Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:49 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:05 am

I think you are right with changing of positions on what works and what doesn't work. It's insane how many times we've seen positions change. Here's another example that just came out:
Do you really believe that a world-renowned expert in epidemiology said that vaccines wouldn't help stop the spread of a disease?
You know what, you are right. He said that we still needed to wear masks, even after the vaccine, but he didn't say that it wouldn't stop the spread of the virus.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/04/dr-fauc ... cine-.html
“Currently, we do not have enough data to be able to say with confidence that the vaccines can prevent transmission,” Fauci said in a tweet during an online Q&A session. “So even if vaccinated, you may still be able to spread the virus to vulnerable people.”
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

We are getting more data every week from the trials. As a scientist, he only knows what has been proven. It makes sense that we should be able to prevent the spread with an effective vaccine, but until we have shown that, we don't know.

By the way, I think it is this week that we are starting the first human resistance trials. So we are actively injecting live virus into people that have been vaccinated, and hoping like hell that they are immune. This will tell us a lot. All of the other trials are somewhat correlative--basically saying that people that got vaccinated came down with it much less frequently than people that got a placebo. But no direct evidence of exposure/infection that those people fought off.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 am
We are getting more data every week from the trials. As a scientist, he only knows what has been proven. It makes sense that we should be able to prevent the spread with an effective vaccine, but until we have shown that, we don't know.

By the way, I think it is this week that we are starting the first human resistance trials. So we are actively injecting live virus into people that have been vaccinated, and hoping like hell that they are immune. This will tell us a lot. All of the other trials are somewhat correlative--basically saying that people that got vaccinated came down with it much less frequently than people that got a placebo. But no direct evidence of exposure/infection that those people fought off.
Do we know if they've been vaccinated twice or just once? I'll be interested in how these trials go.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:49 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 am

Do we know if they've been vaccinated twice or just once? I'll be interested in how these trials go.
I believe they are fully vaccinated. I think it covers both Pfizer and Moderna. I need to talk to our doc following this to learn more.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:05 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 pm
I think we said a lot of mean things about Trump and Republicans in the last four years and you are here to return the favor to be honest.

If Cuomo is found guilty of something, then I hope he pays the appropriate price dictated by the law. If Cuomo was only following CDC/Trump guidance why would he be at fault? The ones brought back were by order sent to an all Covid area of the nursing homes. Then again most of those places aren’t designed to hold Covid patients. Then again what places other than hospitals are designed to gold Covid patients. When your hospitals are full and people need the hospital bed more than the elderly Covid patient who isn’t in as bad shape what do you do? A lot of people have been put in difficult situations by Covid and since the virus didn’t hand out a manual it has been hit and miss sometimes. Masks are good. Masks are bad. Social distancing is important. Social distancing doesn’t help at all. The disease is deadly. The disease is fake.

What stats did the CDC show about the disease? All Covid medical stats/info was blocked from going to the CDC by Trump. What did the CDC say at their press conferences on Covid. They weren’t allowed to speak with the press about Covid as per Trump again. All that has changed. The CDC is back in charge, not Trump. The new President is engaged with Covid, not ignoring it. He isn’t telling the Country the disease is nothing to worry about like Trump did. He is telling us to wear our masks, unlike Trump who mocked anyone with a mask.
Nodack, I'm not here to return the favor. It's not a Dem vs. Rep thing to me. There are some real POS Reps out there too and I will call them out and hope they get justice. Let's be honest, I'm one of the only ones that have come in here after this has been an echo chamber and circle jerk to Leftism, without any type of pushback. You would think with all the news that is passed on here, that there is only pious Dems and evil Reps. There was never any news on the crappy things that the Dems were doing, so you get a super skewed worldview. I hope you don't think I'm being mean to you in particular or anyone really. It's tough coming in here and it being 1 vs. 8 most of the time, and I avoided it for yrs.

I think you are right with changing of positions on what works and what doesn't work. It's insane how many times we've seen positions change. Here's another example that just came out:
I realized you are basically the only one brave enough to post here and I appreciate that. I get my info from mainstream media. I know the right considers all mainstream media fake. I don’t hold that view. You get your info from questionable sites that you might consider reputable but, 98% of the planet considers fake.

I think Fauci is doing the best job he can and is trying to protect as many Americans as possible. The right makes him out to be a blood thirsty killer out to destroy mankind and profit from it. That is ludicrous to me.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Press release regarding the introduction of the bill in question (House.gov). Two Democratic House reps from California, one of whom is an MD, and a Democratic Senator from Wisconsin.
https://bera.house.gov/media-center/pre ... -to-detect

PBS article on the COVID-19 bill regarding scaling up genomic sequencing (PBS.org)
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/cov ... -mutations

Oh, and in news surprising no one, that American Rescue Plan bill mentioned at the end?

Republicans Struggle to Derail Increasingly Popular Stimulus Package1 (NY Times)
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/19/us/p ... biden.html

"Republicans are struggling to persuade voters to oppose President Biden’s $1.9 trillion economic rescue plan, which enjoys strong, bipartisan support nationwide even as it is moving through Congress with just Democratic backing."

"Those attacks have followed weeks of varying Republican objections to the package, including warnings that it would do little to help the economy recover and grow, that it would add to the federal budget deficit and possibly unleash faster inflation, and that Democrats were violating Mr. Biden’s calls for “unity” by proceeding without bipartisan consensus.

