Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Hopefully, the league use him as an example and hit the hammer strong on this one. Ron Artest strong. Unless they want another Rudy T incident, just look at Paul’s neck on the picture, that push could have triggered his injury all over again.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

pickle wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:55 pm
I think Beverley was doing more than just being a dick with the push, he was trying to start something and Hoping Paul and other Suns players would retaliate get some techs or ejections. Paul reacted the best way he could. It was hilarious that espn and been sucking beverleys junk all night and suddenly had to change their tune when he showed what a true piece of shit human being he was - though it was evident all along. Not going to talk about him anymore after his bullshit apology and pretending like he has sportsmanship. I Imagine he got someone else to write to for him like why he got kicked out of college. Fuck him and fuck espn. Onward to the finals
Also gives other talking heads the chance to mock CP3 for falling in an exaggerated fashion. When you get pushed hard like that and your neck snaps like that it can be a confusing situation. Fuck you Ringer Group Chat.

I’d also defend the Cousins elbow flip but why bother? These guys are just talking heads who can’t be bothered to actually understand nuanced backstories between players and fan bases.
Regarding the "flopping" from CP3, you need to rewatch that entire segment.

The situation between Cousins and CP3 happened immediately after George tried break Booker's nose (again). JVG said in the broadcast that CP3 was sitting on the Clippers bench while they were reviewing the play. To me it was unfathomable that George's move was not considered to be a flagrant 1 type of foul. Especially because, after reviewing the different angles, there was no doubt regarding his intent. He is targeting Booker's nose, it is just too obvious.

I believe CP3 decided in that very moment (after probably asking Reggie Jackson on the bench something like: "This is how low you are willing to go, are you that cheap and dirty, is this really how you want to do this? Ok, then ... ") that he needed to do everything within his power to get the W - including flopping, to "show and sell" the many bits of unnecessary physicality of the Clippers.

As the rest of the game revealed it also elevated CP3's play, his focus and in particular the shot making. So maybe Booker's nose is the sacrifice or the "pawn" it took for us to activate CP3 god mode, break the Clippers' morale and win the game.

I am fine with how it all played out. Thank god Book and CP3 seem to be alright and in good spirits. All of this also showed the entire world (other than CP3 haters and Clippers fans, of course) what a dirty mess this Clippers team (including Paul George) actually is.

I always thought Kawhi is an awesome player and a fine human being so I was neutral on the Clippers before our series but now I am hoping that Leonard leaves the Ballmer gang in free agency. Probably not going to happen (because he loves living in LA) but him joining forces with Doncic in Dallas would seem to make a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

pickle

Post by pickle »

Bruiser wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:59 am
pickle wrote:
Danimal wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:55 pm
I think Beverley was doing more than just being a dick with the push, he was trying to start something and Hoping Paul and other Suns players would retaliate get some techs or ejections. Paul reacted the best way he could. It was hilarious that espn and been sucking beverleys junk all night and suddenly had to change their tune when he showed what a true piece of shit human being he was - though it was evident all along. Not going to talk about him anymore after his bullshit apology and pretending like he has sportsmanship. I Imagine he got someone else to write to for him like why he got kicked out of college. Fuck him and fuck espn. Onward to the finals
Also gives other talking heads the chance to mock CP3 for falling in an exaggerated fashion. When you get pushed hard like that and your neck snaps like that it can be a confusing situation. Fuck you Ringer Group Chat.

I’d also defend the Cousins elbow flip but why bother? These guys are just talking heads who can’t be bothered to actually understand nuanced backstories between players and fan bases.
Regarding the "flopping" from CP3, you need to rewatch that entire segment.

The situation between Cousins and CP3 happened immediately after George tried break Booker's nose (again). JVG said in the broadcast that CP3 was sitting on the Clippers bench while they were reviewing the play. To me it was unfathomable that George's move was not considered to be a flagrant 1 type of foul. Especially because, after reviewing the different angles, there was no doubt regarding his intent. He is targeting Booker's nose, it is just too obvious.

I believe CP3 decided in that very moment (after probably asking Reggie Jackson on the bench something like: "This is how low you are willing to go, are you that cheap and dirty, is this really how you want to do this? Ok, then ... ") that he needed to do everything within his power to get the W - including flopping, to "show and sell" the many bits of unnecessary physicality of the Clippers.

