2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
AmareIsGod

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by AmareIsGod »

Look it up In2ition. You seem to have no issues at all knowing everything catered to the right wing agenda at an almost real time clip. No idea how the hell you're oblivious to the Georgia voter suppression laws that have been making waves in the news.

I hate the baiting with leading questions when you know what the hell is usually going on. It's like you get off listening to the liberal "circle jerk" around here and like to egg us on about obvious news to hear us rant and rave.

You know damn well what's going on in Georgia.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:44 pm
Look it up In2ition. You seem to have no issues at all knowing everything catered to the right wing agenda at an almost real time clip. No idea how the hell you're oblivious to the Georgia voter suppression laws that have been making waves in the news.

I hate the baiting with leading questions when you know what the hell is usually going on. It's like you get off listening to the liberal "circle jerk" around here and like to egg us on about obvious news to hear us rant and rave.

I could look it up, but wanted to hear yours and others view of it and if you knew what the reason was for it. I agree that it seems off, and perhaps I will research it myself. You all seem to have much more knowledge of the whole thing, so I certainly didn't think asking was going to be such a problem or elicit a negative emotional response. If I thought that, I wouldn't have even bothered to ask. Btw, I DON'T damn well know what's entirely going on in Georgia. If you think headlines and misleading talking points that are told to everyone and are told here tell the entire story, then I apologize, since I do know those.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:43 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:

I could look it up, but wanted to hear yours and others view of it and if you knew what the reason was for it. I agree that it seems off, and perhaps I will research it myself. You all seem to have much more knowledge of the whole thing, so I certainly didn't think asking was going to be such a problem or elicit a negative emotional response. If I thought that, I wouldn't have even bothered to ask. Btw, I DON'T damn well know what's entirely going on in Georgia. If you think headlines and misleading talking points that are told to everyone and are told here tell the entire story, then I apologize, since I do know those.
Now that you've had some time to listen to our opinions and likely read up on it, what's your take, other than what's being shared here and elsewhere being misleading talking points and misleading headlines? Is there a liberal left wing agenda going on here vs the reality in Georgia that's being overlooked by what's being told here by the rest of us, devoid of the entire story?

Earlier when you replied: "Please clarify, what is this about?"...

Are you joking or just a blatant head in the sand idiot some days? "Wait, Georgia? There's something going on newsworthy and related to politics? What? Do share."

Edit: forget it. I must be the only person here that believes you feign ignorance all the time in political discussions just to hear us share an opinion you already know is felt widely by non GOP folks. It's like you get off on trying to push our buttons by playing an idiot to hear us say what you expect us to say. I'm going right along with it as we speak and I'm not going to play along anymore with your stupid games. You ask a lot of questions but conveniently avoid giving your own opinion on things, other than headlines and Tweets from ultra conservative and conspiracy laden sources.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:41 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Now that you've had some time to listen to our opinions and likely read up on it, what's your take, other than what's being shared here and elsewhere being misleading talking points and misleading headlines? Is there a liberal left wing agenda going on here vs the reality in Georgia that's being overlooked by what's being told here by the rest of us, devoid of the entire story?

Edit: forget it. I must be the only person here that believes you feign ignorance all the time in political discussions just to hear us share an opinion you already know is felt widely by non GOP folks. It's like you get off on trying to push our buttons by playing an idiot to hear us say what you expect us to say. I'm going right along with it as we speak and I'm not going to play along anymore with your stupid games.

Are you joking or just a blatant head in the sand idiot some days?
I'm not playing innocent. I honestly haven’t had time to check it out. I am painting my house and playing taxi fo my kids all day and only got a short break to even see if something is posted. When I asked for clarification it was to make sure I didn't misunderstand what was being said, so I didn't respond incorrectly. I may not have the same view points or world view as you do, but I also don't want to be a dick about things either. I know I'm outnumbered on a lot of topics. Best to be as respectful as I can, as they can sometimes be touchy subjects. There are a number of things I could bring up or re-address, but I chose to not.

BTW, I'm currently upset with the GOP, and don't really consider myself apart of it. I would consider my views conservative, but not particularly GOP.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:13 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:41 pm
In2ition wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Edit: forget it. I must be the only person here that believes you feign ignorance all the time in political discussions just to hear us share an opinion you already know is felt widely by non GOP folks. It's like you get off on trying to push our buttons by playing an idiot to hear us say what you expect us to say. I'm going right along with it as we speak and I'm not going to play along anymore with your stupid games.

Are you joking or just a blatant head in the sand idiot some days?
I'm not playing innocent. I honestly haven’t had time to check it out. I am painting my house and playing taxi fo my kids all day and only got a short break to even see if something is posted. When I asked for clarification it was to make sure I didn't misunderstand what was being said, so I didn't respond incorrectly. I may not have the same view points or world view as you do, but I also don't want to be a dick about things either. I know I'm outnumbered on a lot of topics. Best to be as respectful as I can, as they can sometimes be touchy subjects. There are a number of things I could bring up or re-address, but I chose to not.

