Tech That Is New

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: Latest Military Hardware

Post by Nodack »

No I haven’t. I thought it was a cute name for the band. I didn’t know it was an actual thing.

I am taking all of this real seriously myself. There has always been UFO sightings around the world. Were they weather balloons or flares etc. mistaken for aliens? Grainy pictures of alien ships dubbed fakes most of the time. Now we have 40 drones surrounding a military ship doing crazy things. We have pilots watching these things fly around for 12 hours doing hypersonic moves that nothing we know of can do. These things are real and if these things are aliens then we should be a little worried. If these things are Chinese/Russian then we are in serious trouble. These things have been targeting/observing anything nuclear, which is troubling. In the old days we were told these were fake. Today our government says they are real and happen all the time. They don’t know what they are. That is kind of scary.

Russia has been seriously rattling the sabers in anticipation of the Putin Biden summit. Military buildups on crucial borders. There have been numerous ransomware attacks on our critical infrastructure in the past year originating from Russia. Each attack is more brazen than the last. Water treatment plants, pipelines, meat packaging plants. All those places have been paying the ransom too. They seem untouchable. Is it some small group of thieves or is it coordinated with the Russian government?

I feel bad things coming and I hope we are prepared when it comes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 am
if these things are aliens then we should be a little worried.
So to take a page out of your book around trades, what will worrying about it do? If they are alien, it means they have found ways to break the foundation of science as we know, which means they could likely wipe us all out pretty easily if that is what they wanted.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t worry about you guys making ten thousand trade scenarios during the season because I know you have absolutely no bearing on what actually happens. I don’t worry about what trades the Suns actually do because no matter what trades they do it won’t have any affect on the safety of me or anyone else on the planet because it’s a game.

Hypersonic vehicles that can fly for 12 hours and then dive into the ocean and disappear that are targeting/observing our military and nuclear facilities does worry me even though I can’t do anything about it. The potential for bad things is much greater than if Chris Paul doesn’t sign an extension.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:25 pm
I don’t worry about you guys making ten thousand trade scenarios during the season because I know you have absolutely no bearing on what actually happens. I don’t worry about what trades the Suns actually do because no matter what trades they do it won’t have any affect on the safety of me or anyone else on the planet because it’s a game.

Hypersonic vehicles that can fly for 12 hours and then dive into the ocean and disappear that are targeting/observing our military and nuclear facilities does worry me even though I can’t do anything about it. The potential for bad things is much greater than if Chris Paul doesn’t sign an extension.
Sure but there is nothing you can do about it.

I mean we have tons and tons of space junk floating around the earth right now, and it could fall to earth like the space craft last month. If that didn't land in the ocean, but instead hit Palo Verde, we would all be living a different life right now.

That seems much more likely as aliens attacking our nuclear plants/military bases.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm a bit skeptical of these objects being Russian or Chinese (or any other foreign nation) without some US military/intelligence officials having any clue (unless they're lying and keeping things classified). With as much spying going on, I don't think they could develop this tech without anyone knowing or be that far ahead of us technologically, especially with some of these incidents occurring several years ago. Yea we developed the atomic bomb under wraps but that was 80 years ago when info traveled much slower and it was during a world war. And even if some nation were that much further ahead of us, these objects seem to be defying the known laws of physics.

Another theory that seems as implausible could be that some civilization found a way to travel thru time and this is future tech. I think some form of time travel is possible via wormholes? Maybe these are their versions of a DeLorean?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I saw that. Skynet, here we come. For some reason I am not too afraid of computers getting sentient and deciding to eliminate mankind. I don’t think computers have feelings unless we program them into them. I think they will only kill humans if we tell them to, their is a malfunction, mistake or someone takes control of them and turns them against us.

Are the scary ones ours, aliens or an adversary? The aliens aren’t talking, the US would never admit it if it was and neither would China or Russia I bet. Best case scenario would be they are US and just being kept secret. I haven’t seen any evidence that any earth bound country has anything close to what we are seeing. The US, China and Russia are all experimenting and having success with hypersonic tech. Jets or missiles that go real fast and use a lot of fuel. They don’t hover, do ridiculous maneuvers that are impossible and cannot fly for 12 hours straight and then dive into the ocean.

I can easily believe the smaller drones flying around taunting military ships lately are Chinese or Russian drones. I can also believe groups of Americans in a some sort of drone club get together to have fun by getting 40 drones to buzz ships. I watch drone racing sometimes and it’s ridiculous how good these guys get flying these things.