The bolded part makes me wish it was legal to haymaker Republicans in the face who say this to me. Deficit explodes thanks to tax cuts for mostly the wealthy and corporations? Deafening silence. Democrats trying to help people? "Ahhh say, We've got to tighten our belts."

Can I tighten one around your neck until I'm certain you're no longer amongst the living!?

If you tell me the GOP isn't doing this so more people die, are rendered destitute, lose their homes and/or businesses, and so forth, all so they can use lay the blame at the Democrats' feet in 2022 and 2024, I will laugh in your face and call you naïve, at best. The GOP are a death cult of craven, hypocritical, and slavering ghouls and this is just more proof.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They'd rather see people die than let Biden and the Dems have a "win." They don't actually care about people if it doesn't look good for them politically.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Didn't Trump also ask for a $2K stimulus check to be sent out by Congress before he left? Where did that go? I thought that was the first thing that Joe was going to do. I thought that's what Warnock and Ossoff campaigned on with Biden in their runoff, no? Am I mistaken? I could have sworn that was the case, but maybe I got that from some fake news I read. ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, it has to be part of the budget reconciliation bill or McConnell will filibuster it again. So they have to jump through a lot of hoops to meet the requirements of falling under that bill, including getting budget oversight on-board.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:00 am
Yeah, it has to be part of the budget reconciliation bill or McConnell will filibuster it again. So they have to jump through a lot of hoops to meet the requirements of falling under that bill, including getting budget oversight on-board.
F Cocaine Mitch. Screw the turtle McConnell.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OK, but that doesn't mean you can just ignore him. He is the most powerful Republican in the country.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Fair enough.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How come the Democrats haven't yet passed a bunch of big bills that our party opposes and is actively obstructing and sabotaging and will unanimously vote against no matter how much compromise is attempted? Typical do-nothing Dems!!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Perhaps it can't get done because of McConnell, but having both majorities, you would think it would go through pretty easily, even without the approval of the minority leader in the Senate.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:43 am
Perhaps it can't get done because of McConnell, but having both majorities, you would think it would go through pretty easily, even without the approval of the minority leader in the Senate.
That isn't how it works if you have the option of a filibuster.

And it also means that the part with a slight majority has to cater to the few members of the party that are most closely aligned with the other party. So Joe Manchin holds as much power as 90% of the GOP senators right now.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:43 am
That isn't how it works if you have the option of a filibuster.

And it also means that the part with a slight majority has to cater to the few members of the party that are most closely aligned with the other party. So Joe Manchin holds as much power as 90% of the GOP senators right now.
Unless they are threatened by McConnell(which they most likely are), I would think that there are a number of Reps that would vote for it to go through, but I could be wrong.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Where was all of your vitriol for McConnell before he called out Trump's role in the insurrection? What made you re-think your perception of him?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The more you know and learn...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

This doesn't seem good at all. What kind of pork is in this bill? Can we just get something that's just for the people, instead of whoever's special interests and some type of payment or kickback? I'm not even putting blame on any particular side, it's done by both and it's ridiculous, imo.

The Non-Covid Spending Blowout
Most of the $1.9 trillion House bill has little to do with the virus. Here’s a breakdown.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-non-co ... 1613937485?

By The Editorial Board
Updated Feb. 21, 2021 5:12 pm ET

The Biden White House is pointing to polls showing that its $1.9 trillion spending bill is popular, and the press corps is cheering. Yet we wonder how much public support there’d be if Americans understood that most of the blowout is a list of longtime Democratic spending priorities flying under the false flag of Covid-19 relief.

Let’s dig into the various House committee bills to separate the Covid from the chaff. The Covid cash includes some $75 billion for vaccinations, treatments, testing and medical supplies. There’s also $19 billion for “public health,” primarily for state health departments and community health centers. One might even count the $6 billion to the Indian Health Service, or $4 billion for mental health.

The package also hands more to businesses and individuals most hit by lockdowns. That includes $7.2 billion more for the Paycheck Protection Program, $15 billion for economic injury disaster loans, $26 billion for restaurants, bars and live venues, and $15 billion in payroll support for airlines. The recipients of this taxpayer money will at least be required to prove economic harm, and in some cases repay loans.

Not so the recipients of the $413 billion in checks Democrats intend to send to households far and wide, at $1,400 per man, woman and dependent, that begins phasing out at $75,000 of individual income. The Congressional Budget Office says the bill’s unemployment provisions will increase deficits by $246 billion, and that its $400 a week in federal “enhanced” unemployment benefits through August “could increase the unemployment rate as well as decrease labor force participation.” So much for economic stimulus.

All told, this generous definition of Covid-related provisions tallies some $825 billion. The rest of the bill—more than $1 trillion—is a combination of bailouts for Democratic constituencies, expansions of progressive programs, pork, and unrelated policy changes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm
This doesn't seem good at all. What kind of pork is in this bill? Can we just get something that's just for the people, instead of whoever's special interests and some type of payment or kickback? I'm not even putting blame on any particular side, it's done by both and it's ridiculous, imo.
We can't, because the only way to avoid a GOP senator from filibustering the bill is to do it through Reconciliation. That means it has to be the entire spending bill, not just a one-off to help people. So it has all the pork in it that every congressman and senator has fought for in their state or from there lobbyists or for their own self-interest. It is awful. But it is also the sausage making process needed to get any spending bill to pass into a law.