Suns Final 16 Regular Season Games of the 20-21 Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Suns Final 16 Regular Season Games of the 20-21 Season

Post by bajanguy008 »

I've chosen not to comment here because the seeding not been a big deal for me. I get why some will be excited by the thought that we could have possibly been #1 but I just wanted us to be playing our best at the right time. "FF" made a comment in the Game Day that we might have peaked too early which I'm not 100% sure but it isn't far-fetched to believe.

I said a few games back that I was getting a lil tired playing depleted teams and wanted us to get more barometer games going into the playoffs. Well we haven't passed many tests recently and seems like the Play-In teams all had big wins to start the week. Since we been struggling last few years I have hoped our young squad would develop how the Nuggets had, add a couple solid vets (Millsap) to Jokic n Murray and team takes off. I just checked and we kinda literally doing the same thing, couple seasons ago they were the #2 seed with Millsap really the only one with playoff experience. They got taken to 7 by the Spurs and then lost to the Blazers next round.

I'm naturally an underdog kinda guy and ideally u want your first experience for young team as that narrative. "The upstart Suns #6 or #5 take on whoever" and we playing with house money trying to steal one of the first two games on the road with no pressure. My concern has been for a while now, we getting the #1 or #2 seed and Phx is a buzz, Sarver probably gonna increase the fans to 10,000 or whatever and for a team never in that situation. The longer that game stays close, all the pressure is on us to not lose home court advantage fresh out the gate and obviously going down 0-1 game 2 would be toooouugggh especially playing a more experienced team.

So yea, I might be seen as one of the "Kool-Aid" take guys on the board :oops: but I've been nervous about the above scenario for a while and this last week isn't helping. Really hoped we would be in a better rhythm but solid games against POR n SA can still change the vibe quickly
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

pickle

Post by pickle »

I avoid all the games that we lose so as to not damage my already fragile psyche any further.

Having said that, I do feel like, despite having great injury luck with our key guys, that we are suffering from injury woes to our secondary players that is affecting our play. That coupled with our key guys possibly being a little worn out and the teams we face playing tougher because they are more desperate. None of this is an excuse for why we lost, which hurts, but I'm holding out some optimism that if we can get our role players all back to health that we can still be reasonably competitive.

I think Cam Johnson's wrist is really bothering him, Crowder and Payne are both getting back to full speed, and Saric just doesn't look quite right. We are such a well oiled machine, but the flip side is that we really do depend on guys 5-9 to put up a certain amount of production each night. When one or two of them falter the margin is even thinner than usual, and at this late stage in the season it's very difficult for the starters to pick up the slack.

The Lakers worry me though. Their front court depth is going to be a bitch to deal with. If we get them in the first round and somehow win, we'd probably still be totally battered and depleted. I think if things break right there's a sliver of chance that this team could get to the finals, at which point anything can happen, but I'm not holding out any hope...

I've been so heavily conditioned to expect failure that I can't even enjoy this amazing season.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

pickle wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:10 pm
I've been so heavily conditioned to expect failure that I can't even enjoy this amazing season.
That’s the thing, I know it’s natural to ask for more, to hope for the ultimate goal.

But that way, we stop enjoying the road, I can not ask this team for any more, they have overpassed the wildest expectations I could have put on them, and perhaps any of us. That’s enough for me, they already delivered. And of course now I want more, but that’s on me, not on them to go undefeated and winning for double digits every playoff game and then turn water into wine.

And of course I’m pretty sure they have adjusted their goals time and time again, and that’s great, otherwise they would have stayed on the middle of the pack, but there’s no shame on anything they accomplish from now on. Actually, from half a season ago, because it was a great achievement to keep their pace as many were predicting they will falter. We have many flaws, but we were not built as a contender this year, but as a team looking to make strides, and oh boy we did.

It is a great season and hopefully we keep rising again against odds, no matter the Lakers or whatever. There is not failure this year on my eyes, because overachievers may fall short, but no fail.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 pm
pickle wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:10 pm
That’s the thing, I know it’s natural to ask for more, to hope for the ultimate goal.

