Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:24 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:14 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:08 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:04 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:02 pm

Did he have any plan going into tonight besides hoping Paul felt better?
I didn't intend my comment to come across as putting all the blame on him. He didn't buy the groceries and some of these guys have no-showed offensively.
It’s not all his fault but he deserves some blame.
Monte can’t shoot it for them. We are 7 of 23 from 3 tonight. So much for all the shooters we have. Booker is 5 of 17 overall. Nice star.
It’s Monty’s call to play Crowder, who has absolutely been terrible. It’s Monty’s call to play Paul so much who’s clearly fucked. To pretend Monty doesn’t deserve blame tonight is just being ridiculous.
That is true about Crowder, but how many times this year has he sucked for 3.5 quarters, going 0-7, then come up with huge plays down the stretch on defense then hit a 3 at a critical moment? I think Monty is trusting him to do that again. Certainly can backfire, but the other option is to play Dario or Frank more. Craig is too small to defend Lebron.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:52 pm
Lack of a legitimate PF is the real demise of this roster.
been saying that since before the season started.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Crowder keeps missing and we lose the series, he'll be the fall guy but he's been a streak shooter all season and the Lakers know how to guard him. Like Indy said, he can just as easily get hot and hit 4 in a row. That's what we've been hoping for in playing him. He's defending well enough when allowed, has made some plays off the dribble and had some nice assists. Whatever you criticize him for, you can pretty much say the same for Mikal and Cam Johnson.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Ayton has actually shot the ball less frequently than he did in the regular season, he's just shooting closer to the basket and shooting a crazy FG%
Ayton is averaging 13.0 FGAs in the playoffs, and only averaged 10.0 in the reg season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:34 am
If Crowder keeps missing and we lose the series, he'll be the fall guy but he's been a streak shooter all season and the Lakers know how to guard him. Like Indy said, he can just as easily get hot and hit 4 in a row. That's what we've been hoping for in playing him. He's defending well enough when allowed, has made some plays off the dribble and had some nice assists. Whatever you criticize him for, you can pretty much say the same for Mikal and Cam Johnson.
It says a lot when our starting PF is shooing 10% from 3 (on high attempts) and 26% overall and that is not our biggest problem.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Lakers definitely having their way in the paint. LBJ hadn’t been doing any drives to the basket in the first two games and we figured he was avoiding it because of his ankle. Then in game three he throws that out the window and starts going to the basket. Right now the Lakers OWN the paint and the Suns have no answer. The Suns outside shooting has disappeared. Booker, Crowder, Bridges and Johnson were sub par offensively.

The Lakers had us beat in the fourth and LBJ started going into his Showtime happy dance trying to humiliate Chowder and rub in their victory and that pissed of Crowder and the Suns. That’s when the Suns went on a roll with Payne leading the way with three 3 pointers. It wasn’t enough to pull out a victory but, it was enough to put a scare in the Lakers and put a hold on Lebron’s pre celebration/taunting.

I think the Lakers and Lebron specifically made the Suns angry to end the game with his showboating and they have two days to fester and stay angry. I hope they use that as motivation. I prefer angry over intimidated. I have a feeling Crowder is going to have a big game in game four.

phatmike

Post by phatmike »

Really piss poor performance with few exceptions. That said, if the Suns can hit some damn shots in game four they should be in a position to win. That would bring the series even with us having homecourt back. At the beginning of the year, if we had thought we were in the playoffs matched up against the Fakers in round one and we were heading in to game 5 knotted up - I think any of us would be happy with that. The tune around here and everywhere changes drastically if they can pull off a win on Sunday. I'm hoping for the best.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:12 am
The Lakers definitely having their way in the paint. LBJ hadn’t been doing any drives to the basket in the first two games and we figured he was avoiding it because of his ankle. Then in game three he throws that out the window and starts going to the basket.
Not until after halftime when Barkley called him out for not being aggressive and saying that there seemed to be something wrong with him. I have to wonder if those comments got back to him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 am
The Bobster wrote:
Ayton has actually shot the ball less frequently than he did in the regular season, he's just shooting closer to the basket and shooting a crazy FG%
Ayton is averaging 13.0 FGAs in the playoffs, and only averaged 10.0 in the reg season.
The one thing he could improve on is getting to the free throw line, but I also know he's been hacked a few times per game with no calls.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Two problems: poor shooting and the refs just playing into the Lakers flopping BS. Phoenix getting absolutely mugged on offense whereas if they lay a finger on the Lakers its a whistle. That can get frustrating so I don't blame them for it boiling over at the end of the game.

It's clear that the NBA NEEDS the Lakers to advance in the playoffs. A healthy CP should/would be able to overcome that but the deck is slowly stacking more and more against us with poor play from key contributors and the CP injury.

The Lakers played harder than the Suns but they are a team full of soft, hypocritical, fake tough guys. Sad they are being rewarded for it.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ayton is playing great for the most part. One thing that kind of bothers me is he is playing it safe. His shooting percentage is sky high because he only takes shots he knows he can make. I don’t know how many times he has ended up with the ball under the basket with a small defender or no defender on him and he passes it back out. Guess he is worried about help coming and gets rid of the ball. Sometimes it’s a great pass to an open player but, you were all alone right under the basket...

