Around the League: Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Around the League: Off-season

Post by Nodack »

Moore, good for him. He had his moments.

Warren injured? What a shock!

Pulling for Ced, He is really trying to get his Karma in line asking those he has wronged to forgive him.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ced who, Ceballos? What happened with him? Who did he wrong?

I wish there was some way we could get Isaac from the Magic.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:12 pm

He was a jerk at a Suns basketball camp my son attended way back.
"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:38 pm
pickle wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:12 pm

He was a jerk at a Suns basketball camp my son attended way back.
Based on the picture he posted, he's at the last stage before they intubate, put him on a vent, and start the ECMO.

Only a quarter to a third of people who get put on a vent for COVID survive, and those who do usually have suffered massive damage to their lungs, and other organs (including the brain).

The man's dying slowly and painfully, and begging forgiveness. He wouldn't be saying this if he didn't know he was in deep trouble. That's the odd thing with COVID patients: some docs I know have taken to calling them the talking dead: they remain lucid days or weeks before their deaths, even though the organ damage has basically guaranteed there's no way they'll make it.

Take it as an apology.

And please get vaccinated.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Suns G league team? We are trying to establish ourselves as Mexico’s team.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:42 am

Suns G league team? We are trying to establish ourselves as Mexico’s team.
They already save them on uniforms design with the Aztec concept :D

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Another example of Duane Rankin's "stellar" reporting: https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 326757002/ The article starts off with: "Prayers are being answered for Cedric Ceballos. The former Phoenix Suns forward tweeted Monday that he's out of intensive care as [???] he tested positive for COVID-19."

I thought that sounded great until I actually went to Ceballos' Twitter and found that what he actually tweeted was: "I am out of isolation, due to not having covid, but still in ICU" and (as quoted later in the article): "I still CAN NOT breathe, walk or function on my own yet"

So it doesn't sound like there's necessarily been any improvement, it's just that he's no longer contagious.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:41 pm
Another example of Duane Rankin's "stellar" reporting: https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 326757002/ The article starts off with: "Prayers are being answered for Cedric Ceballos. The former Phoenix Suns forward tweeted Monday that he's out of intensive care as [???] he tested positive for COVID-19."

I thought that sounded great until I actually went to Ceballos' Twitter and found that what he actually tweeted was: "I am out of isolation, due to not having covid, but still in ICU" and (as quoted later in the article): "I still CAN NOT breathe, walk or function on my own yet"

So it doesn't sound like there's necessarily been any improvement, it's just that he's no longer contagious.
Rooting for Ced, and hoping that his example (and that of others like him) urges others to get vaccinated. Be safe out there, people.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sounds like the John Wall era in Houston is already nearing its end.

How exactly do you deal with a 2-year, $91 million contract without a huge buyout? What a mess.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am
Sounds like the John Wall era in Houston is already nearing its end.

How exactly do you deal with a 2-year, $91 million contract without a huge buyout? What a mess.
You take back a bunch of expiring deals for guys that likely won't play at all this year? idk the guy isn't worth 20M a year playing how he has the last few seasons. That 15% trade kicker really helped him out. I can't believe he has a 47M player option for next year. There is no way he isn't using that option.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What does this mean for Bridges? Is he worth more or less than Gordon?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think we're looking at 90-100 for Mikal at least.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

😬

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he’ll get 4/100. After Rozier got 4/97 and AG got 4/92…Bridges is better than both of them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think that's a fair price, assuming that Mikal keeps working on his game and improving. If he thinks he's made it and stops adding to his arsenal of moves and shots, that will end up being an overpay. I hope he's working on his shooting and ballhandling this offseason.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know if it's actual skillset vs mentality/instinct. I don't think he's a naturally aggressive scorer and I don't necessarily see him being a go-to/shot creator alongside CP and Book. I think he's a great roleplayer who can score efficiently, but Cam might have more offensive upside.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I expect Mikal to score twice as much off the dribble this year compared to last.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 am
I expect Mikal to score twice as much off the dribble this year compared to last.
A 100% increase is probably unreasonable, but he did it so rarely last season that maybe just twice a game will meet your expectation.

He doesn't have the ball handling skills to reliably break down his defender in 1v1 situations, so I think that's where we should be looking for improvement first. If he can get to his spots or not shy away from contact at the rim, then I'll expect his PPG to increase.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 am
A 100% increase is probably unreasonable, but he did it so rarely last season that maybe just twice a game will meet your expectation.

He doesn't have the ball handling skills to reliably break down his defender in 1v1 situations, so I think that's where we should be looking for improvement first. If he can get to his spots or not shy away from contact at the rim, then I'll expect his PPG to increase.
I think we will be surprised at how often he is able to get his man to close out too much/fast and he will take that dribble or two and put up a mid-range shot.

47% of his shots came from 3
28% at the rim

Only 11% came from 10' to 3P, but he shot really well from there. I think that is where we will see an increase.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sources: NBA players won't be required to get COVID-19 vaccination
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/322 ... accination