BTW, I'm currently upset with the GOP, and don't really consider myself apart of it. I would consider my views conservative, but not particularly GOP.
Fair. Apologies. I've just been dealing with someone I'm very close to playing the bait game with questions lately and I've been really fed up with it. Every question I answer being met with another question when they know the answers to every question being asked. I know life can get in the way of news and things going on. In which case, it's good you're asking us about the issues to see what's going on.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ok, I finally looked it up to find out about the water and the singing in line. I couldn't find anything about singing in line at all. Perhaps, I didn't quite search correctly, idk.

As far as the water. I know that my wife volunteered at the polls and handed out water and granola bars here in AZ. I know they had rules that she had to abide by with distance from the lines and polls and not use it to convince people to vote for a specific cause or candidate. It sounds similar in this case too. I'm still not sure how this is "voter suppression" or how it's targeting any group.

https://cnsnews.com/article/national/su ... g-its-self

The law says:

No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector [a voter], nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:

(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;

(2) Within any polling place; or

(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.

A footnote on page 71 of the bill says: "This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer ... from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote."

The provision is intended to prevent political partisans from approaching waiting voters, handing them water, or food, or gifts, or whatever -- then urging them to vote for so-and-so. That is called voter solicitation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I'm still not sure how this is "voter suppression" or how it's targeting any group.
When black people in GA stand in line 9 times a long as white people to vote, this is voter suppression. The law doesn't make it a crime to solicit/bribe for votes. That is already a crime everywhere. It specifically makes it a crime to help people stand in line longer to cast their vote.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:05 pm
I'm still not sure how this is "voter suppression" or how it's targeting any group.
When black people in GA stand in line 9 times a long as white people to vote, this is voter suppression. The law doesn't make it a crime to solicit/bribe for votes. That is already a crime everywhere. It specifically makes it a crime to help people stand in line longer to cast their vote.
They also might be more apt to sing while waiting in those long lines. Yet another weak excuse to suppress their vote.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
I thought the article had Kemp addressing that, and he said that is one of the things that they need to address. It shouldn't be that anyone should be standing in a long line. Also, it doesn't make it a crime to help people stand in line longer. Anyone can bring their own water, or go get the water that will be available at the allowed distance away.
Last edited by In2ition on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm
Indy wrote:
They also might be more apt to sing while waiting in those long lines. Yet another weak excuse to suppress their vote.
Idk where this came from. Can you point out where singing has been banned?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 pm
Indy wrote:
I thought the article had Kemp addressing that, and he said that is one of the things that they need to address. It shouldn't be that anyone should be standing in a long line. Also, it doesn't make it a crime to help people stand in line longer. Anyone can bring their own water, or go get the water that will be available at the allowed distance away.
First they needed to prevent people from handing out food/water to those waiting for hours in line to vote, and to take away Sunday voting which was a staple of Black voters, and remove the Secretary of State as the arbiter of running free and fair elections and give it to the state representatives that tried to overturn the last one. But after they take those things away, sure, they will get right now allowing more polling stations for predominantly Black locations.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 pm
Indy wrote:
First they needed to prevent people from handing out food/water to those waiting for hours in line to vote, and to take away Sunday voting which was a staple of Black voters, and remove the Secretary of State as the arbiter of running free and fair elections and give it to the state representatives that tried to overturn the last one. But after they take those things away, sure, they will get right now allowing more polling stations for predominantly Black locations.
Is early voting on Sunday a staple everywhere? I heard that it's never been available on Sunday in Mississippi. I'm not sure how many states have early voting on Sunday available. We were originally talking about food & water to those in line and someone said that they prohibited singing in line, but I already thought I addressed those.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why are you talking about Mississippi?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is just moving the goalposts. Yeah, it sucks that they can't give people water, but that isn't the real point. The point is that there are lots and lots of these provisions that are making it explicitly harder to vote, disproportionately for people of color, and that they seem to serve no benefit otherwise. I don't think voting on Sunday has anything to do with fraud. People having water doesn't have anything to do with fraud. Having more polling places doesn't affect fraud. Being allowed to vote early for more days isn't fraud. Yet the GOP snuffs all these things out because they believe more voting hurts them.

The other side of this is that they're maneuvering to change the power structure that oversees elections. They voted to take away the election certifying authority from the State Sec of State and into the hands of the (GOP-controlled) state legislature, so that next time Trumpy wants them to overturn the vote, they will be able to do it. We may quite literally be looking at a 2024 election where Trump (or his successor) succeeds where Trump in 2020 failed, in asking swing states to simply disregard the people and give him their electoral votes. And unless HR-1 or a similar law passes, there may not be any way to stop it.

I'd love to hear a Republican defend all of this as being in some way the right thing to do. But instead I guess we'll argue about giving voters water.

Indy

Post by Indy »

None of this has to do with fraud, because there is no evidence of voting fraud that this would prevent. The very few cases of voter fraud that exist are already covered by laws on the books (and are enforced). This is directed efforts to prevent people from voting.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk if you are going to get the desired answers, since you've already formed your own conclusions.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You're so smug with your knowledge and facts, Indy!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I guess I should stop reading facts and only read innuendo and lies.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I love both of you guys. It's all good.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:31 am
I love both of you guys. It's all good.
You're a good sport, in2. I talk a lot of trash but it's good to have interesting discussions here about these topics with everybody.