Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:41 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:33 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 am
So, the Jazz escaped with a 3 point victory in game 1 of their series with the Clips. IF we are able to get out of the second round, who would you rather play? The Clippers and we have home court advantage? Or the Jazz and we don’t?
This is a good question. I think I'd rather face the Jazz, but it's close. Gobert is a really bad matchup for Ayton, which worries me.
In the last two games, Ayton no longer played scared/in awe of Gobert, and basically outplayed him.
Ya I’m not worried about Rudy. Clippers essentially neutralized him last night with small ball. They switched everything, which kept Rudy from rolling…he’s not really one to take advantage of mismatches in the post. He can crash the glass, but he didn’t really even do that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:31 am
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:53 pm
Torrey Craig is an absolute steal for what we gave up to get him and he is exactly the type of player a championship team has as a rotational 7th/8th man. That said, I wouldn’t pay to keep him unless he is willing to take what Carter had absolutely no business getting. The last few spots on our rotation will likely be a revolving door as we focus on retaining and bolstering our front end.
I don't think he's a 7th or 8th man. I think he's perfect as a 9th-10th energy/hustle guy. I view him as a Jevon Carter type in a 3/4 body - more effective in less minutes when he can play balls to the wall and make a few energy/defensive plays. More than that and the warts start to really show. I'd love to have him back at the right price but it'll be tough. I still don't think Carter was overpaid because you need good guys in the lockerroom and on the bench who can play in a pinch. We used to change the roster every year in the 7SOL era and i thought it affected some of those seasons. I think Monty and Jones understand the value of those guys - specifically Carter and Frank - who know they may not be rotational guys but come to work everyday and legitimately get up for the teammates during games. I'm hoping guys like Cam Payne and Craig know a good thing when they see it and work to stay in Phoenix rather than jump somewhere else for money, but that's me talking as a fan. Easy for me to tell them to take less money here than a larger contract elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Dario, Jae and Jevon are the most moveable contracts so we'll have to see if any of them are moved if we can/need to add another piece.
There is no way we are moving Jae if Paul is back next year.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Don't know how Split manages actually being out in Utah but wow catching up on my timeline after a Jazz game is always quite something.

Social media gonna be fairly ridiculous if the WCF is Book vs Mitchell. Wow man
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea can't see Jae being moved either, just that he's got one of the few moveable contracts on the team.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:41 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
So, the Jazz escaped with a 3 point victory in game 1 of their series with the Clips. IF we are able to get out of the second round, who would you rather play? The Clippers and we have home court advantage? Or the Jazz and we don’t?
This is a good question. I think I'd rather face the Jazz, but it's close. Gobert is a really bad matchup for Ayton, which worries me.
In the last two games, Ayton no longer played scared/in awe of Gobert, and basically outplayed him.
Yeah, I'm OK with that matchup. Actually all the starters:

Gobert — Ayton
O'Neale — Crowder
Bogdanovich — Bridges
Mitchell — Booker
Conley — Paul

I think we have a wash or the advantage at every position.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:45 am
I'm not scared of the Clips and think we have the bodies to shut down Kawhi and PG. Who else do they really have? Morris? Jackson? Kennard? Ibaka?

I think the Jazz are tougher offensively with Mitchell, Ingles, Bojan, Clarkson, and Conley with Gobert in the middle but nothing we shouldn't be able to handle.
I'm not a fan of Jackson but his three point shooting has been on point in the playoffs.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:15 am
Don't know how Split manages actually being out in Utah but wow catching up on my timeline after a Jazz game is always quite something.

Social media gonna be fairly ridiculous if the WCF is Book vs Mitchell. Wow man
The mountains here are wonderful

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ayton started his rookie season in awe of other bigs, especially the name ones. The second year he started to become a little more comfortable. I think now with the Suns at the top of the league in wins this season that he has gained a lot of confidence knowing he belongs with those guys and can even dominate some of them. Beating the Lakers and matching MVP Jokić in the first game has had to give him some more confidence.

Our big boy has turned into a man.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:06 am
Ayton started his rookie season in awe of other bigs, especially the name ones. The second year he started to become a little more comfortable. I think now with the Suns at the top of the league in wins this season that he has gained a lot of confidence knowing he belongs with those guys and can even dominate some of them. Beating the Lakers and matching MVP Jokić in the first game has had to give him some more confidence.

Our big boy has turned into a man.
Wouldn't you love to see that confidence continue to grow throughout the playoffs and him become the monster we all envisioned on the way to our first NBA championship? A man can dream.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That early Ayton monster dunk in game one was revelatory. If he starts doing more of that, watch out!
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
This is a good question. I think I'd rather face the Jazz, but it's close. Gobert is a really bad matchup for Ayton, which worries me. But I think the rest of our roster can beat theirs easily. They have a bunch of old fat white boys like Ingles who they depend on, and we can shut them down. Mitchell is a great scorer but we can sick Bridges on him.

The Clips scare me more. They have both Kawhi and PG to stop; that's tough for us because we don't have two clones of Bridges to throw out there for 48 minutes. And the Clips have the best 3-point shooting in the league. We had trouble against them during the regular season.

But at the end of the day I believe we could beat either the Jazz or the Clips, so if we're lucky enough to beat Denver, bring it on.
Stick? Sic?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:13 am
That early Ayton monster dunk in game one was revelatory. If he starts doing more of that, watch out!
That brought down the house. His baddest dunk ever! That had to send a message to Denver.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:10 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
This is a good question. I think I'd rather face the Jazz, but it's close. Gobert is a really bad matchup for Ayton, which worries me. But I think the rest of our roster can beat theirs easily. They have a bunch of old fat white boys like Ingles who they depend on, and we can shut them down. Mitchell is a great scorer but we can sick Bridges on him.

The Clips scare me more. They have both Kawhi and PG to stop; that's tough for us because we don't have two clones of Bridges to throw out there for 48 minutes. And the Clips have the best 3-point shooting in the league. We had trouble against them during the regular season.

But at the end of the day I believe we could beat either the Jazz or the Clips, so if we're lucky enough to beat Denver, bring it on.
Stick? Sic

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't even know basick spelling!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:04 pm
I don't even know basick spelling!
You get a pass since you have a new newborn.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This Bucks-Nets game is disgusting.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

86-83 2 seconds left - at least Middleton hit his two FT’s at the end.

Go bucks, more wear and tear for the nets please ..

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Game - 2-1.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don’t think Milwaukee has a shot in this series…but it’s good to see Brooklyn can lose and have a bad game offensively.

Milwaukee has to fire Bud though…he’s just very disappointing as a playoff coach. I know Milwaukee won, but their offense isn’t good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mitchell is destroying the Clippers. Jazz look like they are going to take that series