Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Sun 5/23/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Lakers (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Sun 5/23/21

Post by jonh »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:51 am
JustWinBaby wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:44 pm
Hand Sizes

Ayton 9.5 L - 9-5 W
Crowder 9.5 L - 10.5 W (Can he even dunk)
Kawaii 9/75 L - 11.75 W
Jordan 9.75 L - 11.375 W
Gianis 9.85 L - 12.0 W
Shaq 10.25 L - 12.0 W

I could not find Amare's hand size anywhere but I would expect it to be in the Gianis territory.

DA just keep up the effort on both ends and all will be well. Use 2 hands when necessary to hold onto the ball, I will forgive you. Stay out of foul trouble, that was huge today.

Connie Hawkins: 10.5/11
Sounds like your mother's been telling stories about him again. ;)

jonh

Post by jonh »

I was on a road trip with my family while the game was going on. Incredible win, especially given Paul's limitations. I felt like this game highlighted how Phoenix has a deeper team than the Lakers, the Laker's dependence on LeBron and Davis to be the best 2 players on the court, which didn't happen last night.

I know its cliche, but I don't want to get my hopes too high until after game 2. Davis and Lebron are going to come out trying to make a point, and I am quite worried about Paul's injury.

Loved seeing DA do so well yesterday. One of my favorite parts of the game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Davis and James will come out focused and Davis has something to prove now. Everyone expected Davis to school Ayton and that was clearly not the case. Was Ayton’s success and Davis failure a fluke? Ayton 10/11 and he rebounded his only miss. 15 boards. The Lakers will be taking Ayton a little more seriously next game.

I sure would like to know Paul’s condition for tomorrow’s game. So would the Lakers. Keep us and the Lakers guessing.

I feel Bridges is going to have a big impact on Tuesday.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

“Well Lebron, the run in with Chris Paul near the foul line. How is your shoulder and was that a dangerous play?”

“We’re ready for game 2.”

Your shoulder is fine because you were flopping like you are known to do. You are ready for game two. I hope the refs are too.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's not the NBA postseason until LeBron is laying on the ground for 10 minutes.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Back with another vid breakdown from this channel
9+ mins covering everything Book did.... "The Good, Bad n Awesome"

Man in the 2nd quarter I was getting nervous, I think that's when my posts started to slow down lol. CP3 was dinged and Book was starting to rack up the turnovers

That charge call.....
Seeing it again, just wow

Big performance man, gotta clean up the turnovers tho because couple weeks ago we would have talked about his tendency to hold the ball that extra second and then losing it

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

When CP3 went down the entire Suns team went into a slide for a little bit before regaining their composure. I just think they were a little in shocked by the injury and it took them out of their game for a little bit. You could almost sense what they were thinking.

“OMG! CP3 just got injured. Now what do we do? We can’t win without him. Oh crap an unforced turnover. Maybe it’s not that bad of an injury. Oh crap, another turnover. OK, he’s out and we still have to play and we are in the playoffs. Focus, focus...”

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:10 am
When CP3 went down the entire Suns team went into a slide for a little bit before regaining their composure. I just think they were a little in shocked by the injury and it took them out of their game for a little bit. You could almost sense what they were thinking.

“OMG! CP3 just got injured. Now what do we do? We can’t win without him. Oh crap an unforced turnover. Maybe it’s not that bad of an injury. Oh crap, another turnover. OK, he’s out and we still have to play and we are in the playoffs. Focus, focus...”
Totally, the great thing is that Booker eventually said “fuck it, I’m winning this game by myself if it is what it takes” and took over on BOTH ends.

No deer in the lights look, neither ridiculous heroball, just pushing his pace and leading by example, the rest of the team follow and we were settled by halftime. Really mature reaction.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:01 pm
Nodack wrote:

Totally, the great thing is that Booker eventually said “fuck it, I’m winning this game by myself if it is what it takes” and took over on BOTH ends.

No deer in the lights look, neither ridiculous heroball, just pushing his pace and leading by example, the rest of the team follow and we were settled by halftime. Really mature reaction.
Yep, that Booker dunk was what punctuated the moment he decided he's not going to let the Paul injury define his team.
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:12 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:01 pm
Nodack wrote:

Yep, that Booker dunk was what punctuated the moment he decided he's not going to let the Paul injury define his team.
Yeah, that powerful play struck his teammates, rivals, arena and tv watchers in that direction. 100% “I’m still standing” play. He has a knack or it actually, but this is the first time he gets to do it on a game that matters and on a lead, not on a losing effort down by 20, this kid never gave up all those years, so he was ready to endure yesterday’s game.

Even Ayton, who rarely dunks, later managed to do his own “statement” dunk after an offensive rebound, not as powerful but still, you can see he was following Booker’s example.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AD had a game-worst -18, DA had a game-high +16.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

LeBron loves to be theatrical, so I don't know if he's genuinely banged up or just exaggerating.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

My bet is theatrical. Unless CP’s shoulder hit him in the groin.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Chris Haynes on Booker: "He went out there like this was his 100th playoff game, opposed to his first." https://www.nba.com/watch/video/2021052 ... esonlakers

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:36 pm

LeBron loves to be theatrical, so I don't know if he's genuinely banged up or just exaggerating.
When he feels it’s a growing possibility going down on a defining moment, he over reacts to any contact, to build some “I wasn’t 100%” narrative. As recent as the poked eye last week, but also on all kind of closed games. Yeah, you almost lose you chornea, but then proceed to shoot a three pointer? We already saw with Paul, how dealing with a REAL injury turns out, no matter the strongest will. Lebron didn’t even use a patch for the post game interview, and was joking about it, you normally are kind of nervous after a near blinding incident.

Anytime I start changing my perception about him, he pull off “legacy” stunts like this, no that he cares of course, specially since the majority buys in on them.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:44 am
Also want to add that even tho it was Game 1 of the Playoffs, this was a 2021 Suns type of game for us. We had a short stretch after the Paul injury where we looked out of sorts, but otherwise this could've been a normal game in February. We were just steady, playing our game on both ends of the floor - not too high or low, no one forcing anything offensively or major breakdowns defensively. We controlled the game, held onto the lead, withstood their runs and just executed as always. That focused consistency and steadiness has become part of our identity.

Book really did all the little things yesterday but his activity early on defensively and making hustle plays stood out.

Book played like a superstar and gave incredible effort. I hope he can sustain it. He is quickly rising to best-Sun-ever status.