The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Indy »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:15 pm
Here's some guys I think the Suns should look at in the offseason. All PF/C's of course.

Enes Kanter (POR) UFA, Jarrett Allen (CLE) RFA, Andre Drummond (LAL) UFA, Dwight Howard (PHI) UFA, Mitchell Robinson (NYK) RFA ,
JaVale McGee (DEN) UFA

Those are my choices for guys that have a chance to be here next season. Suns need more size, plain and simple. Thoughts ?
If Kanter or McGee would take the money we have for Dario's injury, I would love to have either. Not sure that gets it done, though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap will correct me if I'm wrong...thankfully. I think the Suns will have the MLE, BAE, and injury exception which could fall between them available. Is that right?

I agree with Uncle_Gene that the Suns need more size. McGee would be a very nice backup center. I would see if they could make a trade and take a flyer on resurrecting Bagley's career, by bringing him home and allow Monty, Jones and Bryant's tutelage to guide his talent out of him. I would also try to even trade for Lonzo Ball, if that's even possible as the backup PG(I know this may be a hot button thought though).
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I'd target McGee first, and maybe Dwight Howard second. Either one of those guys would bring size and defense at the C spot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure Monty wants to deal with Howard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:51 pm
I am not sure Monty wants to deal with Howard.
Nor do I. In Jones I trust though. Let’s see what he does.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Oh man, we've had it good for a nice long stretch that I forgot how ridiculous some rosterbating ideas could be.

Drummond or Howard? I just threw up my breakfast.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It’s actually really nice to have a short off-season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 pm
It’s actually really nice to have a short off-season.
these 10 weeks are going to feel LONG

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think we should do whatever it takes to bring Larry Nance Jr here. I think if the Cavs draft Mobley, Nance becomes more expendable.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm
I think we should do whatever it takes to bring Larry Nance Jr here. I think if the Cavs draft Mobley, Nance becomes more expendable.
Now that's a winning idea. Unfortunately the Cavs appear to be a pain in the ass to deal with because they seem to have no issue with being terrible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Book is probably gonna recruit Mcgee. I think that makes sense barring any grand slam Trade or creative signing that’ll happen.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm
Sign me up…Nance would be awesome

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Here's some guys I think the Suns should look at in the offseason. All PF/C's of course.

Enes Kanter (POR) UFA, Jarrett Allen (CLE) RFA, Andre Drummond (LAL) UFA, Dwight Howard (PHI) UFA, Mitchell Robinson (NYK) RFA ,
JaVale McGee (DEN) UFA

Those are my choices for guys that have a chance to be here next season. Suns need more size, plain and simple. Thoughts ?
I love the idea of adding Jarrett Allen.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

There is the possibility that some players might be willing to come to Phoenix for less now that we are a contender.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Folster

Post by Folster »

I'm interested in seeing if Jalen Smith can develop this offseason. Rookies, especially rookie bigs were really disadvantaged by the late draft, shortened offseason and Covid restrictions. He has the tools, it's just a matter if he can adjust mentally and get strong enough.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:47 pm
Uncle_Gene wrote:

JaVale McGee (DEN) UFA

I love the idea of adding Jarrett Allen.
I see no chance we can afford Allen. I would love to get creative and trade Saric and Carter to free space to sign him. Mitchell Robinson or Larry Nance would be nice, but really we need a legitimate backup 5.

I have zero interest in Kanter. We’re in desperate need of some athleticism in the front court.

I don’t want to see Carter on this roster next season. We need a legit backup SG and we can’t afford his charity contract

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mitchell Robinson is a legitimate backup center, but I highly doubt that the Knicks let him walk or trade him for little in return.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Could we convince Big Sauce to come back? Why the hell did we let him leave, again?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Uncle_Gene wrote:

JaVale McGee (DEN) UFA

I think Montrezl Harrell is likely to opt out and leave LA, after those playoffs DNP’s. If we have something on Stix, pairing him with Harell would give us shooting, size and power, although he is about the same size than Crowder, but stronger.

Not sure if Jarret Allen is available, but if Cleveland keeps him, perhaps they put Nance Jr on sale. And to round up that list, with Horford back in Boston, they might listen offers for Tristan Thompson. If I’m Jones, that would be my first call, as they were teammates back in the day.

A Richaun Holmes homecoming would be great as well, mixed up with Ayton, Crowder, CamJ and Stix.

And now that we are wishing nice, a Paul, Booker, Dinwiddie and Payne rotation would be great if Spencer regain his level.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

We can make tweaks around the central fact that everything depends on DeAndre Ayton. Will he top out as a slightly better DeAndre Jordan? Or will he continue growing into what he could be, a combination of Ewing's power and Garnett's ability and ability to defend the perimeter? Everything else will be secondary to this central fact.

But let's say that he can make the jump. Then, we need to see if Smith is a player, as he would be perfect for filling the hole at 4/5 if he could play.

The other player to watch is Bridges. Can he take a jump like Middleton earlier in his career? If yes, the Suns are set at the wing with Cam Johnson being a perfect elite role player. If not, I wonder if he becomes a trade piece.

Regardless, rsign CP3 and Payne and go from there.