NASA is getting serious about UFOs
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/04/tech/ufo ... index.html

NASA's new chief is setting up an effort to further study unidentified flying objects within his first month in office.

Bill Nelson, the former Florida senator and spaceflight veteran, told CNN Business' Rachel Crane during a wide-ranging interview on Thursday that it's not clear to anyone — even in the upper echelons of the US space agency — what the high-speed objects observed by Navy pilots are.
Nelson added that he does not believe the UFOs are evidence of extraterrestrials visiting Earth. "I think I would know" if that were the case, Nelson said. But, he acknowledged, it'd be premature to rule that out as a possibility.

"We don't know if it's extraterrestrial. We don't know if it's an enemy. We don't know if it's an optical phenomenon," Nelson said. "We don't think [it's an optical phenomenon] because of the characteristics that those Navy jet pilots described ... And so the bottom line is, we want to know.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:18 pm
I think they will only kill humans if we tell them to, their is a malfunction, mistake or someone takes control of them and turns them against us.
Hmm, can't imagine a bug getting into the programming, or anyone hacking it, or any government programming them to kill people.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Of course they will be used to kill people. We have already been using them to kill people for decades. The US is king of using drones to kill people. Hacking the enemies computer that controls their offensive drones and using them against them would be high on my list of priorities in the next phase of warfare. Can you imaging hackers today extorting the military into paying large sums of money to regain control of their systems? I would imagine our military is on some pretty sophisticated software systems.

Drone refuels Navy fighter jet for the first time
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/5571 ... first-time

The Boeing-made MQ-25 Stingray drone briefly connected to the Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet via hose and transferred fuel to the fighter while flying over the Midwest on Friday, according to a Navy statement.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Right. That is why I was confused when you said you were not that worried about it.

I know you said it in the context of "computers getting sentient" but really sentience is just a made up state that we like to think makes biological/human life superior to others.

We are all just a combination of our programming. Just depends how you were programmed. There isn't such a thing as "artificial intelligence." It is either intelligent or not intelligent. There is biological intelligence, and mechanical intelligence, and electronic intelligence. All just a matter of perspective.

I guess this is my way of saying that I am absolutely worried that "technology" will get out of hand and could start to kill people often. I mean, when you have a self driving car get into a situation where it can't stop in time and has to decide to either hit the pedestrian and likely kill them, or hit the semi truck and likely kill the owner, which one will it 'choose?'

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In Knight Rider, KARR was the prototype model with AI but when it was programmed its main objective was self-preservation. KITT's main objective was the preservation of human life. Food for thought.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:27 pm
In Knight Rider, KARR was the prototype model with AI but when it was programmed its main objective was self-preservation. KITT's main objective was the preservation of human life. Food for thought.

And there we go with Knight Rider providing the clues to understanding the problem with humanity. Our internal programming is the perseveration of our own lives, not the preservation of humanity/global ecosystem or life.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:04 pm
Right. That is why I was confused when you said you were not that worried about it.

I know you said it in the context of "computers getting sentient" but really sentience is just a made up state that we like to think makes biological/human life superior to others.

We are all just a combination of our programming. Just depends how you were programmed. There isn't such a thing as "artificial intelligence." It is either intelligent or not intelligent. There is biological intelligence, and mechanical intelligence, and electronic intelligence. All just a matter of perspective.

I guess this is my way of saying that I am absolutely worried that "technology" will get out of hand and could start to kill people often. I mean, when you have a self driving car get into a situation where it can't stop in time and has to decide to either hit the pedestrian and likely kill them, or hit the semi truck and likely kill the owner, which one will it 'choose?'
I am not that worried about computers becoming sentient and deciding to wipe out the human race. I am worried about humans using computers/drones to wipe out other humans. It’s always been a technological race to create the most lethal killing machines to get the upper hand on your enemies. I don’t think that will ever stop.

We haven’t had any World wars as in the Super powers in an all out war against each other since we developed the nuclear bomb. Assured annihilation of the entire planet has kept that in check so far. I hope the US, China and Russia don’t come to blows. War tends to escalate, get out of control and sides will use any means to survive. Self preservation.

