Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Post by Drewsprocket »

Ayton has done a great job for his first time playoff series against defending champs. Down the road perhaps he’ll develop the ability to score through contact and get to the line. Honestly he’s fighting literally two of the best rebounders in the league. People need to have fair expectations.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton has been exactly what we needed him to be to win this series.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:53 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:08 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:19 pm
Perhaps Ayton is trying to get other guys going with open shots on the outside, but they just aren't falling. I'm a little annoyed by how often we go to him when he's posting up and it either gets poked away or fumbled. I'm giving him like 70% of the blame for that, as he doesn't do a great job all the time about sealing his man to catch the pass and those passes that go straight to him are never cleanly handled, like you would normally expect out of a big man. Not handling them cleanly is affecting a good shot or even the possession.

Another thing that is bothering me, is that he wasn't great on his help at the rim last night. There were some Laker highlights where it seemed that he just let the Laker slip by him because of bad position or late help. It was frustrating, since these are things we expect and take for granted will just happen on the regular.

All in all, he's having a good series, but it feels by design of the Lakers defense and really hurting the perimeter players' play. Tbh, it plays into the hands of the Lakers that CP3 can't shoot right now and is hurt. This is making them look unbeatable, to the point that they feel totally comfortable clowning on the Suns, which really is triggering me into wishing a whole lot of bad on them.
Probably because if you breathe on a Laker it’s a foul. Literally if they get touched it’s a foul.
At least they call it fairly both ways.
I sure hope that’s sarcasm.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Perhaps Ayton is trying to get other guys going with open shots on the outside, but they just aren't falling. I'm a little annoyed by how often we go to him when he's posting up and it either gets poked away or fumbled. I'm giving him like 70% of the blame for that, as he doesn't do a great job all the time about sealing his man to catch the pass and those passes that go straight to him are never cleanly handled, like you would normally expect out of a big man. Not handling them cleanly is affecting a good shot or even the possession.

Another thing that is bothering me, is that he wasn't great on his help at the rim last night. There were some Laker highlights where it seemed that he just let the Laker slip by him because of bad position or late help. It was frustrating, since these are things we expect and take for granted will just happen on the regular.

All in all, he's having a good series, but it feels by design of the Lakers defense and really hurting the perimeter players' play. Tbh, it plays into the hands of the Lakers that CP3 can't shoot right now and is hurt. This is making them look unbeatable, to the point that they feel totally comfortable clowning on the Suns, which really is triggering me into wishing a whole lot of bad on them.
Probably because if you breathe on a Laker it’s a foul. Literally if they get touched it’s a foul.
Dripping with it.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If you told me before the playoffs started that this is the DA we’d be getting,
I’d have placed bets on us winning it all.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Superbone wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:47 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Dripping with it.
If AD drives to the hoop without a Suns player in the key, is it still a foul?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I feel we should get some bubble energy going and have different user start the game day thread for each game. It could be a fun tradition come playoff time.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
In2ition wrote:

And every time Ayton leaves his man to help, his man gets an easy dunk.

And yes, Lebron trying to rub Crowders/Suns face in it made me wish bad on them too.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I was really pushing for a pulled hammy on Lebron o because of the disrespect
. The showboating was insulting. Book should have redirected his anger to a hard foul there to send a statement, but instead he loves to pick on small fish who get under his skin for no apparent reason.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:34 pm
I feel we should get some bubble energy going and have different user start the game day thread for each game. It could be a fun tradition come playoff time.
Yeah, where is it? We should be talking about this upcoming most important game of our entire season. Enough talk, WW. A little more action.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:54 am
I was really pushing for a pulled hammy on Lebron o because of the disrespect
. The showboating was insulting. Book should have redirected his anger to a hard foul there to send a statement, but instead he loves to pick on small fish who get under his skin for no apparent reason.
Yeah, should have been a hard double with a subtle nut punch knee to the groin.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 am
The Bobster wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Ayton has actually shot the ball less frequently than he did in the regular season, he's just shooting closer to the basket and shooting a crazy FG%
Ayton is averaging 13.0 FGAs in the playoffs, and only averaged 10.0 in the reg season.
However, he is averaging 40.0 minutes per game. Per 36 minutes, Ayton is averaging 11.7 FGA per game, exactly the same as the regular season. He is also averaging fewer rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks per 36 in the playoffs, and the same turnovers and fouls. He has lower FT% and FTA. The only thing he is doing better is shooting. He is scoring 19.5 per 36 instead of 17.0 in the regular season, due to his 82.1 FG%.

I always said if he got more minutes, like Shaq did, he would look better. He only got 30.7 mpg in the regular season.
He has looked engaged almost the entire time he is on the court in these 3 games. It is weird, because I can't think of more than 4-5 games all year where that happened. And usually he looks gassed if he plays more than 6 minutes straight. What is different now?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:21 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Ayton has actually shot the ball less frequently than he did in the regular season, he's just shooting closer to the basket and shooting a crazy FG%
Ayton is averaging 13.0 FGAs in the playoffs, and only averaged 10.0 in the reg season.
However, he is averaging 40.0 minutes per game. Per 36 minutes, Ayton is averaging 11.7 FGA per game, exactly the same as the regular season. He is also averaging fewer rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks per 36 in the playoffs, and the same turnovers and fouls. He has lower FT% and FTA. The only thing he is doing better is shooting. He is scoring 19.5 per 36 instead of 17.0 in the regular season, due to his 82.1 FG%.

I always said if he got more minutes, like Shaq did, he would look better. He only got 30.7 mpg in the regular season.
He has looked engaged almost the entire time he is on the court in these 3 games. It is weird, because I can't think of more than 4-5 games all year where that happened. And usually he looks gassed if he plays more than 6 minutes straight. What is different now?
He's usually been engaged in big games or in crunch time, so I was expecting it for the playoffs. I think at the end of his long stretches he has looked a little gassed at times, but you're right that it doesn't seem as bad as it has sometimes. But on the other hand, he has played well in overtime before also.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:17 pm
Ayton has been exactly what we needed him to be to win this series.
He has been great, but I thought Game 3 was the first game where he wasn't sharp defensively.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:03 pm
I just wish the Suns had more guys who would attack the basket and create offense.
Kelly Oubre. The Suns traded him but didn't bother to replace the positives he brought to the team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:29 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
I just wish the Suns had more guys who would attack the basket and create offense.
Kelly Oubre. The Suns traded him but didn't bother to replace the positives he brought to the team.
I just reported this message for its filth.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:51 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:21 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

He's usually been engaged in big games or in crunch time, so I was expecting it for the playoffs. I think at the end of his long stretches he has looked a little gassed at times, but you're right that it doesn't seem as bad as it has sometimes. But on the other hand, he has played well in overtime before also.
He played like ass in the bubble so I was expecting the same. He can dog it all regular season if this is the playoff performance expectation.

And as usual with DA, we can regurgitate all his statistics and it is not about any of them. It’s about his level of energy.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
:lol:

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Lmao

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:34 pm
Yeah, where is it? We should be talking about this upcoming most important game of our entire season. Enough talk, WW. A little more action.
bajanguy008 beat me to it. I’ll get it next game. :D