Game Day: Kings (22-33) @ Suns (39-15), Thurs 4/15/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Furlanfufi

Re: Game Day: Kings (22-33) @ Suns (39-15), Thurs 4/15/21

Post by Furlanfufi »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:36 am
I figured that Ayton would start getting things together at some point -- unlike a bunch of other folks here who were willing to trade him away for a pu-pu platter. I'm not doing this to say "I told you so" but rather to urge some patience the next time around.

I still don't think he's anywhere close to achieving his potential. Right now, he's like a 7-1 Shawn Marion -- his points are coming off of assisted lobs, he's not drawing all that much contact, and he's doing a lot of scoring off of offensive rebounding (including off his own misses). But he could be all of this plus more. Maybe he won't ever be Olajuwon but he moves and looks awfully like a Patrick Ewing. And I don't think we've seen the last of his down days just yet. We'll probably see him revert and go back and forth a while.

But a 7-1 Shawn Marion is already a pretty damned good player to have on your team.
I just hope the Ewing theory doesn't apply for Ayton's career

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am
virtual9mm wrote:
I figured that Ayton would start getting things together at some point -- unlike a bunch of other folks here who were willing to trade him away for a pu-pu platter. I'm not doing this to say "I told you so" but rather to urge some patience the next time around.

I still don't think he's anywhere close to achieving his potential. Right now, he's like a 7-1 Shawn Marion -- his points are coming off of assisted lobs, he's not drawing all that much contact, and he's doing a lot of scoring off of offensive rebounding (including off his own misses). But he could be all of this plus more. Maybe he won't ever be Olajuwon but he moves and looks awfully like a Patrick Ewing. And I don't think we've seen the last of his down days just yet. We'll probably see him revert and go back and forth a while.

But a 7-1 Shawn Marion is already a pretty damned good player to have on your team.
What's that?
"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

jonh wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:08 am
Honestly, seeing Ayton do well over the last few games has hit me in the feels--particularly watching last night in the 4th, and in the interviews after the game. I feel a little like I'm watching a younger sibling finally start to play with confidence.
I haven't really watched the suns much this year but ayton in the 4th last night is what we have been looking out of him. I'm excited for the postseason.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:25 am
Furlanfufi wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

What's that?
https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?p ... ns/010509a

Indy

Post by Indy »

pretty sure Ayton is 6-11, not 7-1. And he doesn't have the pop of Shawn. He is stronger, though. And has better touch around the rim.

But comparisons don't matter much to me, here. If Ayton keeps impacting games the way he has since his kid was born, I think it is great for our team and will serve us well in the playoffs. And that is all that matters.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 am
Superbone wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

What's that?
It's been nothing like that. When Ayton is better, the Suns are better.
"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 am
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

What's that?
It's been nothing like that. When Ayton is better, the Suns are better.
Yeah, but I mean I hope we have more succes than the Ewing's Knicks also

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

What's that?
"Drew Bledsoe: Every Patriots fan is nodding right now."

Wow, written just before Tom Brady took over and led them to their first championship. Incredible.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

jonh

Post by jonh »

I loved Simmons early work. I would just look for his takes in my ESPN magazine.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, page 2 Simmons was the best Simmons