Game Day: NBA Finals Edition — Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Tuesday 7/20/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day: NBA Finals Edition — Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Tuesday 7/20/2021

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:09 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:52 pm
Milwaukee was just a bad matchup for them.

You didn't want Ayton to have to try to guard Giannis the entire game, but that's what it basically came down to because of need. Anybody else they tried didn't work and Ayton couldn't do much with him either.
How much of this was Giannis (and I do respect his talent), and how much of it was officiating?

Either way, props to him for making his FTs tonight.
90/10 with Giannis as the 90. He's the hardest guy to officiate since Shaq, but he made a shit ton of defensive plays that had nothing to do with the officials.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Re: Game Day: NBA Finals Edition — Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Tuesday 7/20/2021

Post by SunsRIt »

Giannis intimidated the hell out of Ayton tonight. And many other Suns after those blocks early.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:16 pm
Giannis intimidated the hell out of Ayton tonight. And many other Suns after those blocks early.
If we're going by Monty's 'force' metric, Giannis was a particle accelerator and Ayton was a toilet plunger.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

You didn't want Ayton to have to try to guard Giannis the entire game, but that's what it basically came down to because of need. Anybody else they tried didn't work and Ayton couldn't do much with him either.
How much of this was Giannis (and I do respect his talent), and how much of it was officiating?

He did lead the league in FTA this year. And he finished second in FTA in 2019-20 and 2018-19.

So it's mostly him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:24 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:16 pm
If we're going by Monty's 'force' metric, Giannis was a particle accelerator and Ayton was a toilet plunger.
Are you saying that the next time I clog my toilet, that I should give Ayton a call?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:24 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

He did lead the league in FTA this year. And he finished second in FTA in 2019-20 and 2018-19.

So it's mostly him.
Not to take anything away, he’s a great and unique player. They officiate him incredibly different. It’s not even close. The play where Crowder got bowled over a few games ago and it was a foul on Crowder. Every time he winds up like a high jumper and plows to the rim, doesn’t even have to keep dribbling. I saw one play where I counted 4 steps after the dribble. All that is incredibly advantageous to him. And when you do stop him or cause him to contort his body it’s a foul. Suns played him great. Better than most. They were penalized for doing so though. So I don’t agree that he doesn’t get plenty of advantages.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

:( :( :(

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Great season. Hate that Scott Foster was there to end it. He didn’t cost us 4 losses but it’s always the most fuckery occurring on his watch. Countless times during his games where I was yelling WHAT!?!

Watched every game with a Raptors fan and he couldn’t believe some of the shit he was seeing.

We are still Western Conference Champs. Scott Donaghy cant take that from us.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Two bad omens for this team in the 2021 Finals.

They didn't wear purple once. That's fucking sacrilege in my book.

I started the Game 3 thread and we know how games 3-6 went. That would've taken me months to get over in my younger years. Luckily I've been around long enough to not let it get to me anymore. :lol:

Split T

Post by Split T »

We lost because Giannis was far and away the best player on the court. He single handedly beat us tonight. That was an absolutely historic performance. Just left it all out there. Happy for him…just hate that he had to win it against us.

Not trying to make excuses, but I’m not going to be surprised if CP3 has to have surgery in the offseason. He was mostly ok this series, but just didn’t seem to have that takeover ability we saw from time to time. Maybe it was exhaustion, but I think the injuries just added up on him. The uncharacteristic turnovers are the biggest indicator.

Also think Ayton ran out of steam. He was awesome all playoffs and felt more like regular season Ayton in the finals. Maybe that was just Giannis though. Book didn’t have it tonight either.. we could have used him.

It was kind of a weird game…Giannis clearly stepped up for Milwaukee and no one really did for us. Tough way to go out. Short offseason at least…I’m ready to go for it again.
Last edited by Split T on Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Almost. But not quite. Just like the story of the entire Suns franchise history.

I wasn't really anxious at all after Game 4. I kinda just knew that it was over after that.