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:27 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:52 pm
Lack of a legitimate PF is the real demise of this roster.
been saying that since before the season started.
Ouch. Truth hurts.
But asides that. Suns are missing good look jumpshots, got wore down by physical play and no calls, CP3 injury, MIA (Crowder, Saric). This is worst case scenario and too many factors. I hope JJ is paying attention to this shit.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:53 am
Ayton is playing great for the most part. One thing that kind of bothers me is he is playing it safe. His shooting percentage is sky high because he only takes shots he knows he can make. I don’t know how many times he has ended up with the ball under the basket with a small defender or no defender on him and he passes it back out. Guess he is worried about help coming and gets rid of the ball. Sometimes it’s a great pass to an open player but, you were all alone right under the basket...
Ayton is the last of our worries. He's been by far the best player for us in the postseason. I can live with the perception that he's playing safe. I do agree that I'd like to see him even more aggressive considering how great he's been. I'd get him the ball early and often, especially if we're still ice cold from 3. Imagine all of those Crowder misses instead being opportunities for Ayton in the paint? Which reminds me, I think Saric and Kaminsky are 0 for 17 in the paint this series so far.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Perhaps Ayton is trying to get other guys going with open shots on the outside, but they just aren't falling. I'm a little annoyed by how often we go to him when he's posting up and it either gets poked away or fumbled. I'm giving him like 70% of the blame for that, as he doesn't do a great job all the time about sealing his man to catch the pass and those passes that go straight to him are never cleanly handled, like you would normally expect out of a big man. Not handling them cleanly is affecting a good shot or even the possession.

Another thing that is bothering me, is that he wasn't great on his help at the rim last night. There were some Laker highlights where it seemed that he just let the Laker slip by him because of bad position or late help. It was frustrating, since these are things we expect and take for granted will just happen on the regular.

All in all, he's having a good series, but it feels by design of the Lakers defense and really hurting the perimeter players' play. Tbh, it plays into the hands of the Lakers that CP3 can't shoot right now and is hurt. This is making them look unbeatable, to the point that they feel totally comfortable clowning on the Suns, which really is triggering me into wishing a whole lot of bad on them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:57 pm
Which reminds me, I think Saric and Kaminsky are 0 for 17 in the paint this series so far.
I assume this was hyperbolic sarcasm, but I actually wish they had taken that many shots in the paint. At least then we would be aggressive. So far, those two guys have taken a total of 7 shots all series.

Overall, it feels like we are much less aggressive. This is despite the fact we are taking (slightly) more shots per game during these 3 games when compared to our 3 games against them during the season. But we are taking 20% less FTAs than we did during the regular season. That is counting all those FTAs Book got at the end of game 2 which throws off the numbers a ton. Without those 10 FTAs, we would be shooting over 31% less.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

This is still a vulnerable Lakers team playing to advantage of a hurt CP3 and our offense that is lost otherwise and just not knocking down shots. People are biased to hype them because they’re the defending champs. One third quarter run doesn’t define them as a premier team. If Lebron or AD were hurt and we were up 2-1 we’d never hear the end of how fake of a victory we were having.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

All I know is we have to win game 4 to stay in this thing. We’ve got to do something to wipe those stupid grins off their stupid faces.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 am
The Bobster wrote:
However, he is averaging 40.0 minutes per game. Per 36 minutes, Ayton is averaging 11.7 FGA per game, exactly the same as the regular season. He is also averaging fewer rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks per 36 in the playoffs, and the same turnovers and fouls. He has lower FT% and FTA. The only thing he is doing better is shooting. He is scoring 19.5 per 36 instead of 17.0 in the regular season, due to his 82.1 FG%.

I always said if he got more minutes, like Shaq did, he would look better. He only got 30.7 mpg in the regular season.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

In2ition wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:19 pm
Perhaps Ayton is trying to get other guys going with open shots on the outside, but they just aren't falling. I'm a little annoyed by how often we go to him when he's posting up and it either gets poked away or fumbled. I'm giving him like 70% of the blame for that, as he doesn't do a great job all the time about sealing his man to catch the pass and those passes that go straight to him are never cleanly handled, like you would normally expect out of a big man. Not handling them cleanly is affecting a good shot or even the possession.

Another thing that is bothering me, is that he wasn't great on his help at the rim last night. There were some Laker highlights where it seemed that he just let the Laker slip by him because of bad position or late help. It was frustrating, since these are things we expect and take for granted will just happen on the regular.

All in all, he's having a good series, but it feels by design of the Lakers defense and really hurting the perimeter players' play. Tbh, it plays into the hands of the Lakers that CP3 can't shoot right now and is hurt. This is making them look unbeatable, to the point that they feel totally comfortable clowning on the Suns, which really is triggering me into wishing a whole lot of bad on them.
Probably because if you breathe on a Laker it’s a foul. Literally if they get touched it’s a foul.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:08 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:19 pm

Probably because if you breathe on a Laker it’s a foul. Literally if they get touched it’s a foul.
At least they call it fairly both ways.
"Be Legendary."