Game Day: Bulls (19-26) @ Suns (32-14), Wed 3/31/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Game Day: Bulls (19-26) @ Suns (32-14), Wed 3/31/21

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 pm
We’re outshooting them 58% to 42% and 46% to 35% on 3s but only up 4..rebounds killing us
Outrebounded 50-32
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Such a frustrating win

Book played great though

Split T

Post by Split T »

How did Ayton play 32 minutes and get 4 rebounds? He had a couple great defensive possessions on Vuc in the end, so props for that, but that’s pretty unacceptable on the glass.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Great game for Booker.
Chicago through the Suns around like ragdolls on the boards, though.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Ayton, Johnson and Bridges all looked like they woke up 5 minutes before gametime.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 pm
How did Ayton play 32 minutes and get 4 rebounds? He had a couple great defensive possessions on Vuc in the end, so props for that, but that’s pretty unacceptable on the glass.
He was outstanding on defense most of the game, especially on Vuc, much better than in Orlando, fronting him and denying him the ball, etc. Just didn’t get the rebounds tonight for some reason.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:40 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 pm
Suns have two (2) offensive rebounds...
We can only get them while lying on our backs apparently.
And falling into our laps.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I’ll take the win on the 2nd night of a back to back when the Bulls fought valiantly without their star player. Paul did Paul things down the stretch to get the win.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

A win is a win, is a win. Now for Godzilla vs Kong.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bulls look much improved. When they get Lavine back they'll be frisky in the East. Classic team that the #2 or #3 seed won't want to play. I like Vuc, and Thad Young was more lively than I'd remembered. Valentine also seemed like he hit a million shots, though now that I check the box score he was only 8-18.

Book was awesome, of course. Didn't know he had 45 until after the game when I checked the stats. I thought Chris Paul had a pretty good game other than some missed FTs. I thought Saric played great; he had a lot of really nice plays inside, savvy moves, good hustle plays, tipped balls, rebounds; ended up with 16 and 5. I also thought Cam Payne gave us some nice minutes. His floater was money tonight.

Ayton played some good defense on Vucevic, but his numbers were pretty disappointing: 10 points and only 4 rebounds. To be fair, that's because Chicago has loaded up with a ton of size and had tons of guys banging and crashing the boards. I also worry about how reliant our late-game offense is on Booker. It was nice to see Ayton and Paul make some plays down the stretch to help secure the win so it wasn't just the Booker 1-on-5 show.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

random observations...

Crowder had a solid game, 10 pts. and 4 blocks.

Good to see Cam hit a couple of threes, but I counted at least three times where he had a rebound ripped out of his hands.

Not understanding why Monty had two 6 ft. guards (Paul and Carter) in at the same time against the Bulls size.
Carter was active, but didn't really do much of anything substantial.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Finished the month of March 11-3, after a 12-3 February. If this is a fluke, it's at least one with some staying power.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:14 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:17 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:43 am
I feel like Paul could use a game or two off.
He'll have plenty of time for that with his hamstring injury in the playoffs.
And you know what? I probably don't say something like that if you don't have that avatar. So before anybody blames me for jinxing the team, you can go through 'Bazz first.
I’m at a bit of a loss for what to put as my avatar now that this franchise is no longer a porta potty fire.
You can photoshop a James Jones jersey on the fire fighter. Or a Chris Paul jersey. These are all free ideas.
Went a slightly different direction, but credit to you for the inspiration.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:22 pm
Bulls look much improved. When they get Lavine back they'll be frisky in the East. Classic team that the #2 or #3 seed won't want to play. I like Vuc, and Thad Young was more lively than I'd remembered. Valentine also seemed like he hit a million shots, though now that I check the box score he was only 8-18.

Book was awesome, of course. Didn't know he had 45 until after the game when I checked the stats. I thought Chris Paul had a pretty good game other than some missed FTs. I thought Saric played great; he had a lot of really nice plays inside, savvy moves, good hustle plays, tipped balls, rebounds; ended up with 16 and 5. I also thought Cam Payne gave us some nice minutes. His floater was money tonight.

Ayton played some good defense on Vucevic, but his numbers were pretty disappointing: 10 points and only 4 rebounds. To be fair, that's because Chicago has loaded up with a ton of size and had tons of guys banging and crashing the boards. I also worry about how reliant our late-game offense is on Booker. It was nice to see Ayton and Paul make some plays down the stretch to help secure the win so it wasn't just the Booker 1-on-5 show.
Yeah - at one point, they ran out Vuc, Theis, Markkanen, Williams and Sato. That's 2 centers, 2 power forwards and a tall PG. And it seemed like their strategy was to pull Ayton out of the paint with Vuc and then just kill us on the boards. We survived tonight, but it's a viable strategy against us. The Lakers can do something similar with much better players. This is why I want(ed) one more big. Or for Smith not to suck.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last edited by ShelC on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:01 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:22 pm

Yeah - at one point, they ran out Vuc, Theis, Markkanen, Williams and Sato. That's 2 centers, 2 power forwards and a tall PG. And it seemed like their strategy was to pull Ayton out of the paint with Vuc and then just kill us on the boards. We survived tonight, but it's a viable strategy against us. The Lakers can do something similar with much better players. This is why I want(ed) one more big. Or for Smith not to suck.
They have a lot of nice players on that roster and that bigger lineup was pretty intriguing. We won't be able to give up that kind of rebounding edge to better teams and expect to win. I thought Patrick Williams was playing really good defense on Book, Book was just better. In general, Book's been locked in every game. He's not even flashy when he does it, which is why he's maybe slept on a bit. He's just a stone cold assassin.

Our guys battled tho and DA's 4 boards is misleading. I thought he played a tough game and they were pulling him away from the paint. Monty was getting into him a bit after a TO, maybe because DA was complaining about a non-call and didn't get back on defense? Not sure if anyone else caught that.

CP came thru late knocking down his middy. He really lays back the first 3qtrs, hardly looking at the basket lately until the 2nd half of games. Payne and Saric played great. Really want to see Payne stay aggressive on offense and play downhill. When those two are on, we're a tough 7. Quiet games from Bridges and Cam, think they struggled with the size and physicality of the Bulls.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

This was the second recent game (w/ Charlotte) where the pass out of the double team from Booker to Bridges went to where Bridges was but Bridges then cuts. Not sure if Bridges is told to stay put with the big double team or not, but it is clear that Booker can't see over/around the double team and passes to a spot. Both times Booker yelled at Bridges, so perhaps he is not supposed to cut in that scenario? Makes for an ugly TO and points the other way.

Indy

Post by Indy »

azsportsfan wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 am
This was the second recent game (w/ Charlotte) where the pass out of the double team from Booker to Bridges went to where Bridges was but Bridges then cuts. Not sure if Bridges is told to stay put with the big double team or not, but it is clear that Booker can't see over/around the double team and passes to a spot. Both times Booker yelled at Bridges, so perhaps he is not supposed to cut in that scenario? Makes for an ugly TO and points the other way.
Maybe, but half of what Bridges does on offense is cut towards the basket.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Weird game for Ayton IMO. Like when I was watching him he looked like he was hustling more than I'm used to seeing. I felt he was doing good things on offense. He make some stellar defensive plays but his stats were pretty shitty. But 10 points and 4 rebounds aint shit so I don't really know how to evaluate his performance.

Hopefully James recognizes that we need some more size out there and snags another rebounder. Take Frank's spot.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."