Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Post by virtual9mm »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Ayton has actually shot the ball less frequently than he did in the regular season, he's just shooting closer to the basket and shooting a crazy FG%
Normally, I'd be saying something about how Ayton needs more shots but this is part of the Lakers' game plan and a good one. Deny the entry pass, make the Suns' shooters win the game. Ayton's been better and more important than even his numbers indicate. The shooters have just failed the Suns.

I think they'll come back and win Game 4. Call it a hunch.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

And people thought Ayton would disappear in the playoffs. It's every other player that has disappeared. Ayton is the only one who has been consistently great, not lost his cool, played like a man, and with great maturity. All of you Ayton haters were so wrong about him.

Also, Paul looked good in the first quarter. Monty needed to not play him until the 4th quarter.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:05 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Ayton has actually shot the ball less frequently than he did in the regular season, he's just shooting closer to the basket and shooting a crazy FG%
Normally, I'd be saying something about how Ayton needs more shots but this is part of the Lakers' game plan and a good one. Deny the entry pass, make the Suns' shooters win the game. Ayton's been better and more important than even his numbers indicate. The shooters have just failed the Suns.

I think they'll come back and win Game 4. Call it a hunch.
Ayton has a lot more value when he's shooting around the basket, and he's been engaged all three games, which is a big improvement.

The guys like Bridges, Johnson, Crowder and Booker have to step it up though. Especially if Paul isn't 100%.

And I'm thoroughly impressed with Payne.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:10 pm
And people thought Ayton would disappear in the playoffs. It's every other player that has disappeared. Ayton is the only one who has been consistently great, not lost his cool, played like a man, and with great maturity. All of you Ayton haters were so wrong about him.

Also, Paul looked good in the first quarter. Monty needed to not play him until the 4th quarter.
Payne has been great, but he did lose his cool I guess.

And ya, if this is the Paul we get, we absolutely need to start Payne. Game plan for Payne as our primary pg.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:01 pm
I don’t really care that Book got tossed, the game was over...it was a frustration push...I thought it was a weak push though and Schroeder sold it big time. I did also think it was dumb for AD to go on his rant after he kicked Crowder in the balls.
Hopefully motivation for game 4. Tying this series would be such a huge momentum shift going into game 5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, I guess if you’re gonna win 1 game in LA, I’d pick game 4

Split T

Post by Split T »

When the defense doesn’t have to guard two of your guys...

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Booker can't step up in game 4 if he's suspended. I wouldn't put it past the league. Just saying.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Mr. legendary was ordinary at best

If he is suspended I think I am done with the NBA.

Don't you just love Morris and Dudley celebrating on the sidelines & yucking it up with Lebron.

PUKE
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 pm
Mr. legendary was ordinary at best

If he is suspended I think I am done with the NBA.

Don't you just love Morris and Dudley celebrating on the sidelines & yucking it up with Lebron.

PUKE
The LA bench was totally on the court during play. They need to give them techs.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Lakers outclassed us last night. They have us figured out defensively, staying out and crowding shooters. DA's been great and putting up numbers, but the Lakers seem fine with it. I don't want to take anything away from him, but the stats are somewhat empty in this case. He's not hurting them, not getting their bigs in foul trouble, not opening things up for the perimeter.

Paul's a detriment at this point and needs to sit so we can gameplan around the other guards. This "warrior" bullshit is just pride and ego and costing us. Monty needs to man up and tell him he's sitting. Foster and the refs aren't the reason we lost.

Our wings - this is the worst case scenario where none of them can create offense and are bricking shots. I thought Mikal and maybe Cam Johnson could work more off the dribble or get some designed plays run to create something to get them going, but nope.

The Playoffs are about matchups and the Lakers are probably the worst matchup for us. They're not your typical 7 Seed - they're not the Grizzlies, Blazers, Spurs or some lower tier playoff team that we as a 2 seed should really be seeing. If LBJ and AD play most of the season, the Lakers are a 2-3 seed. That's not an excuse, it's reality and the reason we should've at least tried to strategically avoid them early in the playoffs. Instead, we did everything "right", played and competed in all the games while the Lakers cruised and now we're the ones looking like a 7 seed. if we were going to see a team like the Lakers, it shouldn't have been in the 1st round. But some people are playing checkers while others are playing chess.

