Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
JeremyG

Re: Coronavirus

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:04 pm
First Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa:
Peak 7-day moving average of cases: 19,157 on January 11
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths: 577 on January 14
Death rate: 3.0%

Second Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Delta):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases: 20,076 on July 8
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths: 419 on July 26
Death rate: 2.1%

Third Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Omicron):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases (so far): 23,437 on December 17
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths (so far): 31
Death rate: 0.13%

(Data taken from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... th-africa/)

While the Omicron wave hasn’t quite peaked yet in South Africa, the data look very encouraging so far.
Update: it looks like December 17 may have been the peak after all for cases this wave, as the 7-day average has gone down the last two days, to 20,083 now.

So we have, so far:

Third Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Omicron):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases (so far): 23,437 on December 17
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths (so far): 33 on December 18
Death rate: 0.14%

Overall, allowing for a 2-week lag between cases and deaths, we have a death rate of 3.1% from the start of the entire pandemic to cases as of November 16/deaths as of November 30. For cases from November 16 to December 5 and deaths from November 30 to December 19, we have a death rate of 0.58%.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The unvaccinated are still dying from COVID at a greatly higher rate than the vaccinated.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Not omicron specific, but...

You are 10x more likely to get it if you are unvaccinated vs fully vaccinated.

You are 61x more likely to die from it if you are unvaccinated vs fully vaccinated.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:38 am

You are 61x more likely to die from it if you are unvaccinated vs fully vaccinated.

Compared to the side effects and Bill Gates tracking me, I'd rather roll the dice. Those numbers aren't too convincing to me.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump admits that he got the booster.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The only time Trump supporters boo Trump is when he promotes the vaccine. One of the only good things Trump has done and they boo him for it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The goal of a Death Cult is to die, no?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, all of the death cult aims to die, due to every unvaxxed dying if they get covid.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just another thing they can't get right.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, a lot of deaths that could have been avoided. So sad for them and their families.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:38 am

Per 100k what? People? Or 100k of each group? If it's just the general population, then that statistic is pointless for the booster since not very many people are boosted.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-1 ... kely-wont/
Nearly a quarter (23%) of fully vaccinated adults have already received a COVID-19 booster shot, more than double the share who had done so in October (10%), the latest KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor report reveals.Dec 2, 2021

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think they're going to get Dr. Fauci killed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, the Fauci hate is real.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Someone has to be the fall guy for Covid. It’s all his fault!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Interesting article from CNBC: Americans are tired of Covid – and the official response to omicron has only created more frustration https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/21/america ... usion.html
A lack of leadership, both federally and locally, has led to small factions operating in their own self interest rather than following a unified policy, said Erik Gordon, a professor at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. That’s happened because the public has seen Covid responses as both hyper-political and unreliable, Gordon said.

“There is no authoritative anchor to where we are or what we should do,” Gordon said. “Does anyone believe what the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) says anymore? Ten years ago, people trusted the CDC. If you don’t trust the people who are supposed to be smart, you’re left to your devices.”

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm tired of the whining from people who barely passed their high school science class.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:06 pm
I'm tired of the whining from people who barely passed their high school science class.
It isn't just them. It is everyone. The leaders aren't willing to do anything besides say "get your shot." We shouldn't be allowed to get on a plane without being vaccinated (or have one of those very rare conditions that prevent you from getting a vaccine). We shouldn't be having huge indoor gatherings without masks, unless everyone is boosted and tested before. We shouldn't be ready to tell NBA players that it is OK to play ball even if you have COVID as long as your symptoms aren't too bad (this is coming very soon).

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Once Omicron is the virtually exclusive strain (and we’re almost there—only 4.7% of cases in the Southeast US were Delta last week), I see no reason to treat it any differently than other viruses players get. They can’t keep putting players into protocols for something that is milder than influenza.

Split T

Post by Split T »

As far as basketball is concerned I could see them moving towards a vaccinated/boostered players just don’t test unless they have symptoms. Zach Lowe had Dr. Robby Sikka on his podcast today who said the nba doesn’t need to pause. They are a near 100% vaccinated population and I believe he said 60% are boostered.

My own thoughts now, but as that boostered number jumps into the 90% range, I’d have no problem if they decided to stop testing boostered players and only test non boostered players.