The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: The RNC

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 am
Gingrich is irrelevant and has been for a long time. No one listens to him, takes orders from him, or listens to what he says.

If all Biden can do is replace the board with his cronies to vote out DeJoy(I could care less, btw), then how is that not nakedly abusing executive power, just like he's done in his first month?
It is amazing to me that you think Biden using exec orders is abusing power but didn't say a word about it when Trump was doing it. Well, not amazing I guess.

Why do you not care if the post office works? Millions of people rely on it to stay alive and well.
It is amazing to me that you think Trump used exec orders over 4 yrs was abusing power but don't say a word about it when Biden signed nearly as many in his first week. Well, not amazing I guess.

I don't care if DeJoy is voted out. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough. Hence the parentheses after DeJoy's name.
Trump issued 220 EOs in his presidency, including 12 AFTER the insurrection this year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love almost all of the Biden exec. orders. A few I'm ambivalent about or don't have a strong opinion on, such as the "Memorandum freezing approval of rules passed in final days of Trump presidency"; I don't know whether that one is good or bad. But here are some I love love love:
Executive order rejoining the Paris Agreement on climate change - (good; fuck anti-environment Republicans and their outright destruction of the planet)

Proclamation ending ban on U.S. entry from majority-Muslim countries - (good; fuck this racist ass Trump shit)

Executive order requiring mask-wearing on federal property - (good; masks save lives; fuck non-mask-wearers)

Executive order coordinating a government-wide Covid-19 response - (Trump catastrophically failed here)

Executive order revising immigration enforcement policies - (fuck the "kids in cages" policies)

Executive order incorporating undocumented immigrants into census - (good; fuck trying to change the census to not count people who by law must be counted)

Executive order refocusing on the climate crisis and canceling the Keystone XL permit - (good; climate change is an existential thread. Fuck the Keystone pipeline. I don't care about if a few jobs are lost, boo hoo, go get a job that isn't destroying the planet)

Executive order banning discrimination on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation - (good; fuck Trump's anti-LGBTQ bullshit, fuck bans on trans people in the military, yet another hateful GOP policy)

Executive order mandating ethics pledge for government appointees - (good; fuck these corrupt people getting bribed and becoming lobbyists 1 day after leaving the federal government. both parties have a problem here and it needs addressing)

Proclamation pulling funds from border wall - (good; F U C K the border wall)

Memorandum strengthening Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - (good; DACA recipients are good folks who should be given a pathway to citizenship. immigrants aren't the enemy, DACA people didn't do anything wrong)

Executive order promoting Covid-19 safety in domestic and international travel

Executive order expanding access to Covid-19 treatments

Executive order promoting data-driven response to Covid-19

Executive order strengthening public health supply chain

Executive order supporting the reopening and continuing operation of schools

Executive order assisting veterans with debt

Executive order guaranteeing unemployment insurance for workers who refuse work due to Covid-19

Executive order reversing transgender military ban - (good; fuck yet another hateful GOP policy, they hate LGBTQ so much)

Proclamation reinstating Covid-19 travel restrictions

Executive order to end reliance on private prisons

Executive order reaffirming commitment to tribal sovereignty

Executive order denouncing anti-Asian discrimination and xenophobia

Executive order initiating plan to combat climate change

Executive order re-establishing presidential council on science and technology

Executive order reinforcing Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act

Memorandum expanding access to reproductive health care - (good; I am extremely pro-abortion)
I mean, what a list, and that's just in the first month or so. I think he's doing a ton of great things. Largely he's undoing many of the worst horrible things Trump did that have hurt this country and the people in it. Just a wonderful start for Joe so far. Lots left to do, but I'm very proud of his first month.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... r-n1255564

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
Gingrich is irrelevant and has been for a long time. No one listens to him, takes orders from him, or listens to what he says.

If all Biden can do is replace the board with his cronies to vote out DeJoy(I could care less, btw), then how is that not nakedly abusing executive power, just like he's done in his first month?
If your take away from the article is that Gingrich is irrelevant, then well done for staying true to type by wildly missing the point.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 pm
In2ition wrote:

If your take away from the article is that Gingrich is irrelevant, then well done for staying true to type by wildly missing the point.
It was "but Gingrich takes the cake for me .. who thinks the way to “keep America from dying” is through extreme antagonism, false accusation, lying, and hypocrisy? ...Moron" which was your whole post, that did it. Yep, true to type. Lol

I didn't want to comment on the rest because it's tiresome saying you could say the same exact things about the left over and over and over. Also, by bring him up as a leading voice of conservatives today, it felt like your feel and knowledge of American politics was suspect. I didn't want to be rude to you though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Gingrich is irrelevant now, sure, but that's not the point. The article makes clear the genesis of the extreme partisan problem of today is much to do with him back in the 70's and 80's - did you even read it?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Rush Limbaugh died today after his battle with cancer. Any death is sad, and may he rest in peace. HuffPo has a good obit on him:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5fe4 ... mg00000004

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Another a**hole and, surprise surprise, he was a raging hypocrite as well .. sorry for his family and friends, sure, but the world is a better place today with him not in it.

I underestimated his impact on the Republican party so a timely incident all things considered in this thread.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No comment.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm
No comment.
Probably for the best. I’m sure he’s staying warm where he’s at.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Meh, glad he's gone. Some people we're better off without. Real Presidential Medal of Freedom stuff here in this thread.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah I don't shed a tear when racists die, especially when they use their platforms for championing divisiveness. There isn't anything more antithetical to what "American" should mean.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:18 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

It is amazing to me that you think Biden using exec orders is abusing power but didn't say a word about it when Trump was doing it. Well, not amazing I guess.

