The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by The Bobster »

Shamet has a 56% eFG% for his career, compared to Carter's 50%, so you have to look a little deeper than just FG%.

As much as I like Carter he was a player without a position since he really isn't a point guard. They tied it both years he was here and it just didn't work.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shamet's got better size and plays with a better head/IQ. Carter was also better at creating his own shot I think, which didn't really fit with the flow of the offense. Shamet can be a knockdown 3pt shooter when the ball is swung. I think he struggled with the Nets playing off their stars.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There's talk that Dwight Powell and Willy CS will be sent to Toronto for Dragic and that Dallas would need compensation for taking on Powell.

I'd look to jump in there and flip Dario for Powell. We'd be giving the Raptors about $2M in salary relief annually, plus whatever insurance savings they'd get and the DPE (if it carries over in a trade).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shamet almost exclusively shoots 3s, so that brings his overall % down. He is not good at 2s though…neither is Carter. Shamet has the higher TS%

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:56 am
The more I look at Landry Shamet, the more doubtful I become. His shooting was pretty poor last year, just .408 FG%. And that's pretty representative of his whole career. By contrast, Jevon Carter actually shoots a better overall percentage and is probably a much better defender. And Carter worked his ass off, was liked by the rest of the team, and was a good sport about not getting consistent minutes. Maybe we should have just kept and played Carter instead?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ela01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... eje01.html
Shamet is a better shooter. He's always been at least ~38% from 3, on high volume. The reason his overall FG% is lower is that he shoots 9.5 FGAs/gm and 7.5 of them are 3s.

Jevon is a much more tenacious defender. But he is also really small. And having both him and Chris be not quite/barely 6 feet tall is a problem. And we weren't going to change out Paul.

(also, this deal saves us a few million dollars...)

Indy

Post by Indy »

lol I didn't see this last page before responding...

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:56 am
The more I look at Landry Shamet, the more doubtful I become. His shooting was pretty poor last year, just .408 FG%. And that's pretty representative of his whole career. By contrast, Jevon Carter actually shoots a better overall percentage and is probably a much better defender. And Carter worked his ass off, was liked by the rest of the team, and was a good sport about not getting consistent minutes. Maybe we should have just kept and played Carter instead?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ela01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... eje01.html
He shot 46% on two pointers last year. Look at EFG%, not FG% overall.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Yay.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Frank is perfectly acceptable as your 14th or 15th man - a good teammate, a good shooter and passer, just not somebody you want to count on for important minutes like we had to in the playoffs.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm good with it. He loves Phoenix and Monty really likes him. He knows his role, can play in a pinch.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

I think they plan on using Cam Johnson some at the 4 with McGree/Ayton at the 5. Thats still a much better option than last year.

Kaminsky is the insurance for injuries/fouls. I dont think they want to risk luxury tax over the next couple of years for an additional big.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

They still have two roster spots. I imagine one will go to a forward, one will go to a guard. Probably a big forward and point guard.

SF - Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdul Nader
PF - Jae Crowder, Jalen Smith, Dario Sarić [IL]
C - Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee, Frank Kaminsky
SG - Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
PG - Chris Paul, Cameron Payne

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:38 am
If the third string Center position really matters then this roster has a Jalen Smith problem.
He is an x-factor of sorts and we need to know what we have in him. He would solve a lot of problems for us if he can show he's ready for some minutes.

I like Hartenstein's skillset, just not sure why he hasn't stuck anywhere yet.

We've put an emphasis on shooting throughout the roster so I'm not sure we look at guys like Exum or Chiozza.
I assume Smith is playing on our Summer league team? BTW, all games televised. We start Sunday on ESPN 2 at 7:30 PT.
"Be Legendary."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am
They still have two roster spots. I imagine one will go to a forward, one will go to a guard. Probably a big forward and point guard.

PF - Jae Crowder, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith, Frank Kaminsky
Bolded changes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:21 am
Yay.
Hold your excitement back a little, buddy!
"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Kaminsky should be your 11th or 12th man. If he's in the rotation, something has gone horribly wrong.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:10 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:06 pm
Markkanen?
He would be really good in our system. Plus, he has some familiarity playing with Ayton I think at the UofA?
Ayton got there right after Markkanen was drafted. But yeah I would love Markkanen at PF (much more so than Millsap). You would think if he wanted to come here he could convince Chicago to let him sign.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:39 am
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am

PF - Jae Crowder, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith, Frank Kaminsky
Bolded changes.
Not sure about the Frank change, but yeah, Cam played +90% of his time at the 4. He spent as much time at the 5 as he did at the 3.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Frank started next to Ayton for part of the season, and he can hit the three, so he can definitely play PF. But I would still prefer to add a PF, unless Smith is ready to shine.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.