If Japan had developed the bomb too, would they have used it against us? I think they would have in a heart beat. If we both had nukes the same time would we have called a truce or raced to kill each other?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We haven’t had any World wars as in the Super powers in an all out war against each other since we developed the nuclear bomb. Assured annihilation of the entire planet has kept that in check so far. I hope the US, China and Russia don’t come to blows.
Wouldn't be good for profits.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:06 pm
We haven’t had any World wars as in the Super powers in an all out war against each other since we developed the nuclear bomb. Assured annihilation of the entire planet has kept that in check so far. I hope the US, China and Russia don’t come to blows.
Wouldn't be good for profits.
Right. It isn't the governments promoting wars. Private companies are the ones that make out the most, and thrive off of it. How many huge companies only exist because of war profiteering?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:04 pm

I am not that worried about computers becoming sentient and deciding to wipe out the human race. I am worried about humans using computers/drones to wipe out other humans. It’s always been a technological race to create the most lethal killing machines to get the upper hand on your enemies. I don’t think that will ever stop.

We haven’t had any World wars as in the Super powers in an all out war against each other since we developed the nuclear bomb. Assured annihilation of the entire planet has kept that in check so far. I hope the US, China and Russia don’t come to blows. War tends to escalate, get out of control and sides will use any means to survive. Self preservation.

If Japan had developed the bomb too, would they have used it against us? I think they would have in a heart beat. If we both had nukes the same time would we have called a truce or raced to kill each other?
Can you explain the difference to me from your perspective? I really don't see one. Nowadays software can write its own code.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

China's Artificial Sun Just Smashed a Fusion World Record
The formidable reactor reached 120 million degrees Celsius for an astounding 101 seconds.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... ld-record/
China’s “artificial sun” tokamak has sustained a plasma reaction for a whopping 101 seconds at 120 million degrees Celsius, setting new records in the field of nuclear fusion. The breakthrough could pave the way for a carbon-neutral energy future.

China Is Building Two Secret Nuclear Reactors. Scientists Are Worried.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... -reactors/

The goal with most nuclear power plants is to use as much of their fuel up as possible—not make more. That’s especially true when the reactor produces plutonium, which is easy to turn into nuclear weapons.

In a new paper, experts from the Nonproliferation Policy Education Center (NPEC) say with the amount of weapons-grade plutonium the fast reactors will make, China could have 1,270 nuclear warheads by 2030. That’s as many as the U.S. has in its intercontinental ballistic missile arsenal.

Why would China be stockpiling plutonium behind closed doors? “China is presently engaged in a large nuclear weapons build-up that U.S. intelligence officials publicly estimate will result in at least a doubling (or more) of the size of Beijing’s nuclear arsenal,” the experts explain, and accumulating plutonium gives them even more of these critical resources.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Are US officials worried just as a matter of course? Because it doesn't matter if you have 500 or 500,000 modern nuclear war heads. Once you start letting 100s fly, the world is over.

And that fusion record is pretty cool.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

UFOs Repeatedly 'Took Offline' US Nuclear Capabilities, Ex-Chief of Pentagon Secret Unit Says
https://sputniknews.com/us/202106091083 ... unit-says/
"Now in this country we’ve had incidents where these UAPs have interfered and actually brought offline our nuclear capabilities," Elizondo said in an interview.

"I think that there is certainly at this point enough data to demonstrate there is an interest in our nuclear technology, a potential to even interfere with that nuclear technology," Elizondo said, noting there is nothing surprising about a possible increased interest in US capabilities related to its nuclear technology.
Commenting on the upcoming report, the expert said that it "definitively stated once and for all" that UAPs were not US technology, neither was it Russian or Chinese technology.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:35 am
UFOs Repeatedly 'Took Offline' US Nuclear Capabilities, Ex-Chief of Pentagon Secret Unit Says
https://sputniknews.com/us/202106091083 ... unit-says/
"Now in this country we’ve had incidents where these UAPs have interfered and actually brought offline our nuclear capabilities," Elizondo said in an interview.

"I think that there is certainly at this point enough data to demonstrate there is an interest in our nuclear technology, a potential to even interfere with that nuclear technology," Elizondo said, noting there is nothing surprising about a possible increased interest in US capabilities related to its nuclear technology.
Commenting on the upcoming report, the expert said that it "definitively stated once and for all" that UAPs were not US technology, neither was it Russian or Chinese technology.
I am more than a bit skeptical of a russian state-owned news agency reporting on the capabilities of the US nuclear program.