Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 3:26 pm
Book is my dude
Book is our star

But man oh man......

This not been the best first week of Playoff ball for him. He just continues to struggle reading the Lakers D, doesn't matter who the primary is KCP/Caruso/Matthews
He still running himself into traps or getting his passes deflected and stolen.

One can really argue that of the U-25 Stars in the Playoffs, just about all the others (Luka, Tatum, Mitchell, Trae, Ja) and arguably even DA having more of an imprint on their series

2-2 means it's still kinda early days so there's time to make a real splash which ideally propels us further in the Playoffs
He's just going to have to learn from his mistakes. I have hope that he'll get there.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was never a great math student but Isola said when the Lakers went up 2-1 he didn't think they were coming back to Phoenix...but they were always coming back to Phoenix anyway?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think he says going back to Phoenix tied.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:25 pm
I think he says going back to Phoenix tied.
Yeah, he threw that in at the last second.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

True, missed that one completely. He kinda swallowed the word there.

WIlbon's a big Phoenix/CP/Monty fan so they've been getting a lot of airtime on PTI lately which is fun to see.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So are we giving DA the max based on these playoffs?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:14 pm
WIlbon's a big Phoenix/CP/Monty fan so they've been getting a lot of airtime on PTI lately which is fun to see.
I noticed that when Wilbon said, “my man, Chris Paul”.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:24 pm
It's a really precarious situation. He's absolutely deserved a max offer if we only look at his playoff performance. On the other hand, his game still needs a lot of development to be worthy of a max level contract for 365 days a year.

Giving today's version of Ayton the max wouldn't be a successful team building strategy because he'd be taking up too much of the cap. So there needs to be some honest evaluation about his development in the front office. How confident are they in Ayton becoming a reliable offensive co-star to Booker? Will he ever be able to create his own offense or will he always need to rely on teammates or offensive scheme to be effective?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:24 pm
I think it depends if the Suns make it out of the first round, and he maintains this level of play. If he keeps this up for 2+ rounds, then I think you have to max him at that point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I have been saying for 18 months that someone will be giving him the max regardless of how he played. Now I think it is most likely we will be the team giving him the max. Not sure what Mikal's extension will be. I hope he earns a huge contract by his play in the Finals this year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't see any reason to extend him this summer. Let him play out his final year of his rookie deal and match any offer he receives in 2022 offseason, or proactively sign him to a deal first.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:28 pm
I don't see any reason to extend him this summer. Let him play out his final year of his rookie deal and match any offer he receives in 2022 offseason, or proactively sign him to a deal first.
That didn't work out well with Joe Johnson.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Joe was a unique situation. He wanted to be the man and asked for us to not match the contract. We made the choice to let him leave, and were in the conference finals the following season.

So I don't think that is some cautionary tale for how to handle Ayton.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I could see Ayton wanting to be the man somewhere else, thinking he's been sacrificing for the greater good in Phoenix playing off CP and Book and settling for their scraps.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
The risk is if he earns a max and a team gives him a 2+1 offer sheet and we lose him after 2 years instead of 4/5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Ya, if he wants a max, you make him earn it next year. He’s been great this playoff run, but he’s still not a featured part of the offense. He’s a finisher and he’s defended well, but even with how good he’s been, I don’t think he’s a max player as is. You’d still be counting on him turning into more of a featured player on offense if you max him. No reason to do that before he’s shown it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Eh, they're probably going to just max him this offseason, especially if we somehow end up beating the Lakers in this series. Ayton isn't just another player to this team; Sarver personally lobbied for us to draft him over Luka. His pride is tied up in this player being a superstar for us. He'll put all his chips on the table to keep Ayton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I won’t be surprised if we do...but I hope we don’t. I am still a little worried at what Ayton becomes after he gets paid...I think he’s showing he’s better than Andre Drummond...but a similar situation still worries me. Drummond had been traded for a 2nd rounder and bought out in the last two years because his contract was so bad.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, should we? No. We should wait a year. But I bet we will.

It would be great if we could work out a VERY front loaded extension with Paul and no extend DA/Mikal until next year after a huge chunk of Paul's contract goes away.