First-round (non-Suns) playoff games

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
3rdside

Re: First-round (non-Suns) playoff games

Post by 3rdside »

My guess is you don't need to be einstein to coach in the NBA, but you probably need to be above average intelligence to be successful.. My guess also is that I don't think JK fits that criteria.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Dallas takes the lead 81-76 after being down 8 at half time .. let's go Dallas.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Clippers it will be ..

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Above all else, getting defensive stops is how teams advance in the playoffs.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 am
Why would Portland want Middleton when they just spent a bunch of assets to acquire Covington? Not that I love Covington, but they invested in the guy and I doubt they'd move their second-best player to acquire a redundant asset that is only marginally better.
Middleton is a far better player than Covington. He's a 6'8 wing who scores reasonably consistently and plays solid defense. He was a second round draft pick by Detroit who was traded in the Brandon Jennings/Brandon Knight swap, and it turns out he was the best player of the bunch. Earlier in his career Middleton was a 3 & D guy, but later on he started taking on more offensive responsibility and his defense waned a bit, but nevertheless he still can be a good defender when he's not expending as much energy on the other side of the court.

Covington is extremely inconsistent on the offensive end and shoots at about a 38% clip for his career, and if we think Crowder was streaky, wait till you watch Roco... He is a solid defender, but not as good on ball, due to lesser lateral mobility. Middleton is a solid 2B on a contender and a luxury as a 3rd wheel, and there's no way they would trade him for McCollum.

Lowe mentioned Ingram... maybe if they can retain Ball, they can try to pair him and McCollum; I'd explore a trade for Isaac, but I guess the Magic is in tank mode and won't want to get a win now piece unless they want to sell tickets. There is no way Philly would trade Simmons for McCollum imho.

I wonder if there's any way we can finagle Zach Collins from them.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

pickle wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:33 pm
I wonder if there's any way we can finagle Zach Collins from them.
I've had the same thought. If only he could stay healthy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think Portland paid Kidd under the table to withdraw his name so they wouldn’t lose face with Lillard.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe Kidd wants the Lakers job and thinks Vogel's seat is hot.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:41 pm
I think Portland paid Kidd under the table to withdraw his name so they wouldn’t lose face with Lillard.
Lose face? I thought he wanted Kidd? Wouldn't they lose face by going against his wishes?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 am
Superbone wrote:
Lose face? I thought he wanted Kidd? Wouldn't they lose face by going against his wishes?
Maybe Portland told Kidd, hey we’re not hiring you, so you can take yourself out of consideration or we can take you out of consideration. Kidd looks bad if he can’t even get the job when the teams star player specifically asked for him. And Portland looks bad if they don’t hire who Lillard wants. Kidd bowing out may have saved both parties.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Maybe Kidd likes being a #2 with less pressure. Maybe he's waiting out Carlisle so he can go back to Dallas and coach Luka? Portland's a tough situation for any coach to step into with that much uncertainty surrounding the roster.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 am
Maybe Kidd likes being a #2 with less pressure. Maybe he's waiting out Carlisle so he can go back to Dallas and coach Luka? Portland's a tough situation for any coach to step into with that much uncertainty surrounding the roster.
The Limelight to Responsibility ratio has to be pretty high for an assistant coach on the Lakers.

Kind of like how JVG is supposedly in the running for every coaching job that comes up over the last 15 years. Why would that dude go back into coaching with the stress and travel and how much hard work it is, when he can make a great living just talking about basketball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
I think he must have something else lined up..or is biding his time for a more glamorous position.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:54 am
ShelC wrote:
I think he must have something else lined up..or is biding his time for a more glamorous position.
He is waiting for a place that isn't just a one-horse town...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 am
Superbone wrote:
That's what I'm saying. This way they don't have to be stuck with Kidd. He wanted Kidd. They didn't.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:39 am
ShelC wrote:
The Limelight to Responsibility ratio has to be pretty high for an assistant coach on the Lakers.

Kind of like how JVG is supposedly in the running for every coaching job that comes up over the last 15 years. Why would that dude go back into coaching with the stress and travel and how much hard work it is, when he can make a great living just talking about basketball.
And he seems to have a lot of fun doing it to (broadcasting).
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:54 am
ShelC wrote:
He is waiting for a place that isn't just a one-horse town...
And a place that does have lots of McDonalds per capita.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't get the fascination with Kidd as a coaching candidate.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:51 am
I don't get the fascination with Kidd as a coaching candidate.
Same. Feels like if you meet this things, you almost always get interest:

Former player at high level
Won a ring (especially in last decade or so)
Been a head coach

Like, what about "never shown you can be a good head coach?"