Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:41 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 am
Sad to see Kelly injured. I really liked him while he was here, and I think people can definitely disagree on the impact he had on the court, but I don't think anyone can deny that he and Rubio played key roles in fostering a culture change around here that set the stage for this year.
Yeah, that's a bummer about Oubre. I have mixed feelings seeing "Valley" all over the court and jerseys after he kind of popularized the phrasing of "Valley Boyz" and then we let him go. I don't think we did anything wrong, but I at least want him to be doing well on his new team. He's had a really rough season. Rubio, too. I feel bad that we sent away two of our core guys from last year and now they're both having a miserable time.
We are still missing his athleticism. We don't have anyone in our front court that can make an offensive play with their athleticism.
Yes, I really enjoyed his tenure here and liked the guy. He did start the Valley Boyz culture which has taken off from there. I will always wonder what impact him sitting out the bubble had on his future. Or maybe Jones already knew he was going in a different direction and the decision was made together. Who knows?
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:41 am
Elsewhere tonight in the league:
Celtics came back tonight from down 30 in the 2nd half to beat the Spurs in OT.
You buried the lead lede:

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:15 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:13 pm
So, in the bubble he opted for been cautious, but now he tried to play through the injury? It looks like the Basketball gods balanced it out and took their pound of flesh.
Still horrible to see.
Thank you.

I think Oubre was tremendous for the Suns and don't have anything against him. It sucks that this is now three years in a row that he won't be able to finish the season.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:00 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:13 pm
So, in the bubble he opted for been cautious, but now he tried to play through the injury? It looks like the Basketball gods balanced it out and took their pound of flesh.
Continued to be injury prone. Hasn’t finished a season in 3 years now
Ha, beat me to it, Saucey. I should have kept reading.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
We are still missing his athleticism. We don't have anyone in our front court that can make an offensive play with their athleticism.
Yep.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
You buried the lead:

lede

I was 40 before I figured this out. ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

:shock:

And I should know better after the journalism class I took.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:33 pm
Indy wrote:
Yep.
I do agree.

I would like someone with his athleticism who doesn’t require his usage rate.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:45 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You buried the lead:

lede

I just learned it right now! Never knew that before. Wow.
lede (/lēd/)
noun
the opening sentence or paragraph of a news article, summarizing the most important aspects of the story.
"the lede has been rewritten and the headline changed"
As far as Tatum is concerned. Hard to believe that we were one pick away from having the opportunity to take him and yet there's a chance McD wouldn't have.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:16 pm
Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 am
Sad to see Kelly injured. I really liked him while he was here, and I think people can definitely disagree on the impact he had on the court, but I don't think anyone can deny that he and Rubio played key roles in fostering a culture change around here that set the stage for this year.
Yeah, that's a bummer about Oubre. I have mixed feelings seeing "Valley" all over the court and jerseys after he kind of popularized the phrasing of "Valley Boyz" and then we let him go. I don't think we did anything wrong, but I at least want him to be doing well on his new team. He's had a really rough season. Rubio, too. I feel bad that we sent away two of our core guys from last year and now they're both having a miserable time.
Yes, I really enjoyed his tenure here and liked the guy. He did start the Valley Boyz culture which has taken off from there. I will always wonder what impact him sitting out the bubble had on his future. Or maybe Jones already knew he was going in a different direction and the decision was made together. Who knows?
I think Jones saw how well they moved the ball in the bubble without him and it sealed his fate with a logjam at his position and the $$ and minutes he was expecting.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it was more his unwillingness to play in the bubble. I get needing to be healthy first, but to be cleared to practice/play and staying out so you can 'get your head right' should be reserved for guys that are going through something like KAT this year. I don't claim to know any diagnosis about Kelly last year, but it just seemed like he was saying he wanted to get his mind right, not that he needed therapy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I always interpreted it is "not screw up my next contract by playing too early after an injury". Instead it was screwed up by going to the Warriors where everyone saw his limitations.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:02 pm
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You buried the lead:
lede

lede (/lēd/)
noun
the opening sentence or paragraph of a news article, summarizing the most important aspects of the story.
And because I'm a nerd for these things, here's some more history on this spelling. It did come from 'lead' but was a way to differentiate it's meaning from a different type of 'lead' (and pronunciation; rhymes with dead) which is the strip of metal that would separate lines of type. 'lede' didn't enter Merriam-Webster until 2008.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ersus-lead
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:17 pm
I think it was more his unwillingness to play in the bubble. I get needing to be healthy first, but to be cleared to practice/play and staying out so you can 'get your head right' should be reserved for guys that are going through something like KAT this year. I don't claim to know any diagnosis about Kelly last year, but it just seemed like he was saying he wanted to get his mind right, not that he needed therapy.
He was cleared to play, and I recall him saying something like that too. Of course I wouldn’t ask for a kindly or gruesome season ending injury for no one, friend or opponent, and I think of Brandon Roy every time a player returns prematurely, but this case doesn’t look to be Roy-like, and as the team were looking to go 8-0, he refused to be part of that effort, not even after it looks possible to pull it off.

He was making waves on the Warriors this year, but mostly in a negative way, he was again looking for himself, and sooner or later that mentality catch up on you on Team Sporting. I mostly liked the guy as a Sun, but totally get Saucy about how high maintenance Oubre looks to be, so I was glad to skip his contract year. His behavior on GS and and on the bubble shows that he wouldn’t play team ball neither accept a secundary role or a pay cut. He is a great quasar on a mediocre team, but he craves the spotlight, so he would have adjusted badly to this year’s Suns, specially to Chris Paul’s ways of leadership.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You buried the lead:

lede

lede (/lēd/)
noun
As far as Tatum is concerned. Hard to believe that we were one pick away from having the opportunity to take him and yet there's a chance McD wouldn't have.
If McD hadn’t gotten Jackson to cancel his workout with Boston, we might have ended up with Tatum.

Last edited by JeremyG on Sun May 02, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's a good point that his sitting out the bubble made him expendable to us fans as well. I remember when he signed the two year contract. I was SO hoping that we would be able to resign him and would have been devastated if we hadn't. But after the bubble, I wasn't as concerned about keeping him. When he was dealt as part of the Chris Paul deal, that seemed like a no-brainer to me at the time.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I took "getting his head right" as going to the hairdresser and getting his tips frosted.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:01 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You buried the lead:

lede

lede (/lēd/)
noun
If McD hadn’t gotten Jackson to cancel his workout with Boston, we might have ended up with Tatum.

Maybe. I’m guessing though still not likely. And ouch, that Sacramento burn at the end!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sheesh

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ouch. Those injuries are a good reminder that we would be wise to rest our guys here and there when we can. Let's use some of our bench depth to give guys like Paul and Booker a bit of a breather to end the season.