As the rest of the game revealed it also elevated CP3's play, his focus and in particular the shot making. So maybe Booker's nose is the sacrifice or the "pawn" it took for us to activate CP3 god mode, break the Clippers' morale and win the game.

I am fine with how it all played out. Thank god Book and CP3 seem to be alright and in good spirits. All of this also showed the entire world (other than CP3 haters and Clippers fans, of course) what a dirty mess this Clippers team (including Paul George) actually is.

I always thought Kawhi is an awesome player and a fine human being so I was neutral on the Clippers before our series but now I am hoping that Leonard leaves the Ballmer gang in free agency. Probably not going to happen (because he loves living in LA) but him joining forces with Doncic in Dallas would seem to make a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I actually have a different take. There may be a fair bit of homerism in my take but it is what it is.

1. This was clearly provocation from Cousins. His arm going up was not a natural motion and he had already lost the ball before CP3 walked past him, it’s not like the contact dislodged the ball. Cousins took the opportunity to elbow CP3 to get under his skin and CP3 took the opportunity to take a dive to get the refs to take note.

2. Cousins elbowed CP3 in the back in the first half. Van Gundy had actually commented on that little interaction. Throughout this series the Clippers have used this tactic to try to get techs on the Suns and succeeded several times. Van Gundy had repeatedly stated that the refs should not only punish those who react but also the instigators. I don’t remember seeing any news that any of those techs were rescinded either. There are in fact too many to list and thinking through them gets my blood hot again so I’ll stop.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Also the subsequent and clearly mistaken out of bounds call was probably a make up call which was total bullshit. And then the tech on Ayton in the next possession was even worse. Whatever Ayton said, unless he directly cursed at the ref, he should not have been teched up. I watched the replay several times, Ayton’s mouth was not moving when he directly faced the ref and it’ll take actual audio evidence for me to believe that a fun loving kid like this who yells “yeahhhhh” when he’s excited would cuss out a ref. So yeah, the reffing in this series was something spectacular.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Zach Lowe with another Suns article (well CP3 article is more accurate lol)

Just sharing but last time some of you guys weren't getting access so maybe someone else can post it differently

Last edited by bajanguy008 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Cool 8-)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:37 am
Also there’s this.

Thank you! That's what I said should happen. Finally the NBA acts on these dangerous acts that aren't part of the game.

I loved my oldest son's description of Beverly when he called him an "angry toddler".
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Sighhh. Sarver is such a weirdo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He should've been T'd up by the league for taunting in Game 5 too but they let that one go. But you can't just ignore all of these things. Maybe if he were T'd up or tossed for taunting, he would've thought twice about the push.

Even the "apology" tweet I thought was forced, like someone with the Clips or his agent telling him to apologize publicly to look like he's showing remorse.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:22 pm
Sighhh. Sarver is such a weirdo.

<redacted>
Gross.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: After publication, we learned from Wendy Heckmann that this event was introduced as a roast.
Even so. Gross behavior by a bunch of millionaires. This sequence gave a lot of insight into Sarver's maturity or lack thereof:

In the weeks since, video of Sarver’s comments have circulated quietly around the Suns. Video of the incident, which has been confirmed as Sarver by people who know him, begins with Sarver talking about someone off camera, who is evidently staring at a phone.
You merging on a SPAC or are you lining up a hooker over there? What are you doing? It’s a goddamned memorial service! Christ. Hahahahahah. I’m going to guess his receptionist has small tits.

"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

I don't have a problem with this behaviour, considering now the context.

I always tell my friends that if someone makes a joke at my service and is reprehended, you can kick out whoever reprehended the person.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I thought Sarver’s comments on court after Game 6 were surprisingly appropriate, measured and gracious. I was pleasantly surprised. Baby steps for him clearly as there’s a lot of ground to make up …

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I've got nothing at this time......
Surprisingly lol

But have at it folks ☺️

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:09 am
Zach Lowe with another Suns article (well CP3 article is more accurate lol)

Just sharing but last time some of you guys weren't getting access so maybe someone else can post it differently

Here you go:

Spoiler: show/hide

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm a little confused about Paul's "torn ligaments" in his wrist. How did he recover so quickly? He shot masterfully in Game 6 from everywhere on the court.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Comparing the Suns' Finalists -

