Around the League: Preseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Preseason

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:00 pm
Maybe the Nets would play Simmons in the frontcourt where he should be.
Having KD and Simmons in the front court would be really hard to deal with for other teams.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Simmons is an awesome defender, and you can hide Simmons's fear of shooting on a team with KD and Harden. But it would sort of waste his playmaking and ballhandling abilities to have him just sit there while KD and Harden play your-turn-my-turn. It'd be 4-on-5 on offense. I think it'd only work great if you let Simmons run the offense some of the time, but I doubt KD and Harden would want to let him do that.

I have yet to see a situation where you can put Simmons on a good/great team for a reasonable trade and make that team better. It feels like he's destined to go to a bad team where he can just do his thing with no expectations. Feels like he will be a good-stats, bad-team guy. I hope I'm wrong and he figures it out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:04 pm
Simmons is an awesome defender, and you can hide Simmons's fear of shooting on a team with KD and Harden. But it would sort of waste his playmaking and ballhandling abilities to have him just sit there while KD and Harden play your-turn-my-turn. It'd be 4-on-5 on offense. I think it'd only work great if you let Simmons run the offense some of the time, but I doubt KD and Harden would want to let him do that.

I have yet to see a situation where you can put Simmons on a good/great team for a reasonable trade and make that team better. It feels like he's destined to go to a bad team where he can just do his thing with no expectations. Feels like he will be a good-stats, bad-team guy. I hope I'm wrong and he figures it out.
I think he would be very good running pick and roll/pop with KD or Harden. You know he isn't going to be taking long 3s behind the screen, but good luck stopping him while guarding him with a 3 or a 4. And nobody can block KD's shot if he is popping. And as good as Harden is at drawing fouls on his 3s, he would be an even better 3pt shooter if he wasn't being guarded with a guy in his face.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Well, it must have to be a fraction of the ball deserved for Kyrie, so, give that fraction to Simmons and call it a day.

More precisely, they can stagger his minutes with the bench, almost as Harden’s backup from the second quarter to mid 4th, then some “Close the game if you are willing to shoot kid” treatment. Patty Mills can close with KD and Harden on his place. BUT, if they click, 4th quarter might become irrelevant twice a week or more for the Nets. Moreso that with Kyrie, as they would have a great defender on the court against the best opposing ofensive player except for centers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Interesting. I liked the Grizz a lot this year and was planning to pick them to be a surprisingly high playoff team. But this may set that back.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:34 am
Interesting. I liked the Grizz a lot this year and was planning to pick them to be a surprisingly high playoff team. But this may set that back.

Agreed. Brooks is like the trailer trash Book, with a chip on his shoulder, but he does do a lot for them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

pickle

Post by pickle »

Lowe podcast threw out a Westbrook for Kyrie theoretical trade. I hate the Lakers. Having said that, it would be high drama to reunite Kyrie with LeBron and Westbrook with Harden and Durant. Of course it will never happen, but it's fun to talk about.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Honestly, if I'm the 76ers, I just sit back and wait out a bunch of this drama. Maybe the lakers have a slow start to the season and want to shake things up. Maybe Kyrie becomes untenable in Brooklyn. If I were the 76ers, and I'm not advocating this at all, I wait till Bridges next contract kicks in and try to pry the hometown hero and maybe someone else or a few draft picks from us. I just think they don't really have to rush all that much.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think the Sixers should play Simmons. He's going to dog it like Harden did, and then his trade value will drop. I think they should sit him and just wait for the best trade to come along. The guy has said he'll never play there again, he's got his house for sale. You have to trade him. I know he's reported for duty, but that's just so he doesn't lose his money. Move the guy ASAP.

I kind of liked a Pacers/76ers trade I heard the other day that involved Brogdon. That'd be an interesting pairing with Embiid. Obviously a talent dropoff from Simmons, but if you threw in a few other Pacer assets it becomes interesting. And I love the idea of Embiid surrounded by 3-and-D deadeye shooters.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:02 am
I don't think the Sixers should play Simmons. He's going to dog it like Harden did, and then his trade value will drop. I think they should sit him and just wait for the best trade to come along. The guy has said he'll never play there again, he's got his house for sale. You have to trade him. I know he's reported for duty, but that's just so he doesn't lose his money. Move the guy ASAP.

I kind of liked a Pacers/76ers trade I heard the other day that involved Brogdon. That'd be an interesting pairing with Embiid. Obviously a talent dropoff from Simmons, but if you threw in a few other Pacer assets it becomes interesting. And I love the idea of Embiid surrounded by 3-and-D deadeye shooters.
Seems weird from Indy’s side…do they really want Simmons with Sabonis and Turner? I don’t see Philly being interested in either of those guys, so probably need a 3rd team.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A few releases the past few days around the league. Don't expect us to pick anyone up but some intriguing names out there, especially some younger players like Terry

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Pre-draft hype nearly had me convinced Tyrell Terry would be Trae Young-lite. One year later and he's probably out of the league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I was high on Terry, was even willing to take him at 10. I wonder if he’s just too small to hold up?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Terry had to take some time away for his mental health last season and earlier in the month

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marquese Chriss could be an interesting 3rd stringer big if all the people could get selective amnesia and start over from scratch. Rounds up our rotation with a 4/5 combo player.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These teams that keep cutting Chriss are teams that desperately need competent big men. If he were decent, they'd have kept him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think I’d say Portland desperately needs competent big men. They’ve got Nurkic, Zeller, Nance and even Covington. They have decent bigs.

Chriss played very well for GS when he was given a chance. I’m not sure why he’s having a hard time finding a landing spot now.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Maybe is a maturity, discipline thing. You bring him over and then you get to know him, and Teams are not to going to bite into endulging a second stringer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Possibly…there’s quite a few guys capable of being the 9-12 men on a team. No point in keeping one that might have locker room or maturity issues.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You guys are smarter than this. Marquese Chriss has always been missing the mindset that makes NBA players. Maturity, self discipline, basketball IQ, whatever.. It's all upstairs with him and it's never going to change.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.