The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Split T »

I would be so happy if we finished off this offseason with Thad Young

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:54 am
Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:11 am
Wormwood wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:09 am
We still haven't landed a replacement for Saric or Criag.

Basically, a back up power forward / center with range, or athletic stopper at 3/4 who can hit the 3.

Arguably Jalen Smith and Cam Johnson fill those roles respectively, but Smith is what he is (bad), and if either of Johnson or Craig miss and time we're really boned. (We've in better shape if Bridges gets hurt, Johnson starts and Nader back fills as back up SF). But still, that's a LOT of minutes on Craig if Bridges goes down.
Craig = Crowder?

No, I meant Craig. He turned out to be a very useful back up when Saric went down. We haven't replaced him, and Smith looks lost most of the time.
This isn't entirely true. Craig was a replacement for Pyramid Papi, who went down with injury, but is now back. Now, if they somehow get Thad Young, that is a slightly different type of player than Craig, but also a better replacement at PF.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Craig and Nader are totally different players. Craig served as a 4/5 in our offense. Nader is strictly a wing.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Young would be great. If he happens to cost us Smith, I think we should look at Juancho Hernangomez to fill our last spot.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:55 am
Craig and Nader are totally different players. Craig served as a 4/5 in our offense. Nader is strictly a wing.
Agreed. Nader is a 2/3 (primarily 3), Craig was a 3/4 tweener forward.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:19 am
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:55 am
Agreed. Nader is a 2/3 (primarily 3), Craig was a 3/4 tweener forward.
I don't think Craig ever played 3 for us, or at least not for any extended time. He was a 4/5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The lineup data on bball reference says he played 50% of his minutes at the 3…however it also says Cam Johnson spent 93% of his minutes at the 4 and those two played a lot together. I would have considered Craig the 4, but for whatever reason bball ref called Cam the 4…I wonder if they just go by height…they called Frank the center when he played alongside Ayton.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 pm
The lineup data on bball reference says he played 50% of his minutes at the 3…however it also says Cam Johnson spent 93% of his minutes at the 4 and those two played a lot together. I would have considered Craig the 4, but for whatever reason bball ref called Cam the 4…I wonder if they just go by height…they called Frank the center when he played alongside Ayton.
It is just by height. They just sort the play by play by height and that is the position they are playing for that chart.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:56 am
Wormwood wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:54 am
Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:11 am
Wormwood wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:09 am
We still haven't landed a replacement for Saric or Criag.

Basically, a back up power forward / center with range, or athletic stopper at 3/4 who can hit the 3.

Arguably Jalen Smith and Cam Johnson fill those roles respectively, but Smith is what he is (bad), and if either of Johnson or Craig miss and time we're really boned. (We've in better shape if Bridges gets hurt, Johnson starts and Nader back fills as back up SF). But still, that's a LOT of minutes on Craig if Bridges goes down.
Craig = Crowder?

No, I meant Craig. He turned out to be a very useful back up when Saric went down. We haven't replaced him, and Smith looks lost most of the time.
This isn't entirely true. Craig was a replacement for Pyramid Papi, who went down with injury, but is now back. Now, if they somehow get Thad Young, that is a slightly different type of player than Craig, but also a better replacement at PF.
I’m triggered

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:49 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:09 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:43 am
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 pm

Similar things were likely said to justify selling the Rondo pick and trading the Iggy pick and and giving up 2 firsts for someone to take a productive Kurt Thomas.
I can't like this post enough times.
Give me a break! It's not even close to the same thing.
Nobody is saying Alexander = Rondo. People are saying that it is another penny-wise, pound-foolish move that has plagued our franchise since Sarver took over, and directly led to the 10 years of misery we experienced after Nash fell off a cliff. We had built no foundation to lean upon during those years.
Maybe. But it's not even close to the impact of those other moves mentioned. Why continue to spend on somebody you have no faith in? Maybe we do sign another two way player. Let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions. Even if we don't, I don't think this move compare in any way other than it saving a little bit of money. Maybe. Unless they give another guy a chance in that slot.
The Timeline pod this week did a much better job of explaining it than I did. If you don't regularly listen, it is worth it. And if you just want the snippet around this, it is from 29 minutes to ~35 minutes.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I'm a bit disappointed with this offseason.
Lots of vets have gone to Brooklyn and LA .. amongst others... would have hoped we could have added a couple of solid guys.

I still have faith in our roster, but we need to beef up a backup PF/C before we're done.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Even though we went to the Finals in an unusually late season and we're going back to the normal schedule and start time, it still feels as though this offseason has been just as long as any other. Maybe because it was so successful yet so crushingly painful the way it ended. I'm just ready to get it started again.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not a bad guy to take a flyer on. Came out listed at 6-7 but plays a bit bigger IMO. Hasn't played a ton in the league yet, more of a 3&D swing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I read that originally as Chandler Parsons…a small WTF moment for me…Hutchison I’m cool with.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's better than Ty-Shon Alexander, so it makes sense to me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:54 pm
He's better than Ty-Shon Alexander, so it makes sense to me.
But...the sky is falling! The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!! - Many Suns pundits after Ty-Shon was let go.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well we could still have both of them

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This will make Saucy happy:

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cringe.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Chandler Hutchison is a two way contract on a player with no areas that really stand out, other than being above average rebounder for 6'6". This registers as a 1.2 on the Richter Scale: too small for any of us to even notice if it wasn't for the press release.