers that I’ve been trying to convince to take it. Actually talked 1 into it today and they are down getting it as we speak.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That works for me. I’ll be able to get it sooner.