It was probably asking too much to win the Finals in their first postseason run. I just wish they hadn't gone up 2-0 to get our hopes up like that.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:03 pm
Almost. But not quite. Just like the story of the entire Suns franchise history.

I wasn't really anxious at all after Game 4. I kinda just knew that it was over after that.
Game 5 was that for me…I don’t think I ever really thought we were going to win tonight

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Didn't expect it to be a pretty game
Close outs are tough especially for teams who haven't been there so like I said felt we would have our chances tonight

Unreal performance from Giannis

I have been commenting more on Book than The Twins during the Finals because he's our Star and I really wanted him to show his stuff on the biggest stage. Was unfortunate he struggled tonight so will be a long summer for me trying to avoid all the silly chatter

Really happy with Monty but I saw most of the 2nd quarter and all of the 4th. I know CP3 has to be compromised but that double screen we were running with Jae n DA was working and I didn't see it run once in the 4th. Even tho CP3 was missing some of his pullups we were getting our best looks off that set

Either way, the guys battled man
It's rough to lose 4 straight tho
Bummer
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Paul had a couple of looks from 3 in the 4th quarter that I kept wishing he would take. He was the only one shooting well for us tonight and he was 1-2 from three.

But if just one other player besides CP3 had been able to step we would have won. It's incredible how close it was, looking at the box score.

Booker was 0-7 from three, 6 turnovers, 5 assists, 19 points on 36% FG.

Ayton 4-12, Crowder 4-11 (2-9 from 3), Cam Johnson 1-5.

If any one of those hit a few more shots, we win.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 pm
Paul had a couple of looks from 3 in the 4th quarter that I kept wishing he would take. He was the only one shooting well for us tonight and he was 1-2 from three.

But if just one other player besides CP3 had been able to step we would have won. It's incredible how close it was, looking at the box score.

Booker was 0-7 from three, 6 turnovers, 5 assists, 19 points on 36% FG.

Ayton 4-12, Crowder 4-11 (2-9 from 3), Cam Johnson 1-5.

If any one of those hit a few more shots, we win.
Yup after running that set play for Jae when he got the 4pt play I was glad to see the ball find him on a couple more open looks later in the quarter
I really thought he was gonna hit them...
Sigh
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think if we just scored more and stopped them more we would have had a better chance of winning. I kid.

Giannis is a handful for sure. He reminds me a little of Amare, only bigger, more athletic and more aggressive if that’s possible. I am kind of glad Ayton got to play against a dominating big guy and get humiliated over and over trying to stop him. Giannis doesn’t put up soft lay ins around the basket. He dunks the ball with ferocity. He doesn’t avoid contact, he seeks it out as he goes around you. His strides are so long he can practically Euro from half court.

The Suns went further than anyone on planet earth predicted at the start of the season. They won two games in the Finals. That’s better than any other Suns team. For most of the team it was their first trip to ANY playoff game and to make it to the Finals? That’s pretty awesome! They learned a lot of valuable lessons and gained playoff experience. It’s going to be real hard for them to repeat a trip to the Finals. Just keep learning and getting better.

Thank you Suns for a crazy fun year. Too bad you came up just short of winning it all. Now you have a taste of winning. Let’s see what James Jones comes up with.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This title was right there for the taking. The Bucks are a very good team, but they are beatable. All we had to do was play our best, the way we are capable of playing. And we gave it away. I don't know when we are going to get this close again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

phatmike wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm
Well, can't ask for more I suppose. Tied going into the fourth.
Yep. It all came down to the last quarter. I think our youth finally caught up to us. That and Crowder couldn’t hit a wide open three to save his life.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:36 pm
phatmike wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm
Well, can't ask for more I suppose. Tied going into the fourth.
Yep. It all came down to the last quarter. I think our youth finally caught up to us. That and Crowder couldn’t hit a wide open three to save his life.
I think you've mistaken him for Devin Booker.