Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:05 am
The internet and computers have been awesome and has changed the way everything works now. It has been great for thieves too that know how to manipulate those things. In the past couple of years things like this scam, ransomware, identity theft, fake propaganda asking for money and scam calls claiming to be IRS etc. have really taken off. At this point in time I just assume everyone I come in contact with is trying to scam me.
It feels like it was designed that way, Dack.
You mean the software? Designed to allow hackers access? The Federal checks were just sent to everyone weren’t they? The States were the ones where you filed for unemployment and filled out the lengthy application updated weekly. I was on it for awhile. I had never filed for unemployment before but, since I was a gig worker and there were no gigs I signed up. They asked for 10-99’s from all my employers. I suppose each state did their own thing and hired their own software designers.

I think we as a country/world need to figure out how to secure our data. It sounds like hackers today can break into anything they want and there is almost nothing we can do about it. Change your 72 passwords often and never use the same one twice is very annoying. I have an app for my passwords with a password.
Not the hacking, per se. Just the entire COVID bail out. It was needed, but there were so few checks and balances over where the money was going, it was a free-for-all for anyone that really wanted it and had the means to get it. Instead of going to the people that didn't have the means to get it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh, and as part of it, my identity was stolen and used to file a bogus unemployment claim in AZ. I would have never known about it, except my company called me. They said, hey, we know we didn't lay you off, but AZ is saying we did and someone filed a claim for benefits. You might want to fill out this form for AZ letting them know you didn't file and someone stole your ID. Fun times. Great to deal with that on top of everything else this last year has thrown at me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:32 am
I also get a lot of texts from people wanting to buy my home. They usually say my name and address in the text. 90% of the time the address and name are wrong. I just go to info and block that number.

“Your Netflix account will be locked because your payment was declined”

I don’t have Netflix.

“More Biden strings being pulled by his dark money donors- this time it is the teacher unions and the CDC "science" on school closings. Get the truth here> https://americansforpublictrust.org
-Americans for Public Trust”

“I'm Jim Lamon. I'm running for U.S. Senate in Arizona to stop the liberal insanity. Will you chip in Sue and join my campaign? http://act.gop/J
I block them as well but they keep coming with different numbers and they almost all have the same area code as my phone number.

"A Boy Named Sue"

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We had +158k cases yesterday and +1055 deaths. We're just about back to the bad old days of the peak we saw around Dec / Jan. The sad thing is, this time it is almost entirely preventable. We have vaccines, we know how to stop the virus. People (mostly Republicans and yokels in red states) just aren't willing to do it. Very sad. I don't have much sympathy for ignorant people who squander their own lives, but they also endanger my kids and everybody else along with them.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:58 am
We had +158k cases yesterday and +1055 deaths. We're just about back to the bad old days of the peak we saw around Dec / Jan. The sad thing is, this time it is almost entirely preventable. We have vaccines, we know how to stop the virus. People (mostly Republicans and yokels in red states) just aren't willing to do it. Very sad. I don't have much sympathy for ignorant people who squander their own lives, but they also endanger my kids and everybody else along with them.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
The collective IQ of people I’m seeing now with it is very low aside from the unfortunate ones who are breakthrough vaccinated cases

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The fact that so many school districts are going back to class for the fall without mask mandates or vaccine mandates is unconscionable. Kids will die, and it will be on their hands. It's especially ridiculous that some of these GOP governors are trying to ban mask mandates in their state. I thought conservatives were the party of personal choice and letting people / businesses do what they want? I thought they were the "pro-life" party?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s almost to the point where Cons will start arresting people with masks on and Dems arresting people without masks.

America F Yeah!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:19 am
It’s almost to the point where Cons will start arresting people with masks on and Dems arresting people without masks.

America F Yeah!
The Republicans will probably just shoot the people they disagree with rather than trying to arrest them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The whole thing is so dumb. I am so Unproud to be an American at this point in time. America lost it’s sanity. That’s where someone chimes in and tells me to leave if I don’t like it. I have no plans to leave as of yet. I am starting to consider it though. Not sure what country would be any saner though.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Every place has it's issues. Utopia doesn't exist. But most first-world nations have three things going for them that the US doesn't.

1. Affordable healthcare
2. Far less drug abuse and/or a more reasonable form of treatment for addiction
3. FAR LESS gun violence
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Just watched Racheal Maddow. 70% of the calls coming into 911 in Mississippi have been related to ingestion of Ivermectin a horse dewormer purchased at livestock centers. Why? Fox News has been reporting that it cures Covid and the evil US government was trying to keep it from them.

They won’t take a vaccine because they don’t trust the government but, they will injest horse dewormer because Hannity says it’s ok. Mississippi’s hospitals are all full.

Cap

Post by Cap »

70% of all 911 calls? That’s unbelievable.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:34 pm
I guess that was 70% of calls coming into poison control not 9/11.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mississippi-o ... d=79569021

The Mississippi Health Department also issued an alert Friday to health care providers in the state regarding the increase in poison control calls due to potential ivermectin toxicity.

"At least 70% of the recent calls have been related to ingestion of livestock or animal formulations of ivermectin purchased at livestock supply centers," stated the alert, which did not specify the number of total calls.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:52 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:34 pm
I guess that was 70% of calls coming into poison control not 9/11.
More believable.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Former President Donald Trump was booed at a rally on Saturday in Alabama after telling supporters they should get vaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/22/trump-b ... nated.html

“And you know what? I believe totally in your freedoms. I do. You’ve got to do what you have to do,” Trump said. “But, I recommend: take the vaccines. I did it. It’s good. Take the vaccines.”

Some boos rang out from the rally crowd, who were largely maskless.

“No, that’s okay. That’s all right. You got your freedoms,” Trump said, echoing rhetoric from opponents of mask and vaccine mandates. “But I happen to take the vaccine. If it doesn’t work, you’ll be the first to know. Okay? I’ll call up Alabama, I’ll say, hey, you know what? But [the vaccine] is working. But you do have your freedoms you have to keep. You have to maintain that.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:23 pm
Former President Donald Trump was booed at a rally on Saturday in Alabama after telling supporters they should get vaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/22/trump-b ... nated.html

“And you know what? I believe totally in your freedoms. I do. You’ve got to do what you have to do,” Trump said. “But, I recommend: take the vaccines. I did it. It’s good. Take the vaccines.”

Some boos rang out from the rally crowd, who were largely maskless.

“No, that’s okay. That’s all right. You got your freedoms,” Trump said, echoing rhetoric from opponents of mask and vaccine mandates. “But I happen to take the vaccine. If it doesn’t work, you’ll be the first to know. Okay? I’ll call up Alabama, I’ll say, hey, you know what? But [the vaccine] is working. But you do have your freedoms you have to keep. You have to maintain that.”
ABOUT TIME! A little late, buddy.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He has said it before. I think they thought he was speaking code for “don’t get a vaccine” when he said “get the vaccine”.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:48 pm
He has said it before. I think they thought he was speaking code for “don’t get a vaccine” when he said “get the vaccine”.
Some people literally said that. Said it was a test. Darwin awards are fine if they just affect you, but these people are killing so many others because they continue to let it mutate.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Apparently that monkey is smarter than half the world population. Planet of the Apes, here we come.
"Be Legendary."