Around the League: Preseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Around the League: Preseason

Post by Mori Chu »

Thought we could use a new fresh Around the League thread since the old one says "offseason" and has dozens of pages of posts.

I have been enjoying the preseason already. Suns looked pretty good yesterday in their second game, the first one I've gotten to see. I really like the McGee and Shamet additions so far, and our core guys largely look fresh and ready to pick up where they left off.

In terms of other teams, there are some good games on TV today. Bucks/Nets is on at 4:30pm Pacific and Lakers/Warriors is on after that at 7pm Pacific. There's also a Clips/Mavs game.

I notice that the Warriors are already starting to get new injuries. Their new rookie Kuminga strained his knee and will be out at least a week:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/323 ... lla-tendon

What have you guys been seeing in the preseason so far? Any teams you like? Have you noticed any difference in the officiating now with the new rules designed to reduce foul-baiting on 3s?

ShelC

Re: Around the League: Preseason

Post by ShelC »

I caught Heat-Rockets last night and the Heat starters looked very good. Lowry's a perfect addition, just not sure about the depth. The Rockets have a lot of young, versatile players but not sure how much they win this season.

The Knicks looked tough against the Pacers. If they can stay healthy they could surprise again this season. Pacers have some players you like, but they don't really put it together. Duarte looked very good tho. He could be the missing scorer they need on the perimeter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:24 pm
I caught Heat-Rockets last night and the Heat starters looked very good. Lowry's a perfect addition, just not sure about the depth. The Rockets have a lot of young, versatile players but not sure how much they win this season.

The Knicks looked tough against the Pacers. If they can stay healthy they could surprise again this season. Pacers have some players you like, but they don't really put it together. Duarte looked very good tho. He could be the missing scorer they need on the perimeter.
I like the Pacers. On paper, at least. Some health and fit concerns there, but they have a lot of talent.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I bet on the Pacers to win over 42.5 games about a month ago. I'm a little worried about their rumors connecting them to Ben Simmons mostly because I don't know what would happen to their roster. I can't imagine they'd try to play Simmons, Sabonis, and Turner together.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nets telling Kyrie to stay away until he's eligible as a full time player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Glad the Nets went that route, having half a player would have been less help and more hindrance. Honestly they need to trade him for whatever they can get…it won’t be much as I think he’s threatened to retire if he’s traded. Maybe they see if this pushes him to get vaccinated. Pretty sure that’s what got Wiggins to do it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

So since they told him to stay home, they have to pay him right?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 am
Glad the Nets went that route, having half a player would have been less help and more hindrance. Honestly they need to trade him for whatever they can get…it won’t be much as I think he’s threatened to retire if he’s traded. Maybe they see if this pushes him to get vaccinated. Pretty sure that’s what got Wiggins to do it.
They should trade him to Utah.

Cap

Post by Cap »

They’ve got to find a way to trade him. This situation is untenable.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:42 am
I’m guessing they still don’t have to pay him for home games, but he’s entitled to pay for road games.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:46 am
Indy wrote:
I’m guessing they still don’t have to pay him for home games, but he’s entitled to pay for road games.
Ya this would seem to be correct

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 am
They should trade him to Utah.
Haha, he’d for sure retire

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Also, Ben Simmons went to the Philly game last night to report back to the team

Cap

Post by Cap »

Irving for Simmons. The salaries match, both teams get rid of headaches, and both players end up in good situations.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

With the Nets having so much Kyrie drama, are the league's pundits coronating them a little too quickly? Every analyst I've heard has put them ahead of the Bucks, arguing that the Nets would have beaten Milwaukee last season if it weren't for a toe on the line. While there may be truth to that, do we really think the Nets will be better, and the Bucks will be worse, this coming season? Milwaukee now has championship confidence and swagger, while Brooklyn is turning into a melodramatic mess.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think if all 3 were engaged and healthy, they'd be very hard to be it. They're no slouches with KD and Harden either tho and still have good players around those guys. I'm concerned about Harden's weight and want to see if that becomes an issue. Thought he'd be more motivated to come into camp in better shape with something to prove. The Bucks don't have the "star" names or market behind them, but they'd have to be the favorites until the Bucks beat them.

I honestly don't know how the Kyrie things shakes out. I don't love Simmons on the Nets because it takes the ball out of KD's and Harden's hands. And Philly fans might eat Kyrie alive.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am
Irving for Simmons. The salaries match, both teams get rid of headaches, and both players end up in good situations.
It is the trade everyone is talking about, and it makes sense.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Maybe the Nets would play Simmons in the frontcourt where he should be.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nets say Kyrie Irving is ineligible to play amid drama over his vaccination status
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... ation-stat
Brooklyn Nets All-Star guard Kyrie Irving won't be allowed to play in practices or games, general manager Sean Marks said Tuesday, strongly suggesting that he continues to run afoul of New York City's COVID-19 vaccine mandate for professional athletes.