Best thing is, now we get to hear the experts and even some Suns fans crow about how we were never really that great, were just a regular season team, Book isn't a superstar, the team and roster is flawed and these games exposed us. That's fine and some of it's true, but I would've rather had us beat up on the Mavs or Blazers and win a playoff series before hearing all that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well all for me trying to figure out how I was going to watch the game. I wasn't accounting for getting vaccinated y'day and feeling like shit but yea catching myself and watching it a lil while ago. Rouuuuugghhhhh.....
Sigh smh

I'm always saying that it's not the missed shot games from Book but the immature games that concern me the most. Was really hoping he wouldn't have one of these lose his head games. To see AD get a call every time he dips his shoulder on a drive is annoying while Book getting bumped alot but he was literally talking to the refs from the 1st quarter and I didn't like his body language.
Schroeder is a punk, I already mention how the Lakers are front runners lead by You know Who but that's been his thing for years. I haven't gone on Twitter yet cuz don't feel like seeing other opinions to piss me off (like I didn't even know AD n Bron were carrying on post game about Book's foul) til I read it here just now. Stupid play by Book but typical again that they will try to make the most out of it.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Booker shouldn't have pushed him, but it sounds like the Lakers are doing all they can to get Booker suspended for the next game.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:57 am
Booker shouldn't have pushed him, but it sounds like the Lakers are doing all they can to get Booker suspended for the next game.
It was a dumb, immature move from Book. Definitely a flagrant, but no way in hell it’s worthy of a suspension.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Shel I get what you're saying that DA is what the Lakers rather give up but "empty stats" is a rough way to describe his play.

I get great on court audio listening on League Pass, when Bron went into his dribbling through the legs n behind the back like 10 times iso because they were up 15+ or whatever. Next possession Jae said "Don't try me n@#$a" and I had no problem with that, letting him know bout the showboating. Obviously Bron goes to the red "Did u hear that ?!?" and proceeds to flop running down the court. It's sad tbh but yea as advertised Jae not gonna stand for that stuff, cool but I just don't know what to say about the shooting

We're probably never gonna know the whole truth about CP3 til after the fact. Actually thought he seemed right but don't know what happened after the 1st quarter.

Liked how Mikal started, zero hesitation coming off screens and from the wing too not even his corner 3 so I thought the 18-22pt game was about to happen. Totally stopped looking at the rim in the 2nd half, pump faking too much and then drove to pass. Think like 3 rushed shots at the end of the clock were him not looking at the basket, disappointing.

Cam J just out there taking what the D gives him which isn't much. I am wondering how most the open 3s are going to Jae tho but whatever.

I hope the team looks at Payne's play and look at themselves in the mirror. It was good he hit some shots but his hustle and energy was just totally different to all our other guys. He was pretty much the only one playing desperate and scrapping. Yes he racked up the points but he also had so many deflections n steals in that last 14mins. Craig as always looked like he had the right energy and was gonna affect the game but he got pulled.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Gladiator wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:35 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:57 am
It was a dumb, immature move from Book. Definitely a flagrant, but no way in hell it’s worthy of a suspension.
Of course they are but my problem with Book on that play is that with those flagrant fouls you always hear "but how do you judge intent". To that point most players do the token holding the player up to make it seem like it wasn't intentional. Would have been hard for Book to hold Schroeder but when the play was getting reviewed, if they showed Book 5 times each time he was like smirking n laughing with the others and had stupid smug look on his face "Like yes I know what I did, should have pushed him harder"

So I mean if they actually reviewing it again, there's nothing much from Book that gives the impression it was accidental. Still would be ridiculous but again bigger issue is Book just gotta be better

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh my other Love n Hate all season is Book doing the keeping the player on his hip thing. Sometimes it's easy $$ and very effective but been times when I think he is too focused on that and loses the ball or gets forced into a bad shot. I really hope yung fella bounces back

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If they suspend Booker, the Suns should just forfeit Game 4 in protest of the league/refs favoring the Lakers, and for refusing to suspend Davis.