GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 5 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS SATURDAY, 7/17/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 5 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS SATURDAY, 7/17/2021

Post by djy2j »

Had to watch the game in a room full of people with no volume.

I don’t understand how when Giannis went up to block Booker and hit him in the face and chest, that wasn’t a flagrant foul. I get that the play was dead from Tuckers foul but why is he allowed a free hit on Booker like that with no repercussions?

They then whistled the ball dead again on the next play and Crowder drained a 3 that didn’t count.

The fucking refs have not only been awful but they continually have impeccable timing to kill Phoenix momentum with poor judgement time and time again.

Suns weren’t the same after that series of plays IMO.

Then the Bucks went on to shoot like 75% the rest of the game. Truly hard to watch as a Suns fan.

Let’s hope the team isn’t as deflated as I am thinking about it.

Suns in 7
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JJ Slim

Re: GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 5 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS SATURDAY, 7/17/2021

Post by JJ Slim »

djy2j wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:56 am
Had to watch the game in a room full of people with no volume.

I don’t understand how when Giannis went up to block Booker and hit him in the face and chest, that wasn’t a flagrant foul. I get that the play was dead from Tuckers foul but why is he allowed a free hit on Booker like that with no repercussions?

They then whistled the ball dead again on the next play and Crowder drained a 3 that didn’t count.

The fucking refs have not only been awful but they continually have impeccable timing to kill Phoenix momentum with poor judgement time and time again.

Suns weren’t the same after that series of plays IMO.

Then the Bucks went on to shoot like 75% the rest of the game. Truly hard to watch as a Suns fan.

Let’s hope the team isn’t as deflated as I am thinking about it.

Suns in 7
I was thinking the same thing. That was 5+ pts we would have had at at time when it would have shifted the momentum back to us.

A few other thoughts:
1. I know there was a large disparity of fouls called on the Bucks in game 1 and I would rather the refs let them play but it seems like now if the Suns even get close to a Bucks they call a foul but the Suns get hammered repeatedly and no call. This has been going on for at least the last 3 games. It seems to happen a lot when the Suns get a steal or right after a strong defensive stand.

2. I thought Ayton was a beast in game 1 and that he was the key to that game. But it seems like ever since he got into foul trouble in game 3 (see my point #1) he has seemed timid and not sure of himself. You can see it in his face and eyes and the way he handles the ball. He wants to get rid of it as fast as possible and ends up getting it stripped or fumbling. I'm sure this is part of the Bucks adjustments and plan.

3. What is it with Payne (or maybe Bridges, or both) getting the ball near the corner for a wide open 3 and making it but stepping out of bounds. This has happened over and over again. I know it can happen but NOT THAT OFTEN! WTF? Once again a momentum breaker.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:35 am
They got better with tighter defense…sometimes you just get beat…that’s kinda what happened last night. Sure, some stuff we can improve, but we win any other game this series with how we played last night. Just took the Bucks biggest punch I think.
Like Tyson famously said, everybody has a plan until you get punched in the face. That was our face punch. Let's respond with our own and bring it back to Phoenix for the deciding game.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

They gave us their best shot. Let's give it back to them.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't bring myself to read this thread right now, but I will go back and do that once I can mellow a bit.

The first and 4th quarters were the loudest thing I have ever been to. My son and I were plugging our ears as we were yelling. The 2nd quarter really quieted the crowd, understandably so.

I know the stats look good, but man it felt like Ayton was sleepwalking through the game. Fumbling passes, not boxing out, not running back on defense (or offense). It was like regular season Ayton. Ugh.

And did our defense look bad in the 3rd/4th Q? I thought it looked pretty good in person, but they were hitting shot after shot after shot. Really great performance by the Bucks. Half the team was on fire.

Anyway, maybe I will post more later. But I REALLY hope I get to use my Game 7 tickets to watch a game for the ages.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:42 pm
I can't bring myself to read this thread right now, but I will go back and do that once I can mellow a bit.

The first and 4th quarters were the loudest thing I have ever been to. My son and I were plugging our ears as we were yelling. The 2nd quarter really quieted the crowd, understandably so.

I know the stats look good, but man it felt like Ayton was sleepwalking through the game. Fumbling passes, not boxing out, not running back on defense (or offense). It was like regular season Ayton. Ugh.

And did our defense look bad in the 3rd/4th Q? I thought it looked pretty good in person, but they were hitting shot after shot after shot. Really great performance by the Bucks. Half the team was on fire.

Anyway, maybe I will post more later. But I REALLY hope I get to use my Game 7 tickets to watch a game for the ages.
According to Twitter it was the lowest expected fg% we’ve held a team to all post season…and the highest actual fg% we’ve given up…so that seems to indicate we played great defense and the bucks just hit ridiculous shots.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:45 pm
Since 1993, it has been one thing or another that kills the team as favorites. Paxson's 3 pointer. Being up on eventual champions Houston 3-1 two years in a row and then blowing it both years. Joe Johnson breaking his face against eventual champion San Antonio in 2004. Amare blowing out his knee. Tim Donoughey actively point shaving against the Suns and costing them wins against eventual champion San Antonio. David Stern suspending Amare and Diaw for getting off the bench while not suspending Duncan and Manu for the same and the Suns lose the pivotal game 5 against eventual champion San Antonio. Suns losing against eventual champion Dallas after Raja Bell is hurt and the 7 man rotation goes down to 6. Ron Artest getting the lucky bounce off the shot clock on a 3 for eventual champion LA Lakers to close out the Suns.

Add 2021 to the list, being up 2-0 on eventual champion Milwaukee before choking and losing 4 games straight? Let's find out but I'm going to expect it, only way it would hurt less.
Yeah we've had some crap luck. I will add to that list (although I think these were all regular season):
1. Dallas' Danny Fortson intentionally taking out an up and coming Zarko Cabarkapa and effectively ruining him
2. Randy Livingston accidentally taking out Tom Gugliotta's knee (I think this was about a year after his seizure on the team bus from a herbal supplement)
3. Danny Manning blowing out his knee during a practice game.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Zarko just wasn’t that good, and it’s not because Fortson broke his wrist.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:19 am
Some think Fortson broke his will to play NBA basketball.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:21 am
Cap wrote:
If his will to play was broken by that, it wasn’t a strong will in the first place.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:21 am
Cap wrote:
If his will to play was broken by that, it wasn’t a strong will in the first place.
Yeah if your will to play in the NBA is only as strong as your wrist, you aren't going to make it.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Say what you want about Ayton but:

In the 45 minutes with Ayton on the floor, the Suns were a +6.

In the 3 minutes without Ayton, the Suns were -10.

Without Saric, we can't afford to sit Ayton at all. But I don't know if he can play 48 minutes. It could be bad injury luck dooming the Suns once again.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Agree … I’d rather Ayton fumble a pass or two than we go all iso / hero ball and brick shots..

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I wouldn't mind if he had even 30% of Giannis' "force" though.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

fumbling 1 or 2 passes is something that you can forgive. Getting boxed out by Connaughton on the regular is not. Jogging back on defense when your guy is ahead of you, is not. Not working to seal your guy when you have Jrue or Pat or even Middleton on you, is not. He just needs to be better in Game 6 if we have a chance to win. We can't win when he is a non-factor or only a factor on one side of the court.