Tech That Is New

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: Latest Military Hardware

Post by In2ition »

Idk if I've seen this here. Chinese missiles hid in cargo containers and activated by satellite.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/china-de ... er.458331/
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven’t seen that. That’s some sneaky stuff. Very smart. Who’s going to search every shipping container leaving China on a cargo ship?

Next they will find a way to fit tanks and vehicles inside them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Defiant X to be the next generation helicopter replacing the Blackhawk. It will travel at twice the speed of a Blackhawk and go twice as far, plus stealthier.

Futuristic 'Defiant X' in Running to Become Army's Future Long-Range Assault Helicopter
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... opter.html

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Those are pretty cool. I swear I've seen those recently somewhere...probably online.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:24 pm
Defiant X to be the next generation helicopter replacing the Blackhawk. It will travel at twice the speed of a Blackhawk and go twice as far, plus stealthier.

Futuristic 'Defiant X' in Running to Become Army's Future Long-Range Assault Helicopter
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... opter.html
That is really confusing, because a blackhawk can go 220mph, and the theoretical max speed of a helicopter is only ~250 due to flow separation boundary. I can't see how this would be able to go twice as fast. I guess it isn't really a helicopter (kind of like the Osprey). I want to see a real picture of it instead of these mock ups.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Normally in a helicopter the main rotor blade spins one direction creating lift but causing the helicopter to spin too. The rear rotor blade compensates for that and keeps the helicopter pointing forward without the spin. On this helicopter there are two main blades that are spinning opposite directions. It can remain stable without a rear rotor blade. The rear rotor blade on this helicopter is all about forward thrust like an airplane if I’m not mistaken.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

New AI Can Detect Emotion With Radio Waves
https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2 ... es/171863/
Picture: military interrogators are talking to a local man they suspect of helping to emplace roadside bombs. The man denies it, even as they show him photos of his purported accomplices. But an antenna in the interrogation room is detecting the man's heartbeat as he looks at the pictures. The data is fed to an AI, which concludes that his emotions do not match his words...

A UK research team is using radio waves to pick up subtle changes in heart rhythm and then, using an advanced AI called a neural network, understand what those signals mean — in other words, what the subject is feeling. It’s a breakthrough that one day might help, say, human-intelligence analysts in Afghanistan figure out who represents an insider threat.

The team ran their data through the deep neural network and found that their system accurately classified the subjects’ emotional state 71 percent of the time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ugh. The last thing we need in this world is AI predicting your emotional state to call you a liar during interrogations.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Ugh. The last thing we need in this world is AI predicting your emotional state to call you a liar during interrogations.
Haha, my kids told me a fun fact the other day that to beat a lie detector, you need to clench your butt cheeks. That was truly random.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’ll try that at my next police interrogation. :)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

SCIENTISTS ARE WEAVING HUMAN BRAIN CELLS INTO MICROCHIPS
https://futurism.com/the-byte/scientist ... microchips
Scientists from England’s Aston University are physically integrating human brain stem cells into AI microchips, according to a university press release. The goal, the scientists say, is to push the boundaries of what AI can do by borrowing some of the human brain’s processing capabilities.

“Our aim is to harness the unrivaled computing power of the human brain to dramatically increase the ability of computers to help us solve complex problems,” Aston University mathematician David Saad said in the release. “We believe this project has the potential to break through current limitations of processing power and energy consumption to bring about a paradigm shift in machine learning technology.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Didn't Musk put microchips into some monkeys? And I saw a headline about spinach sending email this week?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I didn’t see that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... videogames
Elon Musk says one of his startups has a monkey with wires going into its brain that’s able to play video games.

“He’s a happy monkey,” said Musk, the chief executive officer of electric-vehicle maker Tesla Inc. and backer of numerous other futuristic projects, including Neuralink Corp., a startup focused on developing a brain-computer interface. He said videos of the plugged-in simians would be released soon, perhaps in around a month.
https://www.axios.com/mit-spinach-email ... 4e894.html
Researchers at MIT have devised a way to allow chemical signals from spinach plants to transmit an email.

Why it matters: The system could help provide an early warning system for explosives or pollution, but really, we just want to know what the spinach are thinking.

How it works: In a study published this week in Nature Materials, researchers engineered the roots of spinach plants to contain microscopic nanosensors that are capable of detecting nitroaromatics — chemicals that are often found in explosives and man-made industrial chemicals.

When the nanosensors detect those compounds, they can send a signal to an infrared camera, which can shoot out an email alert.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Very interesting. I wonder what a spinach thinks.

I wonder how Musk knew the monkey was happy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Must thinks anyone serving him is happy, because musk is so awesome. I mean, who wouldn't want to serve an ego maniac.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:24 am
Nodack wrote:

Must thinks anyone serving him is happy, because musk is so awesome. I mean, who wouldn't want to serve an ego maniac.
I imagine that it would difficult to be humble while also being the richest person in the world.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:10 am
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:

I imagine that it would difficult to be humble while also being the richest person in the world.
I think he is back down to 2nd.

But he has been this way a long time. I don't know him personally, but I know several people that have worked directly for him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:10 am
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:

I think he is back down to 2nd.

But he has been this way a long time. I don't know him personally, but I know several people that have worked directly for him.
You have to be an ego maniac to name your son 'X Æ A-12'.

Indy

Post by Indy »

All I will say is that I won't be buying a Tesla anytime soon. Those factories are a mess.