Why do you not care if the post office works? Millions of people rely on it to stay alive and well.
It is amazing to me that you think Trump used exec orders over 4 yrs was abusing power but don't say a word about it when Biden signed nearly as many in his first week. Well, not amazing I guess.

I don't care if DeJoy is voted out. Sorry if I did not make that clear enough. Hence the parentheses after DeJoy's name.
Trump issued 220 EOs in his presidency, including 12 AFTER the insurrection this year.
Ok, so at this rate Joe will sign over 1,400 after 4 yrs. Got it.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 pm
I love almost all of the Biden exec. orders. A few I'm ambivalent about or don't have a strong opinion on, such as the "Memorandum freezing approval of rules passed in final days of Trump presidency"; I don't know whether that one is good or bad. But here are some I love love love:
Executive order rejoining the Paris Agreement on climate change - (good; fuck anti-environment Republicans and their outright destruction of the planet)

Proclamation ending ban on U.S. entry from majority-Muslim countries - (good; fuck this racist ass Trump shit)

Executive order requiring mask-wearing on federal property - (good; masks save lives; fuck non-mask-wearers)

Executive order coordinating a government-wide Covid-19 response - (Trump catastrophically failed here)

Executive order revising immigration enforcement policies - (fuck the "kids in cages" policies)

Executive order incorporating undocumented immigrants into census - (good; fuck trying to change the census to not count people who by law must be counted)

Executive order refocusing on the climate crisis and canceling the Keystone XL permit - (good; climate change is an existential thread. Fuck the Keystone pipeline. I don't care about if a few jobs are lost, boo hoo, go get a job that isn't destroying the planet)

Executive order banning discrimination on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation - (good; fuck Trump's anti-LGBTQ bullshit, fuck bans on trans people in the military, yet another hateful GOP policy)

Executive order mandating ethics pledge for government appointees - (good; fuck these corrupt people getting bribed and becoming lobbyists 1 day after leaving the federal government. both parties have a problem here and it needs addressing)

Proclamation pulling funds from border wall - (good; F U C K the border wall)

Memorandum strengthening Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - (good; DACA recipients are good folks who should be given a pathway to citizenship. immigrants aren't the enemy, DACA people didn't do anything wrong)

Executive order promoting Covid-19 safety in domestic and international travel

Executive order expanding access to Covid-19 treatments

Executive order promoting data-driven response to Covid-19

Executive order strengthening public health supply chain

Executive order supporting the reopening and continuing operation of schools

Executive order assisting veterans with debt

Executive order guaranteeing unemployment insurance for workers who refuse work due to Covid-19

Executive order reversing transgender military ban - (good; fuck yet another hateful GOP policy, they hate LGBTQ so much)

Proclamation reinstating Covid-19 travel restrictions

Executive order to end reliance on private prisons

Executive order reaffirming commitment to tribal sovereignty

Executive order denouncing anti-Asian discrimination and xenophobia

Executive order initiating plan to combat climate change

Executive order re-establishing presidential council on science and technology

Executive order reinforcing Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act

Memorandum expanding access to reproductive health care - (good; I am extremely pro-abortion)
I mean, what a list, and that's just in the first month or so. I think he's doing a ton of great things. Largely he's undoing many of the worst horrible things Trump did that have hurt this country and the people in it. Just a wonderful start for Joe so far. Lots left to do, but I'm very proud of his first month.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... r-n1255564
Marty, did you add the comments on each, or was this just a copy & paste?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Gingrich is irrelevant now, sure, but that's not the point. The article makes clear the genesis of the extreme partisan problem of today is much to do with him back in the 70's and 80's - did you even read it?
On your suggestion, I went back and read it. I'm at work, and that was a long f'n article...lol. Not your fault. I'm a really slow reader, as I have a bit of dyslexia. I'm feeling a little guilty for taking the time out to read that whole thing, haha.

Perhaps it's true, that Newt was the genesis of partisan politics. It's not great right now, but I wouldn't say that Newt is driving the agenda or policy in the GOP, nor would I say that he's making politics better or worse. I just don't think that the people that are making it hostile and partisan are even thinking about Newt, feeling pride in him, or even gives him a nod of thanks or anything like that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:17 pm
Yeah I don't shed a tear when racists die, especially when they use their platforms for championing divisiveness. There isn't anything more antithetical to what "American" should mean.
He certainly had some very shitty things that came out of his pie hole, and I wouldn't give him a pass on any of that. It was dumb and f'd up at the time and not any better yrs later.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 pm
3rdside wrote:
On your suggestion, I went back and read it. I'm at work, and that was a long f'n article...lol. Not your fault. I'm a really slow reader, as I have a bit of dyslexia. I'm feeling a little guilty for taking the time out to read that whole thing, haha.

Perhaps it's true, that Newt was the genesis of partisan politics. It's not great right now, but I wouldn't say that Newt is driving the agenda or policy in the GOP, nor would I say that he's making politics better or worse. I just don't think that the people that are making it hostile and partisan are even thinking about Newt, feeling pride in him, or even gives him a nod of thanks or anything like that.
Maybe Newt wasn't the first; I am sure there were beta versions before him. But he was current GOP v1.0. McConnell is basically Newt v4.0.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:20 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Well that isn't how math works considering these things aren't linear.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:36 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:27 pm
3rdside wrote:

Maybe Newt wasn't the first; I am sure there were beta versions before him. But he was current GOP v1.0. McConnell is basically Newt v4.0.
You really think this? I think McConnell is happy to play as the underdog and loves the business as usual or just loves being an obstructionist. Either way, his days are numbered, imo.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:38 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:20 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

Well that isn't how math works considering these things aren't linear.
Yes, of course. I doubt he ever gets close to that number.

Btw, did any of you happen to watch the Town Hall he had yesterday?