The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Shabazz »

We don't have to replace him. There's nothing that says we need to use our 2-way roster spots and I could see us leaving them empty since we don't have a G-league team.

I also thought Ty-Shon was decent and worth investing in.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I have no problem with waiving Ty-Shon. He has a long way to go to be a meaningful NBA rotation player, if he ever gets there at all.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I’m not crying about this move. He could barely hang in Summer League. He took a game winner where he the ball ended up a whole two feet from the basket if it was even that close.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think this will really move the needle at all for us over the next couple years, but I won’t be surprised to see Ty-Shon turn himself into a useful piece somewhere else sometime soon. He was about as cheap as you can get and only taking up a 2-way slot that we probably won’t even use. This just feels like Sarver getting cheap over a few hundred thousand dollars. I hate it.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:42 pm
I don’t think this will really move the needle at all for us over the next couple years, but I won’t be surprised to see Ty-Shon turn himself into a useful piece somewhere else sometime soon. He was about as cheap as you can get and only taking up a 2-way slot that we probably won’t even use. This just feels like Sarver getting cheap over a few hundred thousand dollars. I hate it.
We’re gunning for the Finals again and taking on every team coming at us thinking they smell blood in the water. There isn’t time to develop youth who hasn’t a chance. No way he would have any run next year barring a tragic injury to Book. We’re in contention mode now. Anyone on the squad has to be able play meaningful minutes— at least in the regular season. Suns will need home court throughout the playoffs again to run through a healthy Jazz or Nuggets or Lakers.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:06 pm
Suns will need home court throughout the playoffs again to run through a healthy Jazz or Nuggets or Lakers.
Not worried about the Warriors?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:
We’re gunning for the Finals again and taking on every team coming at us thinking they smell blood in the water. There isn’t time to develop youth who hasn’t a chance. No way he would have any run next year barring a tragic injury to Book. We’re in contention mode now. Anyone on the squad has to be able play meaningful minutes— at least in the regular season. Suns will need home court throughout the playoffs again to run through a healthy Jazz or Nuggets or Lakers.
Similar things were likely said to justify selling the Rondo pick and trading the Iggy pick and and giving up 2 firsts for someone to take a productive Kurt Thomas.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Luckily those transactions were quickly forgotten and no one complained about them on here ever again.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:37 pm
Luckily those transactions were quickly forgotten and no one complained about them on here ever again.
True dat. This board has a short memory. We're like goldfish. :P
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not going to shame anyone's PTSD, but Ty-Shon Alexander isn't very good. That's the bottom line.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't like seeing signs of Saver being cheap, but I didn't really care about Ty-Shon Alexander. He seemed like he was never going to make it. I wish him well and was rooting for him, but I didn't really see anything out of him that made me think he would be a rotation NBA player anytime soon. Given that you can find and sign guys like Moore and Galloway and Payton just lying around every year, I don't really see the need to have a guy like Ty-Shon if he isn't making the necessary progress.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:22 am
I don't like seeing signs of Saver being cheap, but I didn't really care about Ty-Shon Alexander. He seemed like he was never going to make it. I wish him well and was rooting for him, but I didn't really see anything out of him that made me think he would be a rotation NBA player anytime soon. Given that you can find and sign guys like Moore and Galloway and Payton just lying around every year, I don't really see the need to have a guy like Ty-Shon if he isn't making the necessary progress.
Alexander was the 15th man on a good team, and a UFA. Keeping him, or letting him go, means zero. In 5 years, we'll have forgotten he exists until someone reminds us.

Like Davon Reed, Alec Peters, or DJ Strawberry.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 am
I'm not going to shame anyone's PTSD, but Ty-Shon Alexander isn't very good. That's the bottom line.
It isn't about him. 2-way spots are the cheapest spots you have, you get 2 of them each year, they don't even count against your roster spots. We didn't use them both last year, and it looks like we won't use either of them this year. And we don't have a development team. And we traded out of the draft. If this doesn't give 7SOL PTSD, I don't know what would. Maybe if Sarver comes out and shows Ayton next summer and says "this is better than a draft pick!" again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:
Similar things were likely said to justify selling the Rondo pick and trading the Iggy pick and and giving up 2 firsts for someone to take a productive Kurt Thomas.
I can't like this post enough times.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya this isn’t about whether Ty-Shon would be able to play a role for us, I wasn’t expecting that at all. But you can’t just completely ignore the developmental process. This team we currently have is going to get real expensive, real fast. If we don’t have young, cheap talent to replenish the roster, it’s going to be a short lived title window.

As others have said, Ty-Shon wasn’t even taking up a roster spot. He was on a 2-way deal. We aren’t adding another guy to his roster spot that is going to play for us. We probably won’t even use the spot.

Just imagine this roster in 2 years though…

Booker at 36 million
Paul at 30 million
Ayton at 30 million
Bridges at 25 million

120 million for 4 guys. Cameron Johnson will need to be signed that year as well and he’s getting 15-20 million a year.

That team will either desperately need young cheap talent on rookie deals or the bench will be filled with vet min contracts. We’ve basically guaranteed we won’t have any young, cheap talent, so get ready for a crappy/old bench soon.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Just enjoy the ride Split and 'Bazz. :P

Split T

Post by Split T »

Do we think there’s another move this offseason? Not counting Bridges and Ayton extensions. I’m starting to think we are done and will keep that last roster spot and our exceptions for buyout candidates during the season. That’s not the worst idea, but I would have loved to add 1 more piece(we have 2, maybe 3 exceptions left) with 1 of our exceptions and then still had the other exception come buyout time. We’d have to cut a player though and Sarver doesn’t believe in cutting guaranteed salaries.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:43 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 am
It isn't about him. 2-way spots are the cheapest spots you have, you get 2 of them each year, they don't even count against your roster spots. We didn't use them both last year, and it looks like we won't use either of them this year. And we don't have a development team. And we traded out of the draft. If this doesn't give 7SOL PTSD, I don't know what would. Maybe if Sarver comes out and shows Ayton next summer and says "this is better than a draft pick!" again.
You don't know what would? Low balling Mikal and Deandre on their extension and then telling them and everyone else that we can just wait until next year when they are UFA and we have control of matching any contract offer.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:43 am
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:
I can't like this post enough times.
Give me a break! It's not even close to the same thing.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would have understood the Tyshon move if it frees up space and money for another move like IDK MAYBE GETTING IN ON THE MARKANNEN TRADE TO LAND NANCE YOU FUCKING IDIOTS