But that way, we stop enjoying the road, I can not ask this team for any more, they have overpassed the wildest expectations I could have put on them, and perhaps any of us. That’s enough for me, they already delivered. And of course now I want more, but that’s on me, not on them to go undefeated and winning for double digits every playoff game and then turn water into wine.

And of course I’m pretty sure they have adjusted their goals time and time again, and that’s great, otherwise they would have stayed on the middle of the pack, but there’s no shame on anything they accomplish from now on. Actually, from half a season ago, because it was a great achievement to keep their pace as many were predicting they will falter. We have many flaws, but we were not built as a contender this year, but as a team looking to make strides, and oh boy we did.

It is a great season and hopefully we keep rising again against odds, no matter the Lakers or whatever. There is not failure this year on my eyes, because overachievers may fall short, but no fail.
Good stuff. We’ve got to keep things in perspective.
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Nodack, you're up.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I made a post about this teams playoff prospects a while back and it seemed to be appreciated as much as an elevator fart. All I was trying to convey is that this is an imperfect team and their inevitable exit from the playoffs shouldn't really be a source of disappointment.

Now if Bobby Short Pockets pulls a Joe Johnson redux and somehow gets in front of an off season move that could really push the Suns into title contenders, by all means, bitch and moan. I'll be right here with you.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

So there’s about 4 possible scenarios for our playoff situation still:

1. We win out, Jazz lose final game to Kings and we get the 1 seed. Very unlikely at this point, but still possible.

2. We stay at 2, Lakers win out and either Portland or Dallas lose out and fall to 7. Lakers have IND/NO, Portland has PHX/DEN, and Dallas has TOR/MIN

3. We go 0-3(1-2) and Clippers go 2-1(3-0) dropping us to the 3 seed. Clippers finish CHA/OKC/HOU...so possible.

4. By far the most likely scenario...we stay at 2 and the Lakers stay at 7. Of course, if they lose the first play-in game, we still could play GS.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I cannot just sit back and be happy that we did better than we originally expected in the regular season. We have done that so many times in the past. I want this team to be a legit title contender. If we are not contending for a title, we are failing. Are we really fanatical if we don't care about championships?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 am

1. We win out, Jazz lose final game to Kings and we get the 1 seed. Very unlikely at this point, but still possible.

2. We stay at 2, Lakers win out and either Portland or Dallas lose out and fall to 7. Lakers have IND/NO, Portland has PHX/DEN, and Dallas has TOR/MIN

3. We go 0-3(1-2) and Clippers go 2-1(3-0) dropping us to the 3 seed. Clippers finish CHA/OKC/HOU...so possible.

4. By far the most likely scenario...we stay at 2 and the Lakers stay at 7. Of course, if they lose the first play-in game, we still could play GS.
What's really frustrating is that if we had just held on to beat the Warriors, we would control our own destiny for the #1 seed right now and Memphis would be in 8th right now. Memphis is probably the only matchup I would feel really good about at the moment.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya..just one of the Lakers game or Warriors game and we’d be set.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:26 am
I cannot just sit back and be happy that we did better than we originally expected in the regular season. We have done that so many times in the past. I want this team to be a legit title contender. If we are not contending for a title, we are failing. Are we really fanatical if we don't care about championships?
Then your heart is going to be broken this year, bub. Plus, nobody said we don't care. Just trying to set realistic expectations for this year. You think we're better than a full strength Lakers team?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:03 am
Split T wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 am

What's really frustrating is that if we had just held on to beat the Warriors, we would control our own destiny for the #1 seed right now and Memphis would be in 8th right now. Memphis is probably the only matchup I would feel really good about at the moment.
Yep, plenty of missed opportunities. Like the night the Jazz lost and we got demolished by a short-handed Spurs team that was penalized financially for resting too many players.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:35 am
Indy wrote:
Then your heart is going to be broken this year, bub. Plus, nobody said we don't care. Just trying to set realistic expectations for this year. You think we're better than a full strength Lakers team?
being fine with a 1st round exit is not where I am at as a fan of this team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:35 am
Indy wrote:
Oh, and to answer your question, yes. If we are playing the way we were a month ago, or even 2 months ago, I think we can beat anyone in a 7 game series. The way we have been playing the last couple of weeks, we are probably underdogs against most teams in the playoffs out West.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

After 53 years, any season that does not end in a championship is a failure of a season. That doesn't mean failure can't lead to future success but the season itself is a failure.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's more nuanced than that. Not every team is cooking with the same ingredients.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm still more interested in some kinda rhythm and continuity in these last 3 games
If I just focus on the five games against potential West opponents to close the season we're 0-2 so far and a 1-4 stretch or something like that really isn't ideal way to end the regular season

Then comes the week off. Are we now even looking at a potential sitting Ayton in two of these three games, as much as Cam struggled he's a missing piece of the rotation who we hoping get right in the extra time.