1975-76 - 42-40, 3rd in Pacific Division (8th best in NBA)
PLAYOFF OPPONENTS - Seattle (43-39), Golden State (59-23), Boston (54-28)
HEAD COACH - John MacLeod (3rd year); Al Bianchi, Assistant Coach
STARTERS - Alvan Adams, C; Curtis Perry, PF; Gar Heard, SF, Paul Westphal, SG; Ricky Sobers, PG
KEY RESERVES - Dick Van Arsdale, SG/SF, Keith Erickson, SF, Dennis Awtrey, C
ACCOLADES - Alvan Adams, Rookie of the Year, All-Rookie Team; Jerry Colangelo, Executive of the Year
ALL-STARS - Alvan Adams
TOP MOMENTS - Heard blocks Jamal Wilkes in Western Conference Finals to preserve win, Heard makes buzzer-beater to send game 5 of NBA Finals to 3rd overtime

1992-93 - 62-20, 1st in Pacific Division (Best in NBA)
PLAYOFF OPPONENTS - LA Lakers (39-43), San Antonio (49-33), Seattle (55-27), Chicago (57-25)
HEAD COACH - Paul Westphal (1st year); Lionel Hollins & Scott Robertson, Assistant Coaches
STARTERS - Mark West, C; Charles Barkley, PF; Cedric Ceballos, SF; Dan Majerle, SG; Kevin Johnson, PG
KEY RESERVES - Danny Ainge, SG; Tom Chambers, PF; Richard Dumas, SF; Frank Johnson, PG; Oliver Miller, C
ACCOLADES - Charles Barkley, Most Valuable Player, 1st Team All-NBA; Dan Majerle, 2nd Team All-Defensive; Richard Dumas, 2nd Team All-Rookie; Jerry Colangelo; Executive of the Year
ALL-STARS - Coach Paul Westphal, Charles Barkley (starter), Dan Majerle
TOP MOMENTS - Westphal guarantees a comeback vs. the Lakers in first round; Barkley has huge game 7 against Seattle in Western Conference Finals

2020-21 - 51-21, 1st in Pacific Division (2nd best in NBA)
PLAYOFF OPPONENTS - LA Lakers (42-30); Denver (47-25); LA Clippers (47-25); Atlanta (41-31) or Milwaukee (46-26)
THE COACH - Monty Williams (2nd year); Randy Ayers, Mark Bryant, Willie Green & Brian Randle, Assistant Coaches
STARTERS - Deandre Ayton, C; Jae Crowder, PF; Mikal Bridges, SF; Devin Booker, SG; Chris Paul, PG
KEY RESERVES - Cameron Johnson, PF/SF; Cameron Payne, PG/SG; Dario Sarić, PF/C; Torey Craig, SF/PF
ACCOLADES - Chris Paul, 2nd Team All-NBA; James Jones, Executive of the Year
ALL-STARS - Chris Paul, Devin Booker (replaced due to injury)
TOP MOMENTS - Ayton's dunk wins pivotal game against Clippers; Paul scores 31 2nd half points to eliminate Clippers
Last edited by The Bobster on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:10 pm
2020-21 - 51-21, 1st in Pacific Division (2nd best in NBA)
ACCOLADES - Chris Paul, 2nd Team All-NBA; James Jones, Executive of the Year
NBCA COTY Award doesn’t merit mention?

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

The Bobster wrote:

STARTERS - Alvan Adams, C; Curtis Perry, PF; Gar Heard, SF, Paul Westphal, SG; Ricky Sobers, PG
ACCOLADES - Alvan Adams, Rookie of the Year, All-Rookie Team; Jerry Colangelo, Executive of the Year
ALL-STARS - None
TOP MOMENTS - Heard blocks Jamal Wilkes in Western Conference Finals to preserve win, Heard makes buzzer-beater to send game 5 of NBA Finals to 3rd overtime
Alvan Adams was also named to the All-Star game that year, his only career selection.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

BKinSJC wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:01 pm
The Bobster wrote:

ALL-STARS - None
Alvan Adams was also named to the All-Star game that year, his only career selection.

Totally forgot that one.

As for Monty Williams' Coach of the Year award, it wasn't awarded by the NBA so I didn't include it (like the NBA Players Association awards)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695