We might end up just hoping that the week off to May 22nd/23rd that the guys come out next weekend raring n ready to go since it is possible there might not be much to build off of in these last few games :?
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:27 pm
Nodack, you're up.
Lol

I have been a Suns fan for a long time like all you guys and we have seen good and bad times. In fact we just went through a doozy of a down stretch didn’t we? I think we all want it all of course. When your team sucks and misses the playoffs for a decade you try to stay positive by following their growth and watch potential draft picks and yada yada yada. Most of us would have been been pretty happy just making the playoffs this year. Unfortunately the Suns kicked ass and now we want it all because the odds of it happening have gone up greatly from any other year in the past decade due to their record and who they beat.

I was living in L.A. when the injured Kirk Gibson came out of the lockerroom, limped up to home base and hit a home run in the World Series. Nobody on planet earth knows what is in store in the playoffs. The world wants a Clippers Lakers Championship. A Suns Jazz Championship wouldn’t get as many viewers but, I don’t care. I would love watching them play while the Clippers and Lakers go fishing.

The Suns were sort of a Cinderella team to start the season but, as it has gone on teams have taken the Suns much more seriously. I don’t even consider them a Cinderella team anymore. Everyone knows who they are now and have been gunning for them, especially lately with all these teams fighting for a playoff spot and the Suns coming to town.

Suns fans here got into the Suns during the Nash, Amare years and didn’t enjoy the wins because they were so wrapped up in winning it all that they couldn’t even enjoy a win. As a guy who is fast becoming an old fart, my many years of being a Suns fan advice is enjoy the wins and their success and don’t dwell on the losses. Nobody goes undefeated.

We went from last to first in a real short time. It’s time to enjoy it! You’re going to hate when they are out and are going to want to trade everyone for failing to get you that trophy you deserve. Like Indy was implying, second place is the first loser.😀

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don't mind it so much that we aren't going deep into the playoffs. This team is youngish and if we even made our way to the conference finals I'd be very much pleasantly surprised.

However, this team has established itself firmly as a home court advantage team in the first round, and for us to suddenly falter now and be at risk of getting eliminated in the first round is absolutely a disappointment. Just because the team started at humbler beginnings with less expectations doesn't mean that they should be given a pass when they are clearly not playing up to their abilities.

I could go on about how I see doom ahead, as conditioned by my 30+ years of Suns fandom, but I won't. I'm holding out hope that we will get it together, that things will break right, and that we will all look back on this season with pride, with or without a championship ring. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to prepare myself for doom and gloom.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Of course I don’t want to leave on a first round showdown against the Lakers, but even if we go into the playoffs as the better seeded team, that came from a healthier roster (despite all the WebMD jokes, right?) not from a really superior one, and specially the Lakers match up, this one could either way. Very unlikely that the road ahead stop me from enjoying this year, for example, among some other developments, Booker finally making the playoffs while sticking truthful to our team is great, and makes it remarkable as so many other young stars would have fled already.

Not telling any of you how to live your fandom, as I’m not willing to accept from others what ”failure” should mean to me, specially when it comes to things I use for relaxation , as it is my Suns’ fandom. I’m only talking about me, and how I take things in life. I’m willing to enjoy my popcorn, even if the bottom of the bag is burned, I’m willing to taste a nice tequila on a friend's house, even if I know that I have a better one at home. I won’t carry along the weight of the past, specially from 53 years, (no wonder why that Cubby troll got under so many skins with a one-line-boring-as-hell nonsense), and to me, “championship or bust” is a philosophy that usually ends on a bitter life.